The Student Room Group

Lack of focus on revision at night

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Memphis93
Hi guys! I'm currently trying to revise for 10 subjects, and I have to say the workload is pretty heavy and there is lots to remember. My first exam is in 32 days and I find it really hard to focus on studying at night, unlike during the day. Does anyone else find it hard to study at night or is it just me?

It is obvious that your best time to revise is during the day and so you are just wasting your time at night. Try instead to get a good night's sleep then wake up earlier to make the most of your day. Your revision sessions will therefore be more profitable and you will be more relaxed and calm for the exams. :smile:
Reply 21
I did 10 subjects... it wasn't too bad. But yeah I found it if you just revised in the day and afternoon you could take the evenings off. It was like a working day.
Reply 22
Just study in the day. Get up at a reasonable time and study. There is plenty of time to study for 10 subjects if you do it everyday. Studying at night is just going to burn you out and make your studying the next day less efficient.
Then go to sleep kid and revise during the day. Being overworked will reduce your mental performance.
Just get up early, revise until 9.30pm and then watch some TV as a treat. All the best TV is on at 9.30 :ahee:
I don't know you, but I really don't think you need to be doing that many hours of revision and worrying so much. GCSEs (compared to A levels and a degree) are not that difficult. Most reasonably intelligent people can get A's in a fair few subjects with barely any revision what so ever if they have paid attention in class. For example, I didn't revise RE and textiles at all and got A's in them, barely revised humanities, biology and chemistry and got As in them as well. I am by no means a genius and went to a terrible school, no tutors or any help from older siblings or parents either. So if I can do it, I'm sure with all your revision you will do fine.

Everyone has different needs, but you shouldn't need to be revising that many hours in a day and stressing out so much to get good grades. Around 4 or 5 hours a day should be sufficient. It's all about quality not quantity :smile:
Well, I guess I'm weird then. I find myself best in the "mood" for revising/learning at night - Not Late Night, basically 7pm-2am.
Reply 27
Last year during GCSE's, once the Easter holiday finished I was studying until like 2am-3am most nights. You WILL burn out. It might be alright now, but that's because you're able to lie in in the mornings to make up for the lost hours of sleep. You can't sustain a sleep pattern where you go to sleep at 2am-3am and wake up at 7am. But yeah, I'm most productive at night too! :smile: (although I've been really lazy tonight, which I am going to have to make up for tomorrow, but I'm doing AS now).
Reply 28
Original post by Memphis93
I get about 8 hours sleep (during the easter holiday) I go to bed about 3 am and wake up at 11 in the morning, so it's not that bad :wink: But I usually find it hard to go to sleep cause I'm stressed about the looming exams! I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling that way.

Yes you can say that again! im quite freaked out myself but at GCSE level i dont think you should be stressing out too much, you'll do fiine!
Reply 29
Original post by laura130490
I don't know you, but I really don't think you need to be doing that many hours of revision and worrying so much. GCSEs (compared to A levels and a degree) are not that difficult. Most reasonably intelligent people can get A's in a fair few subjects with barely any revision what so ever if they have paid attention in class. For example, I didn't revise RE and textiles at all and got A's in them, barely revised humanities, biology and chemistry and got As in them as well. I am by no means a genius and went to a terrible school, no tutors or any help from older siblings or parents either. So if I can do it, I'm sure with all your revision you will do fine.

Everyone has different needs, but you shouldn't need to be revising that many hours in a day and stressing out so much to get good grades. Around 4 or 5 hours a day should be sufficient. It's all about quality not quantity :smile:

I definately agree with you there, compared to GCSEs, A-levels are the hardest thing ever!

Quick Reply

Latest