The Student Room Group

Help with S1 Probability Question?

An online readers' club has 50 members. Glasses are work by 15 members, 18 are left handed and 21 are female. There are four females who are left handed, three females who wear glasses and five members who wear glasses are are left handed. Only one member wears glasses, is left handed and female.

A member is selected at random. Find the probability that the member wears glasses given that she is left handed and female.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Dr.Pwepper
An online readers' club has 50 members. Glasses are work by 15 members, 18 are left handed and 21 are female. There are four females who are left handed, three females who wear glasses and five members who wear glasses are are left handed. Only one member wears glasses, is left handed and female.

A member is selected at random. Find the probability that the member wears glasses given that she is left handed and female.

Thanks!

Draw a venn diagram.

It is a conditional probability question.
Reply 2
Original post by raheem94
Draw a venn diagram.

It is a conditional probability question.

Yeah, done that already. I'm stuck on what to do after that.

I've attached an image of the venn diagram here...

Untitled.png
Reply 3
Because there are six sub-categories a Two way table would be easier than a VD
This is how I do it but it might sound a bit confusing ....

You basically look at your venn diagram and tackle the given that part first 'given that she is left handed and female'
and see how many people there are that wear glasses and are female... in your diagram, it's a total of 4.
This becomes the denominator.

Then in this overlap region, you look for the bit where the glasses circle overlaps with female and Left handed or in other words, the number of people who are LF, wear glasses and are female which is 1 here. This part becomes your numerator.

So 1/4 should be your answer...

Hope that helps!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Dr.Pwepper
Yeah, done that already. I'm stuck on what to do after that.

I've attached an image of the venn diagram here...

Untitled.png

We have to use conditional probability so we have to concentrate on the region marked in green.

In the region in green, how many members are there in total?
How many member in the green region are left handed, wear glasses and are female?
Reply 6
Original post by Jasmine_777
This is how I do it but it might sound a bit confusing ....

You basically look at your venn diagram and tackle the given that part first 'given that she is left handed and female'
and see how many people there are that wear glasses and are female... in your diagram, it's a total of 4.
This becomes the denominator.

Then in this overlap region, you look for the bit where the glasses circle overlaps with female and Left handed or in other words, the number of people who are LF, wear glasses and are female which is 1 here. This part becomes your numerator.

So 1/4 should be your answer...

Hope that helps!

You're awesome! Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest