The Student Room Group

Revision/Discussion Thread Edexcel Economics Unit 2 Friday 25th of May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tsunami2011

Does anyone know when this exam is? morning or afternoon?

morning :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by PeaceLoveKindness
morning :smile:

Damn :frown: Luckily I have 82 from my attempt in AS, so just trying to boost it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
The mark scheme says you have to a shift in AS.

Though for AD it would just be a movement along right as price levels rise?

EDIT: It's in the morning. 9AM.

Yeah, that sounds right. You would shift AS to the left, price levels would go up. Talk about cost-push inflation. For many questions you can get 4 marks just for the diagram.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Damn :frown: Luckily I have 82 from my attempt in AS, so just trying to boost it.

Impressive! I hope I get around the same... I feel like I'm ready but I don't want to stop revising just in case! I LOVE economics, I hope to study it in uni :smile: I just want a really good grade at AS and A2

Reply 144
Original post by baggyyo
you editted it already sorry. :s

We were both on the ball :smile:
Can someone explain to me the concept of the positive/negative output gap and what they actually mean?

Reply 146
quick question, how do you explain purchasing power parity?
Reply 147
Any tips to getting near full marks on this paper~?
Original post by egg123
Any tips to getting near full marks on this paper~?

Mark scheme. You'll realise what you need to do for every question, i.e the first question is always 'definition and then any credible reference to the data/figures. 12 markers 2 good points + 1 or 2 evaluation ponts. It is also possible to gain full marks on a 8 marker by just drawing a diagram and explaining the transmission mechanisms.
Reply 149
Original post by RoseIC

Purchasing Power Parity means that when GDP per capita is converted into US dollars, it is done so at an exchange rate where the same basket of goods can be bought in each country for the same amount. So basically, it takes into account price differences between countries.
June 11
What relationship might be expected between the average earning growth and the unemployment?

Can some one please answer this question
6 marker =D
Original post by Jack_Smith
June 11
What relationship might be expected between the average earning growth and the unemployment?

6 marker =D

I remember this from last year, pretty much stopped me getting 90%+.

Can discuss the Phillips Curve and notion that low unemployment comes with high inflation,etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 152
Original post by PeaceLoveKindness
Can someone explain to me the concept of the positive/negative output gap and what they actually mean?

Positive output gap = Actual GDP > Predicted (trend rate) of growth or GDP
in a positive output gap there are inflationary pressures, boost in AD, firms doing well, maybe a surplus.

Negative output gap = Opposite. I.E. Actual GDP < Predicted (trend rate) of growth or GDP
Reply 153
June 11

6 marker =D

There's a inverse relationship between average earning growth and the unemployment. As we approach full employment, prices of goods and services start to rise because businesses are paying higher wages to attract workers. Therefore, when average earnings is high, unemployment is low. In addition, as average earnings increases, people start to spend more as they have more disposable income. Therefore, AD increases and this creates derived demand for labour as firms will need to hire more workers to produce more outputs to meet the increased demand.
Original post by RoseIC

Difference between what can be purchased in one country at a price in comparison to another.
Often referred to as the 'Big Mac Index' or 'Burgernomics' (haha), where they compare prices for Big Macs across many countries.
Original post by ryanboi
There's a inverse relationship between average earning growth and the unemployment. As we approach full employment, prices of goods and services start to rise because businesses are paying higher wages to attract workers. Therefore, when average earnings is high, unemployment is low. In addition, as average earnings increases, people start to spend more as they have more disposable income. Therefore, AD increases and this creates derived demand for labour as firms will need to hire more workers to produce more outputs to meet the increased demand.

Oh thanks mate! The ms seemed to put me off what i wrote which was similar to yours! Anyways good luck for tomorrow!!
Reply 156
Oh thanks mate! The ms seemed to put me off what i wrote which was similar to yours! Anyways good luck for tomorrow!!

Good Luck man :smile:
Reply 157
hey everybody, does anyone know where can i find the january 2012 paper of unit 2 of edexcel?
Original post by Skilled
Positive output gap = Actual GDP > Predicted (trend rate) of growth or GDP
in a positive output gap there are inflationary pressures, boost in AD, firms doing well, maybe a surplus.

Negative output gap = Opposite. I.E. Actual GDP < Predicted (trend rate) of growth or GDP

Thanks a lot! I was beginning to think people were ignoring me :smile:

How long would people say answers need to be? Lets go on average hand writing...

4 marks?
6 marks?
10 marks?
12 marks?
16 marks?
30 marks?

Teacher has always guided us with "mark a minute", but looking at some examiner materials, some people seem to manage a 30 marker in a page and a bit and get all 30 marks! And likewise, some people manage to put a 6 mark question in just a few sentences.
Is there the danger of over waffling or in this type of paper is waffle good?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending