The Student Room Group

Fat People on Plane

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is a strange thread but I will reply anyway as im that bored.

I would say in that instance probably yes as the guy clearly cant fit into one seat and he is blocking the isle.

Also that really cant be comfortable sitting like that
Reply 2
Yes.
wow what if someone needed the toilet and couldn't get past... awkward! :|
Yeah they should buy two seats if they are that size.. perhaps it will make them realise they should exercise when they have to go through the embarressment of asking for 2 seats and have people looking..! It would also make them more comfortable

Didn't mean to be harsh! I'm def not a skinny person lol but it is bad when you can't fit in an airplane seat :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
If you can't fit into one seat you should definitely have to buy two -_-
Reply 5
The guys breaking the seat, look at how it's tilted!
If you're so large that you're encroaching on the seat of the person sat next to you then yes. They've paid for their seat, you shouldn't get some of it because you're too big to fit on the one you've paid for.
Reply 7
Didn't mean to be harsh! I'm def not a skinny person lol but it is bad when you can't fit in an airplane seat
Reply 8
i have had it with these motherf*ckin fat people on these motherf*ckin planes
Reply 9
See people like that shouldn't be aloud to fly, he's clearly a safety hazard. Send him via a shipping container.
Yes, people should be made to buy an extra seat if they're extra big. And they should also pay for a screen so they are shielded from view.
Yes they should have two seats, whether or not they pay for them both should be determined by their doctor.

It's not fair to force someone with a thyroid problem to pay double when it's out of their control. However if you allow yourself to get that big through over-indulgence then you have to face the consequences.

If your obesity is as a result of a health problem, provide a doctor's note upon purchasing your ticket, NHS covers the cost of the extra seat (this only applies to UK passengers). If not, then you have to cover the cost yourself.

Nobody gets weighed and humiliated, flight companies don't lose out, it's all pre-arranged so there's no problem on the day and it provides an extra incentive to those who need to lose weight, to lose weight. Win win imo.
Reply 12
I believe most airlines make you buy two seats if you are over a certain weight.
I wonder how the guy reacted when they said we are moving you to a different row because you don't fit on the seat. I agree with both people on the video if you needs two seats then you should pay for two but practically you can't really do that. I don't think this is a real problem though and not something an airline should have policies for. The guy on the video is respecting the person sat next to him and if someone needs to walk past they can turn sideways and fit through without too much inconvenience. I don't see how him being there is a safety issue, how is he making the flight more dangerous for anyone? The only potential problem could be getting the trolley through but I am sure he could squeeze in for a moment when they bring that through. If there this a spare row then it makes sense to put him there but if not then just make the best of it. I think situtations like that just need a bit of common sense and for people to be reasonible.
Original post by DYKWIA
I believe most airlines make you buy two seats if you are over a certain weight.

That's the first I've heard. You can be big and under the weight limit though and also unable to fit in the seat.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Yes they should have two seats, whether or not they pay for them both should be determined by their doctor.

It's not fair to force someone with a thyroid problem to pay double when it's out of their control. However if you allow yourself to get that big through over-indulgence then you have to face the consequences.

If your obesity is as a result of a health problem, provide a doctor's note upon purchasing your ticket, NHS covers the cost of the extra seat (this only applies to UK passengers). If not, then you have to cover the cost yourself.

Nobody gets weighed and humiliated, flight companies don't lose out, it's all pre-arranged so there's no problem on the day and it provides an extra incentive to those who need to lose weight, to lose weight. Win win imo.

How is the airline going to know if a person is obese or not?
Reply 16
Original post by Wilfred Little
That's the first I've heard. You can be big and under the weight limit though and also unable to fit in the seat.

if you are seated next to a person of size who is infringing on your space you can ask to be moved and the flight crew have to oblige. If they can't find another seat then they have to take a passenger off the plane. I don't actually know what happens to the fat person if that happens though.
Reply 17
Original post by Sternumator

If you can't fit into the seat belt, then you have to use a seat belt extender. If you don't fit that - then you are too fat. Also, if you infringe on the space of a fellow passenger.
Original post by DYKWIA
If you can't fit into the seat belt, then you have to use a seat belt extender. If you don't fit that - then you are too fat. Also, if you infringe on the space of a fellow passenger.

But you are only going to realise that once everyone has paid for their tickets and boarded the plane. Would you get security to remove them from the plane unless they then paid for another ticket while the plane was waiting to take off. The plane could potentially be fully so there might not be any other seats.
Original post by Sternumator

I don't get it?

The obese passenger informs them upon buying the ticket by supplying the doctor's note.

Quick Reply

Latest