The Student Room Group

Intercal BSc Microbiology

Hi Everybody,

If I were to decide to do a BSc or B Med Sci in Microbiology as an Intercalated year, would I leave with the same knowledge and qualification as someone who studied the BSc/B Med Sci Microbiology course seperately? Does the intercalated course have the same amount of lab hours and practical experience as the full time BSc?

If it helps, I'm considering Edinburgh and Glasgow. I know that Edinburgh only offer the one-year B Med Sci, whereas Glasgow also offer a two year BSc.

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
As far as a I'm aware, intercalating medical students are dropped in the 3rd year of the respective intercalation programmes and are expected to perform to the same standards as those who are doing the regular BSc. I doubt they expect you to have the same prior knowledge, as yours will be superficial compared to the regular cohort, but you will be expected to cover a lot more ground very quickly (catching up on some essential bits you missed, getting familiar with lots of stats, and then learning the stuff taught in 3rd year on top of that) in order to sit the same finals papers as them.

When you do sit in the 3rd year of the BSc when intercalating, you will have the same timetable as those on that course - with the same amount of lab time, lectures, tutorials etc. Though obviously, in years 1+2 of your medicine degree, you won't have their equivalents of lab time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending