Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who would you save: A beloved pet or a complete stranger?

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
  • View Poll Results: Who would you save?
    Complete stranger
    55.75%
    Beloved pet
    43.08%
    Neither
    1.17%

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't not pick the stranger. It's most likely just to be a normal, regular guy who has a loving family. How could I explain to them I saved a hamster over his life?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wow, animal people really are crazy.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXchachaXX)
    A human being
    good. i wud do that too.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It'd be quite a strange scenario in which both my cat and a stranger are in mortal peril and I have to choose one.

I'd go for the human being. My family and I would hold a small funeral in the garden for the cat and be sad for a while but it's better that than a small child having to attend its mother or father's funeral.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think most people would gain more utility value from saving their own pet than a random stranger, so it's not that irrational. Also, people are usually bastards to some degree or another, I'm sure Hitler's family would have missed him (had he not killed them) as well so saving someone on the basis that their family/friends might miss them is not that great a reason IMO.

It's a tough decision, I'd hate to kill my loyal dog then find out I'd saved a murderer/rapist etc...someone more versed in game theory than me could probably add in that regret factor as well to the equation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Strangers die all the time. I don't get upset about it. I't doesn't affect me. So i'd save my pet.

I'm not a crazy animal person btw. I don't see how anyone who doesn't give all their money over and above what they really need to those 'look at the poor africans starving' people can criticize my caring about my cat, which I don't really need, over some randomer.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    Strangers die all the time. I don't get upset about it. I't doesn't affect me. So i'd save my pet.

I'm not a crazy animal person btw. I don't see how anyone who doesn't give all their money over and above what they really need to those 'look at the poor africans starving' people can criticize my caring about my cat, which I don't really need, over some randomer.
    difference being youre the one who actually kills them in this scenario given you chose your pet over them, you are responcible, while with your example, its simply about aid, youre just being kind by helping... not giving aid=/=you killing

you wont mind if i kill you then if i chose between my fish and you?... you are in fact a stranger to me afterall...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    The people who say "pet" really scare me.

Dont get me wrong, ive had my dog scince I as 4 years old and I will cry like a baby when she dies....but c'mon people its a human who most likly has a family, friends and loved one.
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a stranger
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a pet but I'm pretty sure I'd save a stranger. People who are saying they'd save an animal and let a person die are ****ing PETA-loving hippies.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To me, this question is like saying "who would you save: a beloved family member, or a complete stranger?"
    I love my dogs and they are a part of my family; just because they aren't human doesn't give them any less right to live in my opinion, especially when they've given me nothing but love throughout their lives. :yep:

So, although it appears to be an unpopular view, I'd pick my pets!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    It's called "People Trafficing"
    touche :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buddhacoffee)
    To me, this question is like saying "who would you save: a beloved family member, or a complete stranger?"
    I love my dogs and they are a part of my family; just because they aren't human doesn't give them any less right to live in my opinion, especially when they've given me nothing but love throughout their lives. :yep:

So, although it appears to be an unpopular view, I'd pick my pets!

Well put, pets for myself too. Wouldn't even be a moment of hesitation.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    My beloved pet every time, my dog is another family member to me.Besides which, as I'm getting older I'm finding other people annoy me!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread makes me despair for humanity. 35% of people would save their pet?! You might as well save your iPad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be an automatic reaction for me to save a person over an animal.

It would be difficult to say no to a pet who you probs view as a family member, but could you live with yourself knowing that that person's family had lost a brother/sister/son/daughter?

I really loved my cat and thought it was the end of the world when it died. However I got over it very quickly.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The person...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My natural instinct would be to save my pet since I love her so so much, but I know I would have to save the stranger and as much as it would kill me I would, the pain of the strangers family, parents, siblings, friends and possibly children, would outweigh the pain I would feel for losing my beloved pet
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian but I'd still rather eat an animal than have someone die because I didn't want to.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't value human life in the slightest, so definitly my faithful and loyal dog.

My dog is innocent and part of the family, whereas the stranger could be a killer, rapist, druggie, child abuser, woman beater...

Also I'm fairly sure most of you would get out your iphones and just film it, rather than save anything.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.