The Student Room Group

Who would you save: A beloved pet or a complete stranger?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it's anything to do with your studies , there's probly much more powerful reasons for feeling obliged to save either one.
Original post by M4LLY
I'd save a beloved pet anytime. Its just natural instinct to protect the things you love.

This, and I imagine it applies to the majority of people.

EDIT: Then again that poll says different - however, my answer still rests with the pet option - way I see it, pets aren't just animals we keep in our houses, they're actually part of the family (albeit much shorter-lived ones), therefore, a pet in my mind is similar to a family member, rather than just an animal, the stranger does not have anywhere near the same connection to me than the pet.
(edited 12 years ago)
I didn't neg you, but I thought I'd respond anyway :h:

Who would you rather choose, a family member or a stranger? Family member obviously wins due to your connection to them.
Whilst I accept the premise and conclusion in your post, I disagree with it entirely; you're talking about a total stranger. They could be a rapist or serial killer for all you know. Granted, the chances of that are incredibly low, but I'm incredibly indecisive.
Mix that indecision with my contempt for humanity, and you're left with:
A) A pet that definitely isn't a rapist or a serial killer.
B) Someone I neither know nor care for who might be a rapist/serial killer.
C) Going back to what I said earlier about the family member: just as you have a connection to them, you also have a connection to your pet. As previously mentioned, a stranger is someone I neither know or care for.

Pet wins every time.

Humans are naturally selfish, and I'm unwilling to go against my natural instincts just so I can turn around and add "altruistic" to my list of personality traits (I'm fairly altruistic as it is, so losing a few points isn't going to do much).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Multitalented me
I obviously don't wish this kind of situation to befall on any of you but if you were put in this situation then who would you save? Personally I would save the stranger since in most cases I value human life more.

Neither. I'd simply smile as they both slowly died. :smile:
Reply 64
As soon as I read the title I though: pet.

I'm really into humans and everything, but I love my dogs with all of my heart and I couldn't live with myself knowing that I'd let them die.
Original post by IAmTheWumAndOnly
Neither. I'd simply smile as they both slowly died. :smile:

Then lets hope you are never in that kind of situation (or if you are, that your life is in someone's hands who has a similar outlook to you).
Im not arguing about the syntax of the question. Its irrelevant.

You have £200 in your pocket. You could use it to save a human life. Instead you spend it on yourself, on a new possession. If we remove the point about the value of animal life and for the purpose of the argument see the pet simply as a possession and assume this thread is a reasonable enough sample of public attitudes then why does this massive valuation of human life not extend to the african situation? If it did people would feel too guilty buying iphones while people were starving. I don't think people value the life of the stranger quite as much as they like to think they do.
Original post by green.tea
Im not arguing about the syntax of the question. Its irrelevant.

You have £200 in your pocket. You could use it to save a human life. Instead you spend it on yourself, on a new possession. If we remove the point about the value of animal life and for the purpose of the argument see the pet simply as a possession and assume this thread is a reasonable enough sample of public attitudes then why does this massive valuation of human life not extend to the african situation? If it did people would feel too guilty buying iphones while people were starving. I don't think people value the life of the stranger quite as much as they like to think they do.

Not to mention the fact that stuff like Mobile phones use minerals which are extracted in pretty nasty conditions by people working in Africa (specifically Congo I think) :frown:
A scary number of people are using the justification for saving their pet of 'the person might be a murderer or a rapist', or even Hitler.

I'm sorry, what?!

You would allow another human to die on the basis that they might have committed a serious crime? 99% of people never do anything worse than going 35 in a 30 zone! Can you imagine if a paramedic turned up after you'd just had a heart attack, and then said, 'I'd better not help him, there's a chance that he could go on to kill someone!' I know it's not the same situation, but the point stands. The vast majority of strangers are good people, I hate to think that anyone could let them die on the premise that they might be bad. Besides, they're more likely to be a complete saint who brings happiness to many than misery to a few.

I love my pets a great deal, but human compassion would make me save the stranger.
Thats a really tough one, as much as i love animals and my pet i think it would have to be the stranger who i save. Stranger could be married and have kids and the thought that they never see them again would be too hard to have on my conscience. Preferably never be put in this situation though because i would feel overwhelming guilt and would probably have ended up with both dying since i would have to think for so long.
Reply 70
It's pretty clear the reason for your negs, the question stated that the pet is beloved by you. Regardless of what may seem rational to you now, I'm sure that in the situation you would pick the pet as you already have a bond with it.
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Then lets hope you are never in that kind of situation (or if you are, that your life is in someone's hands who has a similar outlook to you).

If I am ever in that situation I'd rather die as God intended. People trying to save others are just messing with natures script.
Reply 72
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
The people who say "pet" really scare me.

Dont get me wrong, ive had my dog scince I as 4 years old and I will cry like a baby when she dies....but c'mon people its a human who most likly has a family, friends and loved one.

My dogs are my family, my friends, and my loved ones...
If I am ever in that situation I'd rather die as God intended. People trying to save others are just messing with natures script.

By that logic why not refuse medical treatment and so on? - After all, isn't that just delaying the inevitable?

On topic though - As a matter of interest why would you not be able to feel the slightest bit of compassion even for one of your pets? (or close family)?, I can vaugely understand a complete stranger meaning nothing to you, but honestly can't see the logic in not caring for those closest to you (i.e. your family).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
I didn't neg you and you're not wrong, its just your opinion and your take on things. I would absolutely 100% choose my cat back home because she's the most wonderful thing ever. Her breed bonds with one person in the family and that person was me and she shared and helped with lots of down periods in my childhood and teenage years. You and others can mock all you like, but it doesn't make a difference. You save the strangers, we'll save the animals. :smile:
Reply 75
I can't believe how many people picked their pet... It will obviously be very saddening for you if you lost your pet and you had the chanse to save him... However human lifes are more important. Not because other animals don't have rights or that humans are somehow superior but because we are the same species.
As much as I respect people who fight for animal rights and against animal cruelty, some people go way too far. Its one thing wanting to put justice into people who abuse animals for fun,gambling, etc etc... and its a total different story when you value that animal more than a human. E.g euthanasia on violent dogs.

I think (and hope) the reason people are picking their pets is because the choice their making is between: pet vs criminal rather than pet vs stranger as otherwise it just proves how little some people care about others. Yeah you will still save the pet but only because you own it and it belongs to you.
If we toke the pet out of the equation, I bet there will be people that choose to save their pet will not even bother to save the stranger and just continue on their way.
This is just an example of the sad truth that most people only care about themselves and doing the right thing is no longer right.

I've obviosly extended this question to other areas slightly off topic but I do think that they relate to this question.
Reply 76

I belive in god but this statement is redicilous and it reminds me of this joke:

There was a very religious man named Jim, who lived near a river. One day, the river rose over the banks and flooded the town, and Jim was forced to climb onto his porch roof. While sitting there, a man in a boat came along and told Jim to get in the boat with him.

Jim said, "No, that's okay. God will take care of me."

So, the man in the boat drove off.

The water rose higher, so Jim climbed onto his roof. At that time, another boat came along, and the person in that one told Jim to get in.

Jim replied, "No, that's okay. God will take care of me."

The person in the boat then left.

The water rose even more, and Jim climbed onto his chimney. A helicopter came along and lowered a ladder for him. The woman in the helicopter told Jim to climb up the ladder and get in.

Jim said, "That's okay."

The woman said, "Are you sure?"

Jim replied, "Yeah, I'm sure God will take care of me."

Finally, the water rose too high and Jim drowned. Jim got to heaven and was face-to-face with God.

Jim said to God, "You told me that you would take care of me! What happened?"

God replied, "Well, I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What else did you want?"
This is a really hard decision :frown:! Im trying to think what sort of situation i would be in to make that decision. I think i would have to ask myself which one could i live with, explaining to that strangers family or friend why i chose my dog, or explaining my family why i chose the stranger. I think i would save that stranger.
Reply 78
No I do totally understand your opinion and can see exactly why you feel that way...its pretty normal to feel that way after all. If there was a fire at my parents id like to think id be able to save my cat and help everyone else...if she was a cow or a horse, things might be different haha.
Reply 79
Human life > an animals life.

end of thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending