Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.

Anyone else think this is a total myth?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    It may surprise you to learn that impending starvation is a powerful inducement to labour.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They have to have a greater work ethic else how will they survive?
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Third world" lol, what a fallacy
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arguably their work ethic is very low, considering their lack of progress.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Arguably their work ethic is very low, considering their lack of progress.
    Lack of work ethic doesn't have to do with lack of progress. Corruption and uneven populations have to do with lack of progress.

As for the OP, it is not a myth. All you need to do is observe how people in the 'third world' live to see it's not true.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends what country, province, village, household. Everybody is different. There are lazy and hardworking people everywhere
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol course they do they didn't grow up in a welfare state. Once they work out the welfare state their "work ethic" will be the same as that of non-third worlders. Their children will likely have the same "work ethic" as english children. Unemployment is higher amongst descendants of immigrants than the english people they are coming "to do the jobs for".
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose they do have a great or greater work ethic.

The problem is that when 3rd worlders start working for a period of time, they eventually start to talk about conditions and pay. Then it is a whole new ball game.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    I suppose they do have a great or greater work ethic.

The problem is that when 3rd worlders start working for a period of time, they eventually start to talk about conditions and pay. Then it is a whole new ball game.
    Not really, you just import more that don't talk about conditions and pay. Easy.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Not really, you just import more that don't talk about conditions and pay. Easy.
    That's one solution that the capitalists have probably looked into.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unlike in this country, education is not a right, but rather a privilege. If a family works very hard just to send their child to school to get a basic education, I think that child would at least be expected to make an effort.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you become a capitalist? Most of the shops, restaurants, petrol pumps, post offices etc. in my area are run by immigrants.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have looked into? It is current policy. lol. I can't think of why else we need about half a million people every year. It's certainly not cause we've got spare housing or unused infrastructure.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you mean in education, well the alternative for many people to getting good grades, and a good degree and therefore a good job would be to be a labourer, and since labourers can get laid off, I'd say without education in a country with a low income per capita there's a high chance you'd be living in abject poverty. Certainly living conditions would be much worse in general than in the UK or other 1st world nations.

Thats Motivation right there
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    Why don't you become a capitalist? Most of the shops, restaurants, petrol pumps, post offices etc. in my area are run by immigrants.
    Why would that make you want to become a capitalist?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Its a generalisation. But that said, people who come with nothing and end up with something, generally have a good work ethic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty difficult to judge their work ethic given their situation.

In the western world, most people work to improve their lives, and be able to afford nicer things. Very few actually work to stay alive, as the welfare system is enough for them to not have to worry about mere existence.

For many in the third world, the choice is much simpler: work hard or die. The true test of work ethic only comes when work is not a prerequisite for staying alive. Until then, we can only assume that the people who live there are exactly the same as us: a mixed bunch, some of whom are lazy, some of whom are hard-working.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Why would that make you want to become a capitalist?
    It's either that or worker and he doesn't seem to want to be a worker.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont think they have much of a choice to be honest they cant afford to get by, by doing the bare minimum they have no safety net like we do and theres a **** load more of them than us so competition is far steeper.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 15, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.