The Student Room Group

Would this be good enough...

I want to go SOAS (school of Oriental and African Studies) to study International Management and Japanese (with year abroad). I have an A level in Japanese (A grade) but nothing else!

I want to go to SOAS in Oct 2013 so I am going to do 1 more A level this year. I have decided to choose Maths and will try and complete it in one year.

In GCSE's I have got mostly A's but I decided to leave and play tennis full time, but I sustained a career ending injury.

If I get an A in Maths next year, would 2 A's be enough for me to get in, or are you universities strict on the fact you need 3 full A levels...

I wanted to know if there was anything I could do during this summer, any courses in management to make my UCAS look better, to make the university see I am very serious! If there are any courses like that or anything which could interest or help me, please help!

Many thanks
Reply 1
You should email SOAS and ask. Your circumstances are very peculiar so they might make an exception regarding the entry requirements.
Reply 2
I think it would be worth emailing SOAS admissions and asking what their typical offers are. You might find 2 A Levels are sufficient if you plan on doing a management course as well, try the Open University, their level 1 courses are equivalent to first year uni study so completion of one of those will show you are capable of study at that level.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/business-and-management/index.htm
Reply 3
Ok thanks, another thing to point out is I would be 21 by the time I start uni. Does that qualify me as 'mature student?'
Reply 4
Original post by mickstar813
Ok thanks, another thing to point out is I would be 21 by the time I start uni. Does that qualify me as 'mature student?'

Yep fraid so! 21 and over is classed as 'mature' but join the club! You won't be the only one don't worry :smile: plus universities are more likely to accept non-standard entry from mature students.
Reply 5
Haha. That's good news I guess. Thank you so much for all the help. Any more information would be really appreciated.
Reply 6
Were you by any chance on a Sports Excellence apprenticeship?
Reply 7
No, I didn't take that offer because i was on another scholarship.

Quick Reply

Latest