The Student Room Group

The term "Making love" should be banned because it is impossible!

Love can't be created....

Sex is due to lust not love so why do people call sex with people you love a"Making love"?
Reply 1
Your not making lust either are you?
Original post by Knighted
Your not making lust either are you?

No but you are acting on your lust...
Reply 3
Original post by AvatarMew
No but you are acting on your lust...

Fair, from now on I shall say "I am acting upon my lust"

Not that I said making love much anyway lol.
I could be very wrong but it may have something to do with other European languages where 'machen' (German) 'faire' (French) and 'hacer' (Spanish) as examples, mean either 'to do' or 'to make'. Doing love would make slightly more sense if it's a euphemism for sex, yet there's probably some other way that love got into the translation.

p.s Send it in to Susie Dent on Countdown and get her to find out its origin. If it sounds stupid, we'll get people on TSR to stop using it eh? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Sex might be due to lust, but during sex you might be creating "love".

Love is a qualia.
There are different ways of experiencing and interpreting it.
Intuition, emotion, logic are ways of knowing it.
Science, religion, art are areas of knowledge which can help interpret.

You can "make love" according to Robert Sternberg.

Spoiler

We could also look at what "making love" means in other ways to whats inside the spoiler.

Hormones produced during sexual intercourse (vasopressin, which i believe is synonymous to oxytocin) can evoke feelings of intimacy and commitment associated with the qualia, "love".

As such, the feelings of love are being created. I.e. You are making love.
It's just a figure of speech. Would you have us ban every single phrase that isn't literally correct?
No, the term "making love" should be banned because it makes sex sound weak and naff.
Original post by RichyFrench
I could be very wrong but it may have something to do with other European languages where 'machen' (German) 'faire' (French) and 'hacer' (Spanish) as examples, mean either 'to do' or 'to make'. Doing love would make slightly more sense if it's a euphemism for sex, yet there's probably some other way that love got into the translation.

This is one of my favourite ever posts on here. :smile:

Well, as Chumbaniya said, it does sound a bit naff, but I think sex definitely can feel full of love; very tender and affectionate. :smile: Or maybe I haven't been doing it right. :awesome:
If a guy said to me in bed "Would you like to act upon lust tonight darling?" I'd tell him to **** right off.
Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie
This is one of my favourite ever posts on here. :smile:

Well, as Chumbaniya said, it does sound a bit naff, but I think sex definitely can feel full of love; very tender and affectionate. :smile: Or maybe I haven't been doing it right. :awesome:

Well, I aim to please but I didn't expect that :tongue: Thanks :biggrin:
There are plenty of phrases that mean something that only makes sense in context, and that you wouldn't neccesarily be able to work out from first principles. In the case of this particular term, it has only meant to engage in sexual intercourse for about 50 years or so. For hundreds of years prior, it meant cuddling, kissing, whispering sweet nothings, that sort of thing. It still retains the connotation of sex with more love and tenderness than is implied by many other euphemisms, and in that sense is a useful addition to the english language, because it allows for more precision in describing the nature of the act.
Original post by RichyFrench
Well, I aim to please but I didn't expect that :tongue: Thanks :biggrin:

I love languages, y'see, so the approach you took to deciphering the phrase "making love" made me happy. :h:
Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie
I love languages, y'see, so the approach you took to deciphering the phrase "making love" made me happy. :h:

Aww :tongue: Yeah I can understand that.. I love languages too, I'm taking German and Spanish and did take French so I had some idea what I was talking about :rolleyes:
Cool story bro
Original post by AvatarMew
Love can't be created....

Sex is due to lust not love so why do people call sex with people you love a"Making love"?

Do you want to ban all metaphors too?
It's just a phrase OP.

Should we ban the phrase "killing two birds with one stone" unless it is used specifically for that physical action?

Stfu.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending