The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Monster Mnch
What does everyone expect to come up on Monday? Of course, I'm not going to take your suggestions and just revise those - I just like to know what people are thinking.

Ultracentrifugation.
Hearty stuff :smile:
Phospholipid bilayer.
Non-competitive inhibition.
Reply 201
Quick question, if a question asked for the definition of a Lipid and carbohydrate what would you write down?

Also there could be a question about the properties of lipids.
I do have a strong feeling cell fractionation will come up. It's quite a difficult one to remember all of the processes.
Reply 203
Original post by Jakez123
Random Tips for this papers 2/3 Mark questions and how to answer them.

If it asks you a question on how an (competitive) inhibitor slows down an enzyme catalyzed reaction always mention:

That the inhibitor has a similar shape to the substrate which is complimentary to the enzyme

It occupies the enzymes active site

preventing enzyme substrate complexesfrom being formed

Questions stating why an enzyme is specific normally follows this route:

Enzyme has a specific tertiary structure

Thus a specific active site

Which is complimentary to the substrate

forming enzyme substrate complexes

Question regarding Antibodies and why they are specific follow this route:

it has Specific primary structure thus specific secondary and specific tertiary structure

Therefore it has a specific variable region which is complimentary to the antigen

forming Antigen-antibody complexes

Questions about what an antigen is always follows this route:

It is a protein

which triggers immune response

questions regarding emphysema always want you to mention these sort of things when it talks about reducing gas exchange efficiency:

Elastin is broken down in alveoli thus they cannot recoil

As they cannot recoil low concentrations of oxygen cannot be exhaled

thus a lower diffusion gradient

Larger surface area

therefore a longer diffusion pathway

I'm not saying these are correct but they tend to follow this pattern, there are more that i know of but these are the most common, if there are any errors tell me and sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes.

Erm what?
If elastin is broken and they cannot recoil, then air can't be expelled well, so low conc of oxygen affect rate of diffusion by reducing it = correct like you said.
But, they don't have a larger surface area, their surface area actually gets reduced because the alveoli walls are destroyed THIS reduction in surface area also reduces the rate of diffusion.
I have a feeling Fluid mosaic model would come up!
But what are they going to ask?
What are peripheral proteins?
integral proteins?
What is able to pass the bilayer?
What are glycoproteins are what are they used for?
Where are glycoproteins situated?

Anymore anyone could think of?
What is a fluid mosaic model? =p
What is the function of the Golgi, like a mark scheme definition? In the textbook it has five bullet points or something but I dont want to end up putting something thats not on the mark scheme- for instance in jan 2012 exam I talked about electrolytes and potassium for the ORS question and it wasn't even on the mark scheme. This is why I hate the textbook.
Original post by britash
Aw thank-you. So do I!!! :tongue:

I'll do the one I like the best first so number 3.
Roles of SAN, AVN and bundles of His.

SAN (Sino-Atrial Node)
This is called also the pacemaker. It inititates the electrical impulses across the atria causing them to contract
AVN (atrioventricular node)
This receives the electrical impulse from the SAN and delays it from carrying on (the importance of this delay is to allow the venticles to fill up with blood before they contract).
After the short delay, the AVN sends the electrical impulse between the venticles down the septum, down the bundles of His to the purkyne fibres.
The electrical impulse reaches the base of the ventricles where both venticles contract upwards pushing blood out of the venticles.

I think of it in a few stages
1. SAN, pacemaker. Initiates heartbeat and electrical impulses. Contraction of atria.
2. AVN receives impulse and DELAYS (this is important!!!) to allow the ventricles to fill with blood before they contract
3. AVN sends impulse down septum to bundles of His
4. Impulse reaches bottom of venticles where it causes both walls of the venticles to contract upwards.
(this is literally all there is to it) All they could ask questions on is the importance of the delay. What the SAN is, where is it situated etc. xx

thank you so much!! :biggrin:
let's say the 5 marker did come up on cell fractionation or Ultracentrifugation... what do we actually write to gain 5 marks - by the "mark scheme" way ??
Reply 208
Can someone run over the main facts in non-competitive inhibition in ezymes, and monoclonal antibodies? Thanks! Good luck with rev today, can't believe it's tomorrow!!
Original post by shybrowngirl
let's say the 5 marker did come up on cell fractionation or Ultracentrifugation... what do we actually write to gain 5 marks - by the "mark scheme" way ??

I think the best way to set out this question is by using bullet points, this is how I would answer a question like this:-

- Homogenize the cells in an Ice Cold, Isotonic Buffer solution

- The ice-cold solution reduces the activity of the enzymes significantly preventing them from destroying the organelles.

- The solution is isotonic to prevent osmosis and to prevent organelles becoming damaged.

- The buffer solution is used at a known pH to keep the pH constant.

- The homogenized solution is then spun in a centrifuge at low speed
- The sediment contains nuclei

- It is then spun at medium speed
- The sediment contains mitochondria & chloroplasts

- It is then spun at high speed
- The sediment contains endoplasmic reticulum, golgi apparatus & membrane fragments

- It is then spun at very high speed
- The sediment contains ribosomes

You are then left with the cytoplasm.

Hope this helps :smile: and good luck for tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by Jack_Smith
I have a feeling Fluid mosaic model would come up!
But what are they going to ask?
What are peripheral proteins?
integral proteins?
What is able to pass the bilayer?
What are glycoproteins are what are they used for?
Where are glycoproteins situated?

Anymore anyone could think of?
What is a fluid mosaic model? =p

Why are glycoproteins? I mean I've learnt about their existence but not to any detail?
Original post by Chloe0493
I think the best way to set out this question is by using bullet points, this is how I would answer a question like this:-

- Homogenize the cells in an Ice Cold, Isotonic Buffer solution

- The ice-cold solution reduces the activity of the enzymes significantly preventing them from destroying the organelles.

- The solution is isotonic to prevent osmosis and to prevent organelles becoming damaged.

- The buffer solution is used at a known pH to keep the pH constant.

- The homogenized solution is then spun in a centrifuge at low speed
- The sediment contains nuclei

- It is then spun at medium speed
- The sediment contains mitochondria & chloroplasts

- It is then spun at high speed
- The sediment contains endoplasmic reticulum, golgi apparatus & membrane fragments

- It is then spun at very high speed
- The sediment contains ribosomes

You are then left with the cytoplasm.

Hope this helps :smile: and good luck for tomorrow :biggrin:

In the the textbook it says nuclei - mitochondria - lysosomes - ribosomes and in te revision guide is says nuclei - mitochondria - lysosomes - ER - ribosomes.

So you missed out lysosomes.
Original post by Saraah_x
Can someone run over the main facts in non-competitive inhibition in ezymes, and monoclonal antibodies? Thanks! Good luck with rev today, can't believe it's tomorrow!!

Non-competetive inhibition occurs when a molecule forms strong covalent bonds with a part of the enzyme that is NOT the active site. This causes the tertiary structure of the active site to change. Thus, the active site is no longer complementary to the structure of the substrate. Enzyme-substrate complexes can't form.

As for monoclonal antibodies, I think you just need to know that they are "antibodies produced from a single clone of plasma cells" My textbook lists uses which include: immunoassay (?), cancer treatment, transplant surgery and separation of a chemical from a mixture.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thescientist17
Why are glycoproteins? I mean I've learnt about their existence but not to any detail?

I think they're just proteins with an added carbohydrate group. They're found on cell surface membranes and act as receptors.
Is it true that water soluble molecules cannot diffuse through the phospholipid bilayer easily but water can, by osmosis? So larger molecules and water soluble molecules have to use channel/ carrier proteins?
What do SER do i know RER allow large surface are for protein synthesis because of the ribosomes on their surface but what do SER do then? :confused:
Do you think we need to know about B Cells and T Cells in a lot of detail, like those diagrams in the textbook? They confuse me :/
Original post by AAA_
What do SER do i know RER allow large surface are for protein synthesis because of the ribosomes on their surface but what do SER do then? :confused:

Synthesise, store and transport lipids and carbohydrates.
What do you mean by, they act as receptors?
Reply 219
Original post by LegendX
Erm what?
If elastin is broken and they cannot recoil, then air can't be expelled well, so low conc of oxygen affect rate of diffusion by reducing it = correct like you said.
But, they don't have a larger surface area, their surface area actually gets reduced because the alveoli walls are destroyed THIS reduction in surface area also reduces the rate of diffusion.

Thanks man, i'll go correct it now

Latest

Trending

Trending