Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What music do your friends sneer at?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    But none of the bands you mentioned are modern metal :confused: metalcore maybe, at a push, but metal? nope.
    Metal is a genre. Metalcore is a sub-genre of metal! Just like thrash metal/industrial metal/black metal/alternative metal. Metalcore etc is metal.

'Modern' means now/recently. All the bands I mentioned have been formed recently and/or have released material recently. Black Sabbath have not released anything recently.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    Ahh, I'm yet to see him live, but I'd really love to.
    He doesn't tour enough as far as I'm concerned. A lot of his shows are festivals, and in-store performances so you never know he's playing until last minute.

But he was wonderful when I saw him at the transgressive 5th anniversary about three years ago. It was in a church and the crowd were actually sitting in the pews and it was all very atmospheric and emotive and just lovely! Jeremy Warmsley and GRAHAM COXON (!!!!) also played, so it truly was a night to remember.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adsm_inamorta)
    Anything hard rock/metal is sneered at when I listen to it. Asking Alexandria/A Day To Remember/Nickelback/Attack Attack!/BVB etc are key bands in my favourite music. I get told 'it's all screaming how can you understand it' or 'all the songs sound the same it sounds crap' etc etc.

:headbang: So i reply with a polite '**** you' and continue rockin' out! :headbang:
    I'm glad I am not the only one - My friends hate Nickelback, hinder etc (I am seeing Nickelback in October ) and try to get me to listen to Taylor Swift and Pixie Lott etc... :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissLish)
    I'm glad I am not the only one - My friends hate Nickelback, hinder etc (I am seeing Nickelback in October ) and try to get me to listen to Taylor Swift and Pixie Lott etc... :mad:
    Same! So many Nickelback haters around Hinder! How can anyone hate them? I was going to see Nickelback in Sheffield in October but can't make it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Haha good thread. I wouldn't even bother putting on any Gospel/Jazz/Fusion in the same room as my guitarist or he'll just say how Biffy Clyro is the best group on earth.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Haha

I hope Boyfriend gets to #1 today. It'll probably be Conor Maynard though.
    me too! I really wanted Bieber to get his first UK number one this week conor maynard's song is only officially out today.

(Original post by Bellissima)
    omg i forgot about that it's today, i hope so... i'll have to listen... either boyfriend or call me maybe at the top i hope!!!!!!!... but conor maynard is quite good too.. but a bit annoying.
    It's a shame call me maybe is number one again. It was number one last week.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chavalis)
    He doesn't tour enough as far as I'm concerned. A lot of his shows are festivals, and in-store performances so you never know he's playing until last minute.

But he was wonderful when I saw him at the transgressive 5th anniversary about three years ago. It was in a church and the crowd were actually sitting in the pews and it was all very atmospheric and emotive and just lovely! Jeremy Warmsley and GRAHAM COXON (!!!!) also played, so it truly was a night to remember.
    Ah, I'm so jealous! He's playing a record store this Saturday in London, which would be great if I wasn't already occupied.

He's releasing a new album shortly though, which should warrant a tour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    I'm really into folk/folk-indie, which my friends mistake for farmer music.
    tell me about it. I saw the line-up for Latitude and I'm desperate to go however everyone I've asked just looks at me funny and says 'Reading's better', NO IT IS NOT! I've ran out of people to ask.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doskey)
    tell me about it. I saw the line-up for Latitude and I'm desperate to go however everyone I've asked just looks at me funny and says 'Reading's better', NO IT IS NOT! I've ran out of people to ask.
    Exactly the same dilemma. I've got a ticket to Reading, but the lineup is pretty poor.

Latitude looks much better. Ben Howard and Laura Marling :excited:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to see Laura Marling too, but mainly Bon Iver and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same! So many Nickelback haters around Hinder! How can anyone hate them? I was going to see Nickelback in Sheffield in October but can't make it
    Thats the concert I am going to aha - They are really good live! And I don't know... My friends love to hate any band that have a decent singer - They love to hate Three days grace, Breaking Benjamin, Hinder, Nickelback etc They don't know what they are missing out on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was "sneered" at for liking post-metal just yesterday
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissLish)
    Thats the concert I am going to aha - They are really good live! And I don't know... My friends love to hate any band that have a decent singer - They love to hate Three days grace, Breaking Benjamin, Hinder, Nickelback etc They don't know what they are missing out on
    Three Days Grace = Awesome lyrics
    Breaking Benjamin = Amazing vocals
    Hinder = Amazing lyrics and vocals
    Nickelback = overall pretty awesome

+ 3 Doors Down/Daughtry/My Darkest Days/Theory of a Deadman! :happy2:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Three Days Grace = Awesome lyrics
    Breaking Benjamin = Amazing vocals
    Hinder = Amazing lyrics and vocals
    Nickelback = overall pretty awesome

+ 3 Doors Down/Daughtry/My Darkest Days/Theory of a Deadman! :happy2:
    Seconded haha :P I forgot Daughtry and 3 Doors down! Finally someone who likes similar bands!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Black metal. I live with people who predominantly listen to metal, but they mostly like melodic death and they don't 'get' black metal. To them it just sounds like static and they don't understand the concept behind deliberate poor recording quality (despite me trying to explain many times).

Similar thing applies to what little drone and ambient music I listen to - they don't 'get' it.
    What is the concept behind it?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Almost everything I listen to. I need new friends. People at uni are a lot more tolerant of differing tastes though.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cigarette)
    Yeah, I agree, I've tried to listen to Black Metal such as Mayhem, but I don't really get it either. I do find the "message" and the "scene" interesting, but less so the music. What am I missing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of my Lancaster friends don't get my love of African sounds and find it unlistenable... >.<

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i remember when i was in first year at secondary school i loved listening to guns n roses ( well i had liked them for a few years before that ) i like everything though i have a eclectic taste in music.... anyways some of my friends were like omg why do you like them they are rubbish, crap, **** etc etc

it annoyed me but i passed it off. i used was to having a more developed taste in music compared to other kids i knew back then. still applies now. in my 2nd year all those friends that said guns n roses were crap changed their tune and were like omg i love sweet child o mine and alot of their other songs. and when i challenged then about it totally denied it. then one girl i knew was like oh i didnt know you liked music just because i didnt chat about it like her all the time or write them on my schoolbag with marker...

at uni i was in the kitchen just on itunes ( making a mix cd ) one of the girls that lived there at the time said you have a really weird taste in music in a sneering uppity tone. she looked down on everyone though so it was no surprise she didnt like the idea of someone with a unique taste in music. few weeks later i was in my room at uni listening to knockin on heavens door ( bon jovi cover ) i love the original and alot of other covers though of it and she totally offended me when she said it was **** and depressing and wanted to put on some dance music instead.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cigarette)
    It differs depending on the band's own views, but I think it's best to consider it as an entity of sound and emotion/meaning. Rather than breaking it down into drums, guitar, bass, vocals etc playing a song. Taking it as one atmospheric sound scape appears to be the best approach for me.

The poor recording quality originates from when the pioneering bands of the genre didn't have access to 'proper' equipment. But by coincidence the indistinct nature of the sounds and the way that the sound blends together seems to help the dark and mysterious atmosphere.

A good example of this is one of the most famous bands in the genre, Burzum:

Admittedly that particular video is a poor quality version of the song. However the indistinct nature of the sound is shown well. The concept behind Burzum was to transport the listener into an almost trance like state with the simple repetitive riffs. That was Varg's aim anyway. To a lot of people it just sounds like a load of boring fuzz, because when you try to analyse it as music, that's pretty much what it is. But take it as a tool to generate atmosphere and emotion, which uses musical instruments, and it seems to make more sense.

A fair amount of this is my interpretation of what black metal is about as a whole, without delving into lyrical content. The fact that I can come to this conclusion and other people might come to something completely different is, in my eyes, a good thing. I suppose it demonstrates how the music is thought provoking.

I would say the key thing to remember is atmosphere though. If you connect to what you're hearing and feel the atmosphere then it seems to fit into place. Hopefully you don't think that all sounds like a load of pretentious b******s!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.