The Student Room Group

3-month language learning to fluency level - agree or disagree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fluency is not just knowledge about the grammar of a language plus knowing X% of the vocabulary of a language. Fluency is simply a deep understanding of the reasons why certain words are used in some contexts and not in others. Fluency requires a level of understanding of a culture that you just cannot get in a classroom. You need to immerse yourself in the culture to understand how it shapes the language (eventually all languages are culture-based and it might be said that language is just another manifestation of culture) and that is why you need to pack up and go to a country where the language is spoken.
Reply 21
One important factor is what languages you already know. Some languages are similar, others less so. If the only language you know is Norwegian then learning Danish will generally be easier and quicker than learning Japanese.
Reply 22
I have nothing to add that isn't already said here regarding this debate (although perhaps this link may be of some interest - Benny is someone people either love or hate, but I think his points make sense if your goal is specifically to be conversational).

What do you all think of the term 'proficient'? To me it's such a dodging-the-bullet term. If you're 'proficient' in Spanish for example, does it mean you speak it at an intermediate level or an advanced level, or something in between?
I think the main issue here revolves around one's understanding of the term 'fluent'. Many people seem to think that 'fluent' is a synonym of 'perfect'. To my mind, it is not.

Someone on the last page posted something to do with being competent in a foreign language but struggling if someone mentioned a certain term relating to science or a specific sporting activity, and saying that this would indicate a lack of fluency. This is completely untrue. How many of you have ever come across a word in English or your native tongue that you didn't understand, even as an adult? All of you, I imagine. I consider myself erudite and articulate, but I know nothing about science or sport, so I lack lots of English vocabulary in these fields. So by this definition, I don't speak ANY language fluently! What an absurd notion. Of course my English is fluent.

I've studied Spanish for four years and lived in Mexico for a year. There is no doubt in my mind that my Spanish is fluent. It's a little rustier now than when I lived in a Spanish-speaking environment, but it's fluent. I can communicate in accurate and eloquent Spanish in a variety of situations about most topics without much strain. There are, of course, plenty of things that I don't know how to say in Spanish - if I had to talk about Olympic events I wouldn't know how to say "shot put" for example. However, I would have no problem communicating the idea...I'd just say "Esa disciplina de los juegos olimpicos donde tiran una pelotilla hecha de metal..." (That sport where people throw a little metal ball).

I think fluency is really when you find conversing and using the language in most situations second nature. When you don't have to translate mentally from your mother tongue. When you can manipulate the language, and don't have to rely on set expressions.

I would even argue that grammatical accuracy and accent aren't that important when it comes to fluency. For example, if an articulate foreigner spoke English with ease and said something like "We basked in the glorious sunlight which last two hours" - would the grammatical error render them "unfluent"? I'd argue not. Many English people's knowledge of English grammar is fairly shocking at best, let's face it.

To my mind, fluency is fairly simple. Can you communicate your message effectively in a foreign language at a normal pace and without struggling too much? If so, you're fluent to my mind. Not necessarily elegant. Not necessarily perfect. Not necessarily articulate. But fluent? Yes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Depends. Of you have to learn it, then you'll learn it quickly. I know there is a place in France where nuns teach you classes and then after saying at the plae for a month you're fluent in the language, apparently...

Although near where I live there was a little girl who moved from China speaking no English, and after 4 months at my cousins' primary school she was fluent 100%.
Reply 25
Disagree, not a chance in hell unless you are a young child.

People always say to me 'oh you lived in China for 2 years, you must be completely fluent now', and seem really disappointed when I say no...
Well if being "fluent" in 3 months is possible I feel like an idiot. Especially seeing as I'm meant to be good at languages... :s-smilie:

I was fluent after 2 years of living in Spain. No formal classes (I had lessons in beginners' Catalan and didn't take Spanish lessons) in the first year, just being immersed and having to pick it up. I say fluent, I mean being able to keep up with a conversation and not having to ask everyone to repeat everything 8 times and slow down. After 2 years people often couldn't tell I was foreign until I started monologuing and my accent showed through (which still happens :rolleyes: lol).

At the end of the first year, I started normal Catalan and Spanish lessons, and I was very proud of myself when I was moved up into the higher level group for Catalan and managed to keep up in the Spanish lessons taking the same exams and doing the same homework. But even at that point, conversation and being able to react and know how to say what I wanted to say was difficult. After that year or so I moved past that stage where you understand what people are saying but can't figure out how to say it yourself.

Still though. 3 months? Hm. I don't think so. My beginners' Catalan was pretty intense, and after 3 months I was only just starting to get my head out of the water.
Reply 27
Original post by akemikat
In my opinion and experience of learning a language, these things that claim you can learn a language to fluency level in 3 months seem totally ridiculous.

What is everyone's thoughts? Do you know of any articles available with 'what the expert linguists' say on this stuff?

My friend claimed that her sister learnt Turkish in 3 months to total fluency level whilst working a full-time job (In this country). This would be near impossible even if she went and lived in Turkey and devoted her entire time to learning the language the nearest I would say she could possibly reach is about A-Level standard in the language.

Thoughts???

hi
where u friend (and her sister) from??
Original post by jonnythemoose
I think the main issue here revolves around one's understanding of the term 'fluent'. Many people seem to think that 'fluent' is a synonym of 'perfect'. To my mind, it is not.

Someone on the last page posted something to do with being competent in a foreign language but struggling if someone mentioned a certain term relating to science or a specific sporting activity, and saying that this would indicate a lack of fluency. This is completely untrue. How many of you have ever come across a word in English or your native tongue that you didn't understand, even as an adult? All of you, I imagine. I consider myself erudite and articulate, but I know nothing about science or sport, so I lack lots of English vocabulary in these fields. So by this definition, I don't speak ANY language fluently! What an absurd notion. Of course my English is fluent.

I've studied Spanish for four years and lived in Mexico for a year. There is no doubt in my mind that my Spanish is fluent. It's a little rustier now than when I lived in a Spanish-speaking environment, but it's fluent. I can communicate in accurate and eloquent Spanish in a variety of situations about most topics without much strain. There are, of course, plenty of things that I don't know how to say in Spanish - if I had to talk about Olympic events I wouldn't know how to say "shot put" for example. However, I would have no problem communicating the idea...I'd just say "Esa disciplina de los juegos olimpicos donde tiran una pelotilla hecha de metal..." (That sport where people throw a big metal ball).

I think fluency is really when you find conversing and using the language in most situations second nature. When you don't have to translate mentally from your mother tongue. When you can manipulate the language, and don't have to rely on set expressions.

I would even argue that grammatical accuracy and accent aren't that important when it comes to fluency. For example, if an articulate foreigner spoke English with ease and said something like "We basked in the glorious sunlight which last two hours" - would the grammatical error render them "unfluent"? I'd argue not. Many English people's knowledge of English grammar is fairly shocking at best, let's face it.

To my mind, fluency is fairly simple. Can you communicate your message effectively in a foreign language at a normal pace and without struggling too much? If so, you're fluent to my mind. Not necessarily elegant. Not necessarily perfect. Not necessarily articulate. But fluent? Yes.

I agree with everything you've said, but this especially :smile:
Reply 29

I've studied Spanish for four years and lived in Mexico for a year. There is no doubt in my mind that my Spanish is fluent. It's a little rustier now than when I lived in a Spanish-speaking environment, but it's fluent. I can communicate in accurate and eloquent Spanish in a variety of situations about most topics without much strain. There are, of course, plenty of things that I don't know how to say in Spanish - if I had to talk about Olympic events I wouldn't know how to say "shot put" for example. However, I would have no problem communicating the idea...I'd just say "Esa disciplina de los juegos olimpicos donde tiran una pelotilla hecha de metal..." (That sport where people throw a little metal ball).

I repped :u: I don't think I've come across a post on this forum that I agree with more. It is shocking the number of times I find myself stuck in my native language as well as English but I'd consider myself fluent in both. As do you, I believe. My Spanish is fast becoming fluent as well by your definition - most of the time now I don't even realise I'm reading/speaking/writing/listening to Spanish. Once opened a Galdós novel and didn't notice I was reading in a supposedly "foreign" language until the thirtieth or so page, even though I obviously didn't know what some words meant. I was so proud of myself that day, because it felt like I had made so much progress in my language learning :colondollar:

Actually, I do have a personal little goal of mine - until I see it happen I will not consider myself "fluent" in any foreign language. You see, I have the kind of face that is pretty nondescript - it's the sort of face that no one would take a second glance at on the street. So, I'd like to go to my target country and improve so much so that people don't outwardly realise they're speaking with a foreigner. I'm not talking about mastering the language to the point of native fluency, but if I meet someone and they don't compliment me on how good my language is because it is just so obvious, I'd consider that a success! Though, if they start believing my little fibs (eg. me saying I'm Taiwanese/Latin Asian/Kazakh/Japanese etc.) that would be my ultimate dream come true. That dream is still a long way away though :moon:
(edited 11 years ago)

+rep, great post Jonny. :smile:

Someone also mentioned Benny Lewis "The Irish Polygot" but I can not stand him at all. I find him very annoying as a person, he strictly controls every comment on his website/blog and always dodges claims about his language abilities by saying "I never actually said I was going to achieve fluency in 3 months". Well then, why did he call the website "fluent in 3 months"? Also, his German pronunciation is terrible. I think the only reason he has such a short timeframe for each language is that it keeps people interested and drives up internet revenue through traffic numbers. I also absolutely loathe it when people refer to tips as 'hacks'. It sounds so horribly childish. People are much more likely to remain interested over 3 months, than 6 months. I think if he had 6 months in a language with his methods, he may be able to say that he is vaguely fluent but I still wouldn't care because of how annoying I find him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by asparkyn

Actually, I do have a personal little goal of mine - until I see it happen I will not consider myself "fluent" in any foreign language. You see, I have the kind of face that is pretty nondescript - it's the sort of face that no one would take a second glance at on the street. So, I'd like to go to my target country and improve so much so that people don't outwardly realise they're speaking with a foreigner. I'm not talking about mastering the language to the point of native fluency, but if I meet someone and they don't compliment me on how good my language is because it is just so obvious, I'd consider that a success! Though, if they start believing my little fibs (eg. me saying I'm Taiwanese/Latin Asian/Kazakh/Japanese etc.) that would be my ultimate dream come true. That dream is still a long way away though :moon:

Hehe it's interesting that, because I think some people place more emphasis on that element than other. I am definitely more like you - I adore being able to put on a convincing accent, and trying to pass myself off as a native speaker. My proudest moment was when I was mistaken for a Mexican at the end of my year abroad. This is bearing in mind I am probably the palest person known to man, with light brown hair and blue eyes.

Conversely, a friend of mine at uni used to make loads of pronunciation/accent 'mistakes' that signalled him out quite clearly as Anglophone, and would say that he liked people knowing he was English because he was proud of his country!

Although again, fluency definitely doesn't depend on being able to pass yourself off as a native. I think being able to 'do the accent' just depends on personal strengths. Some people are really good at it, and others are terrible! Some people think it's important, some don't! :tongue:
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
+rep, great post Jonny. :smile:

Someone also mentioned Benny Lewis "The Irish Polygot" but I can not stand him at all. I find him very annoying as a person, he strictly controls every comment on his website/blog and always dodges claims about his language abilities by saying "I never actually said I was going to achieve fluency in 3 months". Well then, why did he call the website "fluent in 3 months"? Also, his German pronunciation is terrible. I think the only reason he has such a short timeframe for each language is that it keeps people interested and drives up internet revenue through traffic numbers. I also absolutely loathe it when people refer to tips as 'hacks'. It sounds so horribly childish. People are much more likely to remain interested over 3 months, than 6 months. I think if he had 6 months in a language with his methods, he may be able to say that he is vaguely fluent but I still wouldn't care because of how annoying I find him.

I'm glad I'm not the only person - there's something really quite obnoxious and preachy about the man. I've never quite been able to put my finger on why I dislike him though. He seems to have declared himself some sort of language guru, and loves the attention he gets for it.
Reply 33
21stcenturyphantom
I think the only reason he has such a short timeframe for each language is that it keeps people interested and drives up internet revenue through traffic numbers.
People with an addiction to self-promotion, who make big claims and sell expensive products, have existed long before we were born and will exist long after we're both dead. In this particular case, you'd think his inability to get anywhere close to fluency after 3 months of learning Chinese would discredit him, but I've no doubt he'll come up with some justification for continuing to attract readers and money (and be successful in doing so).
Original post by Kolya
People with an addiction to self-promotion, who make big claims and sell expensive products, have existed long before we were born and will exist long after we're both dead. In this particular case, you'd think his inability to get anywhere close to fluency after 3 months of learning Chinese would discredit him, but I've no doubt he'll come up with some justification for continuing to attract readers and money (and be successful in doing so).

..and that is exactly what he does! Still, he is just a blemish on the great canvas of other talented polyglots on youtube/websites who have much more determination and drive, and less snakey showmanship. Luca, Richard Simcott, Professor Alexander Arguelles..many on the How to Learn Any Language forum.
Reply 35

No doubt? :rolleyes: The only ones who can tell whether or not you are fluent in Spanish are Spanish natives. Fluency is not knowledge about vocabulary, grammar, etc. But it is about the accurate utterance of the phonemes of that language and understanding of the culture underlying that language. And no, just because a language is your first language is doesn't automatically mean that you are fluent in that language. Fluency can be lost, gained and re-gained. But the important thing is that fluency is always acquired. I cringe when nowadays people use fluency as synonymous of standard/conversational/advanced level of a language. Fluency takes years and is not just about the culture but about the causal relationship between culture and language. :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by cgraham15
Depends. Of you have to learn it, then you'll learn it quickly. I know there is a place in France where nuns teach you classes and then after saying at the plae for a month you're fluent in the language, apparently...

Although near where I live there was a little girl who moved from China speaking no English, and after 4 months at my cousins' primary school she was fluent 100%.

There is no such thing as fluent 50%. :rolleyes:
nah way

unless aliens kidnap you and stick a probe in your butt that implants fluency
Reply 38

I disagree. I do study Japanese and there is no efficient way you can translate mentally from English to Japanese or viceversa. People who normally do this when learning languages are those who are learning a language for first time and eventually they all realise how pointless and misleading it is.
I heard it's over six months, minimum, and that's if you live in the country of e language you're learning and you do a full time language course so whoever said three months probably doesn't mean fluent as you and I do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending