The Student Room Group

Comparisons of Artificial and Natural selections

Wondered if anyone can explain to me why
1)speed is fast in artificial
2)genetic diversity is low in artificial
3)inbreeding is common in artificial as opposed to outbreeding

+rep

Scroll to see replies

1) Natural selection is dependent on the environment. You need to wait for a change in environment that is big enough to have an effect on the allele frequency. In artificial, you are in control.
2) + 3) I would link 2 to 3. In artificial selection the F1 generation is used to produce the F2 generation. The F2 generation is a result of inbreeding two offspring that occurred from the F1 generation. Inbreeding is effective because you know the genotype of the organism as there are only a small mixture of alleles. Outbreeding results in adding additional combination of alleles that are not know as well as if just inbreeding occurred. Therefore genetic diversity is low as there are only a few combinations of alleles that can occur, some alleles are eliminated altogether.

I hope that made sense :s-smilie:

(it made sense in my head)
Original post by The Illuminati
1) Natural selection is dependent on the environment. You need to wait for a change in environment that is big enough to have an effect on the allele frequency. In artificial, you are in control.
2) + 3) I would link 2 to 3. In artificial selection the F1 generation is used to produce the F2 generation. The F2 generation is a result of inbreeding two offspring that occurred from the F1 generation. Inbreeding is effective because you know the genotype of the organism as there are only a small mixture of alleles. Outbreeding results in adding additional combination of alleles that are not know as well as if just inbreeding occurred. Therefore genetic diversity is low as there are only a few combinations of alleles that can occur, some alleles are eliminated altogether.

I hope that made sense :s-smilie:

(it made sense in my head)

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.:tongue:

good one..got the first and second one ..just didn't quite get the 3rd

outbreeding is basically breeding with different species? as opposed to same species for inbreeding?

That's what my note says: (no absofu.. idea)
Natural selection:
"Outbreeding is common leading to hybrid vigour"
Artificial Selection:
"Inbreeding is common leading to loss of vigour in offspring"

:confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Also add to 1 that artificial is quicker as human control allows generations to develop quicker. you don't have to wait until the animal has decided to mate. Hormones can be used to produce more offspring than the animal would produce naturally...
Original post by arvin_infinity
Please rate some other members before rating this member again.:tongue:

good one..got the first and second one ..just didn't quite get the 3rd

outbreeding is basically breeding with different species? as opposed to same species for inbreeding?

That's what my note says: (no absofu.. idea)
Natural selection:
Artificial Selection:

:confused:

I think you misunderstood outbreeding and inbreeding. Inbreeding is pretty much incest as you breed organisms that are genetically related (i.e. have same parents)
Outbreeding is still within the same species but they aren’t related. Not being related means there is a variety of alleles.
If outbreeding meant different species, natural selection wouldn’t occur as there would not be enough generations for survival to occur as the offspring of the two species would be infertile, therefore outbreeding requires organisms of the same species with no relation.

different species might not be able to produce any offspring at all because their 'bits' might be completely incompatible
Diversity is reduced because humans tend to force the animals to interbreed the individuals with the desired gene. also, we may only allow the animals with the desired characteristic to breed. Also, an unwanted characteristic may have unforeseen benefits, for example people suffering from sickle cell anaemia are less likely to die from malaria, artificial selection may deliberately cut out this potentially beneficial gene from the gene pool.
Artificial selection is quicker because humans can artificially exert a lot of selection pressure by only allowing those with the desired characteristic to breed, and increasing the frequency of births by using hormone control and artificial insemination.
Interbreeding is common because the farmer may have access to limited stock, and so an even more limited selection of those with the desired characteristic, who are likely to be related as they share the mutation. This is the same in other situations - once the scientist has identified a family of the animal all with the same mutation, it is easier to just interbreed them rather than search for others with the same characteristic.
+rep

Artificial selection is quicker because humans can artificially exert a lot of selection pressure by only allowing those with the desired characteristic to breed, and increasing the frequency of births by using hormone control and artificial insemination.
good stuff

Original post by dragonkeeper999

Interbreeding is common because the farmer may have access to limited stock, and so an even more limited selection of those with the desired characteristic, who are likely to be related as they share the mutation. This is the same in other situations - once the scientist has identified a family of the animal all with the same mutation, it is easier to just interbreed them rather than search for others with the same characteristic.

interbreeding? haha we were talking about inbreeding!
didn't quite get what you mean!
+rep

good stuff

interbreeding? haha we were talking about inbreeding!
didn't quite get what you mean!

Inbreeding=related
Interbreeding= same genus, different species...i think they meant inbreeding
Inbreeding=related
Interbreeding= same genus, different species...i think they meant inbreeding

Wait a second I thought interbreeding= same species!! cause you know when you define species you say" they can interbreed and produce fertile offspring"!! u sure?:eek:
Wait a second I thought interbreeding= same species!! cause you know when you define species you say" they can interbreed and produce fertile offspring"!! u sure?:eek:

That's what I thought but when you look it up that's what interbreeding is. But then the definition of what a species is is kinda messed up anyway. It only really defines (pretty badly) organisms that can sexually reproduce.
I think you misunderstood outbreeding and inbreeding. Inbreeding is pretty much incest as you breed organisms that are genetically related (i.e. have same parents)
Outbreeding is still within the same species but they aren’t related. Not being related means there is a variety of alleles.
If outbreeding meant different species, natural selection wouldn’t occur as there would not be enough generations for survival to occur as the offspring of the two species would be infertile, therefore outbreeding requires organisms of the same species with no relation.

different species might not be able to produce any offspring at all because their 'bits' might be completely incompatible

so maybe if I understand why inbreeding is not common in natural selection that would help!

also what are these inbreeding and outbreeding got to do with hybrid vigour :confused:

today was my dumbest day sorry
Inbreeding is more common artificially as the breeding is controlled by humans and not by attraction or other factors. The goal is to produce offspring that are genetically identical in order for us to utilise them for their milk and meat yield (animals), or in plants the taste and texture of the fruit, or the type of flowers it produces. the best way to control this is to inbreed as it reduces genetic variety very quickly, in a few generations you can completely remove the disadvantageous allele as the allele frequency was very similar to begin with.
Inbreeding is less common in natural selection due to the animals having the freedom to mate with whoever they like. If the animal isn't attracted to the other, they most likely won't breed with each other.

Hybid vigour is reduced in inbreeding as can cause the elimination of heterozygotes (a homozygote may give the desired phenotype). Heterozygousy is important to selection pressure as it means that both versions of the allele are present so both are available to be passed onto the offspring. The greater the variety of alleles the greater the organism's chance of survival because the chances of passing down the advantageous allele.
Reply 12
Wondered if anyone can explain to me why
1)speed is fast in artificial
2)genetic diversity is low in artificial
3)inbreeding is common in artificial as opposed to outbreeding

+rep

1.) In natural selection, you get the positive mutations slowly dominating the gene pool -- they're more likely to pass on their genes to the next generation, but they're not the only ones. In artificial selection, you have complete control over this. Say you had two groups of animals. The black group of animals have a 90% chance of reproducing and passing their genes on to the next generation. The white group have just a 10% chance of passing on their genes to the next generation. If you had these two groups and you were selecting artificially, you'd simply be able to stop the white group from reproducing at all, which means that the black group would completely dominate the gene pool. Natural selection wouldn't work like that.

2.) Genetic diversity is massively reduced because we only want the animals or plants to mate with the animals with the desirable gene or trait. We have complete control over it, so if you wanted an animal to be really fast, you'd make sure it mated with the animal with the longer legs. In nature, you wouldn't be able to make sure of this and the animal may mate with the stronger animal with the larger bone structure, for example.

3.) Inbreeding? I'd have thought inbreeding would be incredibly unlikely in artificial selection. Read about "inbreeding depression" for why that's the case... But I can see why you'd do it. If it was for something that didn't require fitness/wellbeing then it'd make complete sense to match the gene which tells the animal to be fatter or whatever.
(edited 12 years ago)
Heterozygousy is important to selection pressure as it means that both versions of the allele are present so both are available to be passed onto the offspring. The greater the variety of alleles the greater the organism's chance of survival because the chances of passing down the advantageous allele.

so what if say aa or AA was going to give us the advantageous characteristic?
this is pure self-teaching by the way my teacher kindly skipped this bit of the chapter :colondollar:

the vigour is basically about being heterozygous right?
beginning to understand this :smile:
Original post by JordanR

3.) Inbreeding? I'd have thought inbreeding would be incredibly unlikely in artificial selection. Read about "inbreeding depression" for why that's the case... But I can see why you'd do it. If it was for something that didn't require fitness/wellbeing then it'd make complete sense to match the gene which tells the animal to be fatter or whatever.

thats in my A-level notes!! not my opinion
Natural selection:
Artificial Selection:

I actually did look it up! that made me slightly more confused in the way it explains inbreeding for natural selection!
Reply 15
thats in my A-level notes!! not my opinion
Natural selection:
Artificial Selection:

I actually did look it up! that made me slightly more confused in the way it explains inbreeding for natural selection!

Aye, it does make sense when you think about it like that. Artificial selection is breeding exclusively for the desirable traits and don't really care about other things. Why do you care about genetically weak legs if your cow can produce twice as much milk as the average cow? I was thinking about it from an overall fitness point of view, which isn't always desirable in artificial selection.
Original post by JordanR
Aye, it does make sense when you think about it like that. Artificial selection is breeding exclusively for the desirable traits and don't really care about other things. Why do you care about genetically weak legs if your cow can produce twice as much milk as the average cow? I was thinking about it from an overall fitness point of view, which isn't always desirable in artificial selection.

Your Avatar is Legenda...wait for it..aary
I do understand the above but didn't help to understand the
Natural selection:
Artificial Selection:

so 1) I didn't get why outbreeding is common in natural selection? and inbreeding in artificial ?
2)how does it lead to hybrid vigour
Your Avatar is Legenda...wait for it..aary
I do understand the above but didn't help to understand the
Natural selection:
Artificial Selection:

so 1) I didn't get why outbreeding is common in natural selection? and inbreeding in artificial ?
2)how does it lead to hybrid vigour

Hybrid vigour is all about heterozygousy, outbreeding promotes heterozygousy where as inbreeding leads to increased homozyousy.
Hybrid vigour is all about heterozygousy, outbreeding promotes heterozygousy where as inbreeding leads to increased homozyousy.

yh did understand that but didn't understand HOW outbreeding promotes heterozygousy
or HOW inbreeding leads to increased homozyousy.

we are getting there:smile:
yh did understand that but didn't understand HOW outbreeding promotes heterozygousy
or HOW inbreeding leads to increased homozyousy.

we are getting there:smile:

In inbreeding, since the organisms are usually closely related the gene pool is reduced even more. After each generation the genotype of the offspring gets more and more similar, eliminating some alleles altogether.
Because the organisms are more closely related, their genomes are very similar and they have similar allele combinations.
In outbreeding the organisms are not that closely related, so the allele frequency will be more varied so heterozygoussy occur more frequently than in inbreeding.
In artificial selection, in terms of the product the best genotype would be homozygote as you can breed the homozygotes together so that ALL the offspring will be homozygous for the trait you want.

crossing my fingers that is as clear typed out as it sounds in my head:crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending