The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BethaneyJ
Interviews can start in Dec though sometimes not until January. They are every other Wednesday (usually). It's not very far. An hour to an hour and a half on the train from Soton Central to Waterloo.

Academics have to meet the minimum (no compensation or margins allowed) but yeah, after that it's all fair game. No favouring those with higher or lower etc.

Thanks for all your help! I feel little as there is many applicants.:redface: I hope I can get an offer!
Original post by Lightingspeed
Thanks for all your help! I feel little as there is many applicants.:redface: I hope I can get an offer!

I got one :smile: The offers have to go to someone, why not you? Think positive :smile:
Original post by Giggy88
Hey guys, I am considering on applying to the BM6 course but I am not sure if this is the right course for me.

My gcse's are mediocre, as I have done them in 1 year, ( only been 2 years in the UK) and gained 2 A* 4A and 1C(ICT).

But my A levels are going pretty well and I am looking forward to be predicted 3 As.

I meet the screening criteria, but I am not sure whether I would be better of applying to the 5 year courses. The only thing holding me back are my GCSE's which my teacher agreed to mention as mitigating circumstances in the reference.

Appreciate any help and advice.

Did someone reply in the other thread? Just noticed this and hope you've not been left behind!
Just an update. The entry requirements are now BBC and not BCC. :frown: It's getting very popular so they requirements are going up.
Just an update. The entry requirements are now BBC and not BCC. :frown: It's getting very popular so they requirements are going up.

Is it non-subject specific
You must have Bio and Chem but it doesn't matter which grades you get for each subject as long as you have BBC overall.
Reply 46
New to this thread, im thinking of applying here next year if i dont meet my offer this year -_-(thanks to AQA). How many places are on this course, and how many offers do they give out?
Original post by umair.khan
New to this thread, im thinking of applying here next year if i dont meet my offer this year -_-(thanks to AQA). How many places are on this course, and how many offers do they give out?

There is now a BM6 2013 thread just so you know!

There are 30 places and 45 offers, around 900 applicants so it's around 30 applicants per place. Have you checked you meet the other financial criteria for BM6? They will be looking for reasons beyond the missing of grades but as long as you have them then that's great!

Feel free to ask any more questions that you might have!

Good luck,

Beth
Reply 48
There is now a BM6 2013 thread just so you know!

There are 30 places and 45 offers, around 900 applicants so it's around 30 applicants per place. Have you checked you meet the other financial criteria for BM6? They will be looking for reasons beyond the missing of grades but as long as you have them then that's great!

Feel free to ask any more questions that you might have!

Good luck,

Beth

Wow this course is really competitive!! And yeah i do meet the criteria, i was going to apply here this year but i didn't really have my heart set on moving so far from home. Just hope i get the grades for my offer for this year!!

Thanks for the quick reply btw :smile:
That's fair enough :smile: Southampton is really great and has great travel connections :smile: People come from all over the country for it.

Good luck! Happy to help any time!
How are the applications going?
Reply 51
Hey guys!

I did last year bm6 course and I will be starting bm5 in October. I would like to answer all your questions about this bm6 course. Therefore you are more than welcome to ask me any questions.
Reply 52
Original post by hun_m
Hey guys!

I did last year bm6 course and I will be starting bm5 in October. I would like to answer all your questions about this bm6 course. Therefore you are more than welcome to ask me any questions.

Hi, I've got the BM6 as my insurance, so if I don't get AAA I'll be coming to Southampton! Just out of curiosity, how many people didn't successfully complete the first year (i.e. how many people won't be moving into the BM5)?

Thanks!
How are the applications going?

Fine thanks, just practising my UKCAT on the 29th and doing work on my PS. :smile:
They don't frown on it at all, but a lot of people think that if they apply with AAA they'll definitely get a place. Having higher grades does not make you more likely to get a place but they certainly do not have a problem with it.

Also, if you have A*A*A* they might ask why you are applying to BM6 and not a 5 year course but you should be fine :smile:
Reply 55
Hey!

There were two people who didnt pass the year.
Original post by tallen90
Hi, I've got the BM6 as my insurance, so if I don't get AAA I'll be coming to Southampton! Just out of curiosity, how many people didn't successfully complete the first year (i.e. how many people won't be moving into the BM5)?

Thanks!
Reply 56
Original post by Phil90974
Hi

My GCSE's are 6 A*s 5 As but I have struggled with AS and will more than likely come out with BBBB

I fit the eligibility criteria but will having GCSE's good enough for BM5 hinder a BM6 application

Hey sorry for the late reply. Yesterday was results day how did you end up with your results??
For the Bm6 course you need to have BBC for A levels and an above grade C for English and Maths.
Hi

My GCSE's are 6 A*s 5 As but I have struggled with AS and will more than likely come out with BBBB

I fit the eligibility criteria but will having GCSE's good enough for BM5 hinder a BM6 application

No. Having A Levels good enough for BM6 will though. Only in that they will want to know why you're applying to BM6 and not BM5. But having the right GCSEs for BM5 won't hinder your BM6 application.

I have the GCSEs for BM5, but not the A Levels. I think that it is not unusual :smile:
Original post by tallen90

Thanks!

Original post by hun_m
Hey!

There were two people who didnt pass the year.

There were 2 that didn't pass the year before too. I think it is usually around 2 or 3 in a class that fail on average. I can't find the stats to back it up right now but I read it at some point!
Thanks, Bethaney!

Original post by Lightingspeed
Fine thanks, just practising my UKCAT on the 29th and doing work on my PS. :smile:

Also (and this is to anyone applying) we do a free and totally safe personal statement review service here at TSR where university students from your subject will look and and review/give tips etc on your ps! It's totally free and secure, just post it in the secret-only-people-who-are-already-at-uni-and-don't-need-a-personal-statement-so-won't-steal-it can see it thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending