The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by BethaneyJ
Haha yeah they do ask that. People give the "lower grades" answer a lot which isn't great. It's a big interview question though :smile: (so don't give away too many answers haha :rofl: )

Oops :biggrin:
Original post by tallen90
Oops :biggrin:
It's all good. Anyone who trawls back this far in January has earned a few interview pointers :P

Good luck at Manchester. Is it straight medicine you're doing instead?
Reply 82
It's all good. Anyone who trawls back this far in January has earned a few interview pointers :P

Good luck at Manchester. Is it straight medicine you're doing instead?

Sorry, only just saw your reply!

Thanks :smile: and yeah, it is! I'd have liked Southampton, but I was pleased to get Manchester just because it's closer to home (£10 to get there and back vs. £140 for Southampton - I live in Leeds!) so I'll save a lot of money on travel costs :smile:
Reply 83
Hi everyone :smile:

I will be starting the BM6 in a few weeks so if anyone has any questions regarding the interview, ukcat, my experiences with the process of applying for the bm6 etc then i'll try my best to answer :smile:
My GCSE profile was as follows 4A*'s 6A's 1B
A* in Bio, english lit, english lang, p.e
A's in Chem, product design, drama, I.T, R.S, Maths
B in Physics

Post 16 I chose to study the IB instead of A levels so at the time of applying I was predicted 36/45 I applied for both the BM5 and BM6 because I really liked Southampton. Eventually I was offered a place on the BM6 with my offer being 28 points. So if anyone is doing the IB that's what the typical offer would be (i'm assuming here)

But yh i've got a few more weeks till I start uni so i'm happy to answer any questions and also if anyone wants I could email them my personal statement just so you can have a rough idea as to the kind of things you should be including. This by all means doesn't mean that you should copy as a personal statement is something quite "personal" but get a general idea of how you should be approaching this. Also I def think that it doesn't matter how much work experience you've done because if you can be reflective about your experiences no matter how little you've done you can really make them seem like you've done a lot and def experiences away from "medicine" itself count for a lot! e.g a quick example I did drama at GCSE although you wouldn't think this has anything to do with being a doctor, it actually has a lot of relevance i.e teamwork, communication also it taught me how to build rapport with the audience which as a doctor is a skill i would def need to utilise with patients in order to gain their trust quickly particularly in situations where making a quick and decisive decision is necessary for implementing treatment to ensure the patients safety. I.e say a patient comes in with appendicitis (but you obv dont know this yet) so you have to gain their trust and make them feel safe so they can allow you to make the correct diagnosis in the quickest possible time...hope that wasn't too confusing and helped a little.

So yh fire away with all your questions folks :smile:
Reply 84
A2 biology is a must for this course now isn't?
Original post by tsr1
A2 biology is a must for this course now isn't?

Yes, and chemistry.
Reply 86
Original post by ssirtaza
Hi everyone :smile:

I will be starting the BM6 in a few weeks so if anyone has any questions regarding the interview, ukcat, my experiences with the process of applying for the bm6 etc then i'll try my best to answer :smile:
My GCSE profile was as follows 4A*'s 6A's 1B
A* in Bio, english lit, english lang, p.e
A's in Chem, product design, drama, I.T, R.S, Maths
B in Physics

Post 16 I chose to study the IB instead of A levels so at the time of applying I was predicted 36/45 I applied for both the BM5 and BM6 because I really liked Southampton. Eventually I was offered a place on the BM6 with my offer being 28 points. So if anyone is doing the IB that's what the typical offer would be (i'm assuming here)

But yh i've got a few more weeks till I start uni so i'm happy to answer any questions and also if anyone wants I could email them my personal statement just so you can have a rough idea as to the kind of things you should be including. This by all means doesn't mean that you should copy as a personal statement is something quite "personal" but get a general idea of how you should be approaching this. Also I def think that it doesn't matter how much work experience you've done because if you can be reflective about your experiences no matter how little you've done you can really make them seem like you've done a lot and def experiences away from "medicine" itself count for a lot! e.g a quick example I did drama at GCSE although you wouldn't think this has anything to do with being a doctor, it actually has a lot of relevance i.e teamwork, communication also it taught me how to build rapport with the audience which as a doctor is a skill i would def need to utilise with patients in order to gain their trust quickly particularly in situations where making a quick and decisive decision is necessary for implementing treatment to ensure the patients safety. I.e say a patient comes in with appendicitis (but you obv dont know this yet) so you have to gain their trust and make them feel safe so they can allow you to make the correct diagnosis in the quickest possible time...hope that wasn't too confusing and helped a little.

So yh fire away with all your questions folks :smile:

hi, thanks for the detailed message. is it possible if you can email me your personal statement, my email address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by sortedguy
hi, thanks for the detailed message. is it possible if you can email me your personal statement, my email address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance! :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Medicine_Personal_Statements

Here are some examples of personal statements for medicine if that helps. :smile:
Reply 88
heyy i need major advice.

right, i finished my A-Levels this year with grades BCC
i achieved those grades, by resitting some modules (during the 2 years); however i read somewhere that Southampton for the BM6 dont accept the resitting of modules and they need to be done in one sitting or that resit modules will be looked at as well. so i presume people who have resat modules during the 2 years will be at some sort of disadvantage?

anyway, my other dilemma is regards to the entry requirements. Theres a video of the open day for medicine for 2013, and it shows a presentation, where it states that the entry requirements for the BM6 course is BCC
however, when i checked the website, it said that it was BBC =(

and lets say that it was BBC. Im planning on resitting some modules again this jan, will they accept resit applicants for the BM6 course? or is that it, will i not be able to apply?
Reply 89
"All qualifications must be taken at one sitting for all programmes. Applicants who have retaken one A-level and/or one GCSE (or equivalent) will be considered as if they had achieved the appropriate grade at the first sitting. We expect applicants to have achieved their A levels within a 2 year period (all modular retakes within this two year period will be considered).

We would allow two re-sits on the IB. Applications retaking more than one A level, GCSE or two on the IB will be considered provided there were exceptional circumstances related to the first sitting. Please note we cannot consider additional information before you have submitted your application."
Reply 90
Also it still says BCC in some parts of the website =/
Original post by Shalo1
heyy i need major advice.

right, i finished my A-Levels this year with grades BCC
i achieved those grades, by resitting some modules (during the 2 years); however i read somewhere that Southampton for the BM6 dont accept the resitting of modules and they need to be done in one sitting or that resit modules will be looked at as well. so i presume people who have resat modules during the 2 years will be at some sort of disadvantage?

anyway, my other dilemma is regards to the entry requirements. Theres a video of the open day for medicine for 2013, and it shows a presentation, where it states that the entry requirements for the BM6 course is BCC
however, when i checked the website, it said that it was BBC =(

and lets say that it was BBC. Im planning on resitting some modules again this jan, will they accept resit applicants for the BM6 course? or is that it, will i not be able to apply?

It's BBC for BM6 now. Don't worry about having resat modules during the 2 years however Southampton only accept 1 subject resit after the 2 years.

Original post by Shalo1
Also it still says BCC in some parts of the website =/

I think this is because of last years requirements (2 years before it was CCC!) but yes, it's BBC now :smile:
Reply 92
It's BBC for BM6 now. Don't worry about having resat modules during the 2 years however Southampton only accept 1 subject resit after the 2 years.

Ahh, so say they give me an offer of BBC, they would allow me to resit one of my C subjects this January. So my offer would be reliant on if i manage to change that one subject to a B grade
and therefore any other subject i decide to resit (during the 3rd year of A-level) will be ignored? or will i not be eligible due to the fact im resitting more that one subject.
Original post by Shalo1
Ahh, so say they give me an offer of BBC, they would allow me to resit one of my C subjects this January. So my offer would be reliant on if i manage to change that one subject to a B grade
and therefore any other subject i decide to resit (during the 3rd year of A-level) will be ignored? or will i not be eligible due to the fact im resitting more that one subject.

You can only resit one subject. So if you resit more than one subject they'll see it as more than 1 subject and you'll not be eligible. You might be able to resit the B to get an A and argue your case but it is definitely not worth the risk! I'll double check with admissions though :smile:
Reply 94
My mum didnt go to uni and my dad did but he went when he was 24 and it was in another country. Does this mean i don't fit the criteria?
Original post by Star164
My mum didnt go to uni and my dad did but he went when he was 24 and it was in another country. Does this mean i don't fit the criteria?

Not necessarily. There are several criteria and you only need to meet 2. First generation is just one of them:

BM6 <- Go to "entry requirements" and scroll to the bottom. You'll find the list of criteria there. You need to meet two
[URL="http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/peripheral-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/8CE52FDFA3BE413E82823F379BA8B76B/faq-about-bm6-352[1].pdf"]Info on the screening criteria - more detailed info on the crieria

I think if your parents didn't go straight after college/school and not in the UK they will still allow you to be considered "first generation".

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96
Do Southampton interview everyone for the BM6 programme?
Original post by Topcat94
Do Southampton interview everyone for the BM6 programme?

Yes. Well, not everyone that applies gets an interview obviously. But you have to be interviewed to get an offer.
Reply 98
Hi. I want to apply to the BM6 programme at soton with predicted grades ABB. I am worried my grades aren't good enough? Is it worth me applying this year?
Also, what scores are everyone for the BM6 getting in their ukcat? It says on the website that there isn't a cut off score but they do consider it alongside the application.
Reply 99
Original post by Asully
Hi. I want to apply to the BM6 programme at soton with predicted grades ABB. I am worried my grades aren't good enough? Is it worth me applying this year?
Also, what scores are everyone for the BM6 getting in their ukcat? It says on the website that there isn't a cut off score but they do consider it alongside the application.

The entry requirements are BBC so there's no need to worry about your predicted grades. I would apply this year as every year there seem to be more applicants and also the entry requirements may go up to BBB.

I only got 600 in my UKCAT, which wasn't great at all, but i'm starting BM6 this year. They don't look at the UKCAT for interview selection, they look at your reference, personal statement and predicted grades. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending