The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2013

Hey! :smile:
I saw that there was a thread for applicants that were applying for 2012 entry and decided to start one for those of us hoping to get in for 2013.
So if anyone has and experience or tips for the application process I guess this would be a good place to post :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not applying to this course, but I'm impressed by the keenness aha.

I guess my advice on applying to SOTON (BM5 applicant this time around with an offer) is spend the time to hammer out a great PS. Mention what you learnt from your experiences and don't just list out the various stuff you did.

Hopefully this time next year I'd be of more assistance :-)
Reply 2
Original post by Shauny4667
Hey! :smile:
I saw that there was a thread for applicants that were applying for 2012 entry and decided to start one for those of us hoping to get in for 2013.
So if anyone has and experience or tips for the application process I guess this would be a good place to post :biggrin:

Hi , I'm hoping to apply in 2013 and I'm the only one in my college that I know of that's applying, do you mind me asking What your offering them?
Reply 3
Original post by Glia
Not applying to this course, but I'm impressed by the keenness aha.

I guess my advice on applying to SOTON (BM5 applicant this time around with an offer) is spend the time to hammer out a great PS. Mention what you learnt from your experiences and don't just list out the various stuff you did.

Hopefully this time next year I'd be of more assistance :-)

Thanks! :smile: I heard that SOTON really more on PS than most over universities. Congrats on the offer!! Good luck for your summer exams!!

Original post by Einir
Hi , I'm hoping to apply in 2013 and I'm the only one in my college that I know of that's applying, do you mind me asking What your offering them?

Hay, I'm the same, not many people in my college are really looking into medicine, yet alone doing a BM6.
In which sense? Academic or work experience or...?
If you mean those then I'm predicted AAB in Biology Psychology and Chemistry AS and should be the same next year for A2, I'm not doing a fourth AS due to circumstances at the beginning of the year. I have a very varied work experience but the relevant ones are that I have been living with and caring for my elderly grandfather since I was 5, my cousin is severely autistic and deaf as we are the same age I've grown up being very close with her and since early teens becoming one of her primary carers. I've worked all of my school holidays with my mum at her work which is a charity that cares for mentally and physically disabled adults. I also volunteer on Sundays at the local hospice (Just like reading books to people, listening to stories and stuff) and I've applied for and waiting for the dates of a weeks shadowing of a surgeon at the local hospital. To be honest I'm not even sure how much of that is relevant or not, but hopefully i'll get a few more things under my belt before application times…
How about you?
Reply 4
I'm also doing Biology , Chemistry and Psychology at the moment along with the welsh baccalaureate(compulsory unfortunately), I'm predicted AAA .

I dont have any work experience yet , I have 2 days confirmed work experience in the Microbiology labs this summer , but apparently the local hospital wont give "medical" work experience placements to people without 5 A*GCSE's so that counts me out.

I am hoping to become a ward volunteer there helping the nurses this summer.
I am currently a Stroke association volunteer as a communication support volunteer, but that's limited to non term time .

I currently work in a cafe to help my family financialy and lack any connections with the proffesion , so I'm finding it difficult to fit work experience and extra curricular activities ( other than learning french and bass) but hopefully I will be able to do more over the summer :smile:
Reply 5
Oh really? That's great! I wanted to go into microbiology if I don't get in to medicine. Ahh that's a shame, I guess it's different for each place (I only got 2 As 7 Bs and a C).
Good luck with the volunteering, and wow; you seem so much more prepared for this than me :/
I do odd jobs here and there too. I'm trying to learn French too (but it's just something i'm doing by myself) and I've started learning guitar recently too :smile:
Reply 6
Nice! :smile: Im teaching myself both at the moment , I'm just waiting for a bass guitar as im using a normal accoustic at the moment.

Do you know of any other courses similar to this available?I think there is one in east anglia ...

Anyway, I need to disscuss this with my college tutor, I will update A.S.A.P , good luck with everything :biggrin:
Reply 7
I only just found out about this now :O Wow, I think I'll be applying through this route then :biggrin: How were all of your GCSE's? :smile:
Reply 9
I only just found out about this now :O Wow, I think I'll be applying through this route then How were all of your GCSE's?

I got 1 A* 2 As, 8 Bs, 1 C and a distinction :/ how about you?
Original post by Shauny4667
I got 1 A* 2 As, 8 Bs, 1 C and a distinction :/ how about you?

Those are good grades :smile: I got 8As and 4Bs. I don't think my AS grades are going to be any better :frown:
Reply 11
Hi
I am too looking at applying . Well I have in total 2 months lab work in a huge pharma company, 2 weeks at a hospice and a few days shadowing consultants, plus a trip to Africa to build a school :smile:
Reply 12

Hi I just thought I would let you know I'm not planning on doing medicine anymore , I would like a more scientific career so I'm doing biochemistry instead :smile:
Reply 13
Does anyone know what they mean by "means tested benefits"? Does this include working Tax credit and income support?
Reply 14
Original post by LRC4321
Does anyone know what they mean by "means tested benefits"? Does this include working Tax credit and income support?

Here you go mate :smile:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/peripheral-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/8CE52FDFA3BE413E82823F379BA8B76B/faq-about-bm6-352[1].pdf

Fml, looks like this PDF won't open! Copy and paste the URL into google and click on the first link.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Ok thanks. I guess to are going for the course as well? :smile:
Hey! I am an ex-BM6 (2010/11) nwo BM5 and am more than happy to help out.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/news/seminars/2012/07/bm6_widening_access_to_medicine_summer_school_2012.page

I spotted this the other day - it's a free BM6 taster summer school. Might be worth looking into.

But yeah, any questions I am more than happy to help! <3 Good luck!
Reply 17
Hi,
I have a few questions. One being how many people from your BM6 went on to do BM5. Second being how beneficial did you find the BM6 program?
Original post by LRC4321
Hi,
I have a few questions. One being how many people from your BM6 went on to do BM5. Second being how beneficial did you find the BM6 program?

We had 33 in the class. 31 passed and went through, 2 failed. One of those switched to BioMed and the other has just resat the exams and will be joining BM5 next Oct. So 32/33 made it. :smile:

I loved BM6. You make friends, get to know the uni and how to write essays/take exams etc. You get to know lecturers and you get a head start as you cover units from the BM5 course so you're ahead of the game come BM5. There are loads of benefits to BM6 and I think most of the class would say that they found it very worthwhile.
Reply 19
Ok thanks, also what did you do to make you stand out on your application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending