Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

OCR PSYCHOLOGY G542 core studies May 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (d) Discuss the strengths and limitations of the behaviourist approach using examples from any study involving behaviourism (12)

Anyone able to give me any help with this question?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobby Greenberg III)
    A similarity by the study conducted by Bandura, Ross and Ross and the study conducted by Samuel and Bryant is that they both focus on the behaviour and development of children. Samuel and Bryant’s study shows that, as children grow older (specifically from the age range of 5 years 3 months – 8 years 3 months), their conservational skills develop, and it was found that there are fewer errors made as children “conserve”. Similarly, the study conducted by Bandura, Ross and Ross also focuses on children. 72 children were selected from Stanford University preschool, with the childrens’ ages ranging from 37 months – 69 months, with a mean age of 52. The study aimed to investigate the effects of a varying (a) sex of child (b) sex of model and (c) aggressive/non-aggressive model on the behaviour of the children

A difference between the two studies is the initial aims of the investigations. Samuel and Bryant instigated their research to investigate whether or not Piaget’s original research method of asking the same question twice when investigating children’s abilities to conserve was valid. Contrastingly, Bandura, Ross and Ross aimed to investigate the imitation of aggression from models to children, based on the principles of Social Learning Theory.
    Thank you!!! didn't realise you could write about the aims of the studies!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaHiNa)
    Yep you're right that is what came up on the jan 2012 paper.
    Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyclohexane)
    With reference to Thigpen and Cleckley's study of the three faces of Eve, describe how the Individual Differences approach could explain multiple personality disorder (4).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    The individual differences approach would explain multiple personality disorder as it would suggest that Eve had multiple personality because she had different psychological characteristics than other people, these different psychological characteristics caused her to have mutiple personality disorder.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobby Greenberg III)
    Attachment 151677
    Here is an image of the train on the subway.

Adjacent area early = the model sat in the adjacent area and intervened after passing the fourth station (approx. 70 seconds after the collapse)

Adjacent area late = the model sat in the adjacent area and intervened after passing the sixth station (approx. 150 seconds after the collapse)

Critical area early = the model sat in the critical area and intervened after passing the fourth station (approx. 70 seconds after the collapse)

Critical area late = the model sat in the critical area and intervened after passing the sixth station (approx. 150 seconds after the collapse)

Thank you so much!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    this exam is on Tuesday, right?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoppy123)
    Well they group up the Section B studies on how similar they are, and as maguire hasn't come up before, it seems like it must come up, so 2 others which are similar which have come up once may come up.

Also, yes including jan 2012, our teacher gave us a pack of all the papers including jan 2012 and I'm just going through all the questions for each study

I was looking for jan 2012 mark scheme but can't find anything on the internet. How did you answer section a question 2 and 8 in jan 2012?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smallfish008)
    I was looking for jan 2012 mark scheme but can't find anything on the internet. How did you answer section a question 2 and 8 in jan 2012?
    can u pls put up the jan 12 paper? thankx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've attached the Mark scheme and paper to this post, hope it works, it's the first time I'm doing this
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf G542_MS_Jan12.pdf (134.5 KB, 226 views)
  2. File Type: pdf G542-01Jan12.pdf (143.7 KB, 168 views)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am absolutely dreading this exam tomorrow :O I still have so much to revise and looked at the Jan 2012 paper and I couldn't answer any question! I am so gonna fail
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is knowing the background of the study very important? I keep looking at past papers and it doesn't tend to come up so is it useless revising them?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eselle)
    Is knowing the background of the study very important? I keep looking at past papers and it doesn't tend to come up so is it useless revising them?
    They do ask about the background as Section A can be on anything from the background, method, procedure, sample, results, findings, evaluation points etc etc so i'd go over it just to stay on the safe side! I'm so dreading this exam tomorrow it's unreal
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the Savage-Rumbaugh study, what's the difference between spontaneous, imitated and structured utterances?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkhan9035)
    i am absolutely dreading this exam tomorrow i still have so much to revise and looked at the jan 2012 paper and i couldn't answer any question! I am so gonna fail
    could you send me the jan 2012 paper please?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's already here but i'll give you the link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...7&d=1338164627
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...8&d=1338164627
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aisha302)
    could you send me the jan 2012 paper please?
    It's already here but here's the links:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...7&d=1338164627
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...8&d=1338164627
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the long reply, The question 2 wants you to say like....

Kanzi's symbol use was classified in two ways, Kanzi's symbol use must be appropriate for the task in hand, e.g if he was hungry, he would point to a bananan.

Kanzi's symbol use must also be spontaenous 9/10 times with no assistance from the researchers.

And In question 8

The visual stimuli were presented on monitor in which the participants were asked to stare directly at a dot in the middle of the screen, one image on either the right or left of the screen were presented for 0.5 seconds, an adequate time for only one vision field (either left or right) to see it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All approach assumptions:

Cognitive approach: This assumes that the human mind is like a computer, as both computers and our minds process and interpret information.

Social approach: This assumes that human behaviour is occurs in social context, and that our peers, colleagues and friends can infleunce our behaviour even when not present.

Developmental approach: This assumes that we go through systematical changes in our behaviour from conception to death. EG. Freud's psychosexual stages.

Individual differences approach: This assumes that individuals differ in their psychological characteristics, and this is what causes their difference in memory, intelligence etc.

Biological approach: This assumes that our behavior can be explain in terms of the physiological workings of the body and the brain e.g chemicals, genes. It supports the nature argument.

Behaviourist: This approach assumes that we are blank slates from birth and that all our behaviour is learnt from the environment. It supports the nurture argument.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the minimum we can get away with in this exam?? There's tooo much to learn my brain hurts
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with figuring out the grade boundaries? i.e. I want to find out how much I need to get in this paper to get an A overall for the AS qualification. For example, say you got 48/60 for the unit G541 paper (Psychological Investigations), what would you need to get in the unit G542 paper (Core Studies) to get an A overall keeping in mind that overall marks are allocated on a 30%:70% basis respectively for each paper?

Thanks in advance =)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2013
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.