The Student Room Group

OCR PSYCHOLOGY G542 core studies May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rubyfx
Reicher and Haslam is okay, what do you need to know? :smile:

it feels like everything :frown: i don't really understand the point of the experiment - i would much rather have studied about zimbardo's version! i honestly don't feel like i know anything :frown:(((
er the legitimacy, permeability and cognitive alternatives is a bit hazy - and also the conclusions/results? oops being a bit cheeky hehe
Original post by rubyfx
Can anyone suggest two changes to Maguire's study and the implications?

Do other types of transport, bus drivers, train etc.

Do sample changes, such as bigger sample, do left handed, include females.

The sample changes make it more representative and the results more generalisable, and the changing the transport may cause density of grey matter in the hippocampi to decrease/increase
Reply 102
Feel so tempted to revise only Piliavin but it's killing me cos like Sec A is 60 marks, and it's so much detail :eek:
Feel really disheartened by this exam, I reckon it'll be a toughie. :confused:
Who here, knows every single study, and do you think I will be able to learn them all from scratch if I do an all nighter, and start revising from now? Someone please give me some encouragement, feel like I'm dying. Ahah. :frown:
Reply 103
Original post by stoppy123
Do other types of transport, bus drivers, train etc.

Do sample changes, such as bigger sample, do left handed, include females.

The sample changes make it more representative and the results more generalisable, and the changing the transport may cause density of grey matter in the hippocampi to decrease/increase

Thank you! Good ideas :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by strawberryyoghurt
it feels like everything :frown: i don't really understand the point of the experiment - i would much rather have studied about zimbardo's version! i honestly don't feel like i know anything :frown:(((
er the legitimacy, permeability and cognitive alternatives is a bit hazy - and also the conclusions/results? oops being a bit cheeky hehe

I don't really know results for any i kinda make them up from what I know haha :P
but it's basically, guards did not have social identity, and failed to exert influence, whereas after the permability of groups was no more, the prisoners increased their group identity cos they knew they were stuck in their roles, so they worked together to challenege the guards.
That's all I can think of so far. :s-smilie:
I hope someone shines a light on us in the exaaaam!
Reply 105
How about changes to the Reicher and Haslam study? I can't think anymore.
Who think Piliavin will come up for sure?
Original post by rubyfx
How about changes to the Reicher and Haslam study? I can't think anymore.
Who think Piliavin will come up for sure?

Don't do a prison, do a school, or some other environment where there is unequal groups.

Remove the permeability of roles (chance of promo) see if group identity establishes quicker

Give guards and prisoners the same uniform, see if they have less group identity.

Give guards a less formal uniform, see if the difference in power becomes less :smile:

And Pilavin seems likely, but so dos Maguire
Reply 107
Don't do a prison, do a school, or some other environment where there is unequal groups.

Remove the permeability of roles (chance of promo) see if group identity establishes quicker

Give guards and prisoners the same uniform, see if they have less group identity.

Give guards a less formal uniform, see if the difference in power becomes less :smile:

And Pilavin seems likely, but so dos Maguire

Thanks, you seem like you know a lot :redface:
Have you thought of changes for each study before you go in the exam so you're prepared? I've done a few, but I give up now. Hahah.
Original post by rubyfx
Thanks, you seem like you know a lot :redface:
Have you thought of changes for each study before you go in the exam so you're prepared? I've done a few, but I give up now. Hahah.

Well our teacher did like changes and improvements for every study, so I've kinda remembered a few :biggrin:
Reply 109
Well our teacher did like changes and improvements for every study, so I've kinda remembered a few :biggrin:

Lucky you! I've been trying to think from scratch because we concentrated on content. :/
Do you feel ready for the exam?
I've done notes on all studies but haven't even learnt them yet. I'm planning on waking up super early and learn all 15. Impossible mission.
i am really struggling with the behaviourist approach - we didn't go through it in class? and people are saying that it is very likely to come up? any tips?
Reply 111
i am really struggling with the behaviourist approach - we didn't go through it in class? and people are saying that it is very likely to come up? any tips?

Neither did we. That's why I'm focusing on the 5 approaches more, cos I ain't got no notes on it :|
Reply 112
Original post by Bobby Greenberg III
Ads/Disadvs of the Psychodynamic perspective?

Advantages :
Use of case studies lots of qualitative in depth data so we get a good understanding of the cause of problem eg Eve
The key assumptions of the perspective have been extensively supported by other research

Disadvantages :
The perspective has relied on the most unscientific research methods e.g. case studies
Theories are unfalsifiable (we can never prove them right or wrong)
Reply 113

With help on this here are my notes~

Studies that are included:

Bandura

Milgram

Piliavin

Reicher and Haslam

Assumptions
All behaviour is learned from the environment after birth through classical conditioning, operant conditioning and social learning theory (Bandura).

Behaviours that need to be known and linked to study:
Obedience (Milgram)
Aggression in children (Bandura)
Helping/ not helping (Piliavin)

Advantages
Very scientific - uses lab’ experiments which are well controlled with high internal validity.
It has many practical applications: e.g. behaviour modification in schools

Disadvantages
Often uses lab experiments which lack ecological validity (eg Bandura, Milgram)
Reductionist and ignores biology and cognition
If the behaviourist approach does come up, does anyone know if you can use the studies learnt in A2?
Original post by eselle
With help on this here are my notes~

Studies that are included:

Bandura

Milgram

Piliavin

Reicher and Haslam

Assumptions
All behaviour is learned from the environment after birth through classical conditioning, operant conditioning and social learning theory (Bandura).

Behaviours that need to be known and linked to study:
Obedience (Milgram)
Aggression in children (Bandura)
Helping/ not helping (Piliavin)

Advantages
Very scientific - uses lab’ experiments which are well controlled with high internal validity.
It has many practical applications: e.g. behaviour modification in schools

Disadvantages
Often uses lab experiments which lack ecological validity (eg Bandura, Milgram)
Reductionist and ignores biology and cognition

oh my god thank you SOSOSOSO MUCH DJFKLDSFAS

My teacher reckons that out of the two, Behaviourist is likely to come up.

Original post by rubyfx
Neither did we. That's why I'm focusing on the 5 approaches more, cos I ain't got no notes on it :|

Honestly, I'm doing the same. I haven't done any, and I mean ANY, revision for perspectives. Why? My teacher also told us that it's impossible for two perspectives to come up; it will either be:

- 2 approaches or

- An approach and a perspective

This is apparently after talking to the exam board, so I'm taking his word for it. So yeah, I know literally nothing about any perspectives. We weren't really taught much about them anyway so the general advice seems to be 'do an approach', because they have studies allocated to them that the examiner can't argue with. :smile:

Original post by lucyyy131992
If the behaviourist approach does come up, does anyone know if you can use the studies learnt in A2?

I don't know, email a teacher about it now? I wouldn't have thought so since this is an AS level exam, but that's just an educated guess, I don't know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by flopped.it.
This might help? (:

Behaviourist Perspective
The behaviourist perspective was a dominant approach in psychology for the first half of the 20th century and has left psychology with some useful techniques.
The main assumption of the behaviourist perspective is that all behaviour is learned and shaped by the environment. For example in the Bandura et al. study it is demonstrated how aggression is learned and shaped by role models.
The behaviourist perspective also argues that in order for psychology to be scientific it should focus on observable behaviour which can be objectively measured rather than on things like cognitive processes which can only be inferred.
Two important learning theories proposed by the behaviourist perspective are classical conditioning (Pavlov) and operant conditioning (Skinner). Classical conditioning explains how we learn behaviours through association and operant conditioning explains how the consequences of behaviours (reinforcers) shape behaviour.
An early example of a study into operant conditioning was carried out by Skinner (1935). Skinner placed rats and pigeons in a box whereby pressing a lever resulted in food being dispensed. From the accidental knocking of the lever, the rats and pigeons quickly learned to deliberately press the lever to obtain food. Skinner was then able to teach rats and pigeons to press the lever for food, based on the presentation of different stimuli and was able to conclude that behaviour is shaped by its consequence. That is, if an animal is rewarded for doing a particular behaviour such as pecking at a circle, it will be more likely to carry out this behaviour in the future and if a pigeon is not rewarded (or even punished) for pecking at a square then it will be less likely to carry out this behaviour in the future.
Social learning theory can be seen as an extension of behaviourism and was developed by theorists such as Albert Bandura. Bandura’s early work was influenced by the behaviourist perspective in the way that it focused on learning, observable behaviour but he did recognise the need to understand cognitive process.
There are some similarities and differences between the Bandura core study and earlier behaviourist studies such as those by Skinner.
Both the core study by Bandura et al. and behavioural studies such as those carried out by Skinner were carried out in highly controlled situations. For example, Skinner invented what is now known as a Skinner box ensuring that the conditions were the same for all animals and Bandura carried out highly controlled experiments whereby the only variable that differed was the variable manipulated by the experimenters such as the behaviour or sex of the role models.
Both Bandura and Skinner investigated learned behaviour. Skinner was able to demonstrate the learning of behaviour by teaching animals new behaviour that they had not previously acquired in the wild and Bandura was able to demonstrate that children learn aggression by using both passive and aggressive role models. Those children exposed to an aggressive role model were more likely to behave aggressively.
Bandura’s study of aggression used human participants whereas Skinner’s studies of operant conditioning used animals. For example the Bandura experiment used 72 boys and girls from a nursery school whereas Skinner used numerous rats and pigeons. This does mean that we can generalise to other humans from Bandura’s study with more confidence than Skinner’s study of pigeons and rats.
Bandura studied learning which occurred without a reward whereas Skinner studied learning that is shaped by a reward. Bandura’s study of aggression demonstrated that children did not need a reward to imitate a role model whereas Skinner could only shape the animals behaviour through reinforcements (rewards and punishments).
A main strength of the behaviourist perspective has been the development of useful applications. Behaviourism offers very practical ways of changing behaviour from for example therapies through to advertising. However at the same time this does raise an ethical issue as if the behaviourist perspective is able to control behaviour who decides which behaviour should be controlled or changed.
A further important contribution of the behaviourist perspective has been the emphasis on objective and scientific ways of studying behaviour. However, this does raise the issues of generalisation as it is difficult to generalise finding from laboratory studies and especially so when generalising from non human animals to humans
Perhaps the main problem with the behaviourist approach occurs because by not focusing on cognitive processes it is only giving a partial explanation of human experience. However the influence of the behaviourist perspective can be seen in more modern perspectives such as the cognitive behavioural approach which still takes a behaviourist approach but recognises the role of cognition. Bandura’s later research can be seen as taking a cognitive behavioural approach.
A further problem with the behavioural perspective is that many of the practical uses of the approach such as aversion therapy and token economy systems when used as a way of changing behaviour do tend to be short lived. That is, they do change behaviour but often only for a limited time.

Hey, I know this is from holah, but isn't there 3 not 2 ways of learning behaviour? - - ->> learning through imitation, rewards/punishment and association.
Reply 118
Strengths and weaknesses of the approaches.

Developmental

Strengths:

Shows the difference between children and adults

Uses a variety of research methods.

Usefulness (can stop media showing violent behaviour to children)

Can provide explanations

Can suggest how events in early life may impact an adult later on.

Weaknesses:

Focuses on old studies (Freud 1909)

Doesn't show any other development than children.

Problems of study children, ethics etc.

It over-generalises.

Social

Strengths:

We are normally around people

Uses observation as it's research method - High in ecological validity.

Provide explanations (holocaust - Milgrim)

Usefulness (shows group identity - R+H)

Weaknesses:

Uses observation so low in ecological validity.

Lack of generalisation as different countries/cultures may behave differently.

Tends to ignore biology (people may have enjoyed giving the electric shock)

Tends to be only snapshot studies which only provide a glimpse of our behaviour.

Cognitive

Strengths:

Uses Experiements - high amounts of control.

Useful practical applications e.g the police and critical questions.

Provides explanations (language acquisation)

Increases the understanding of other species, e.g chimps in savage rumbaugh.

Weaknesses:

Is very cold, doesn't believe in freewill of humans.

It's RM has high demand characteristics.

It is reductionist, reducing down behaviour to one factor.

It is over simplistic and reduces the complex human mind down to a computer.

Individual differences.

Strengths:

Looks at individuals, the people who other approaches reject.

Is useful as it shows problems e.g mental illness diagnosis.

Can provide help for individuals.

Weaknesses:

Very subjective.

Small samples usually, so lack of generalisation.

The subjects are usually very rare, so tests may work on one case but not another.

Physiological

Strengths:

RM - Lab, very controlled.

Objective evidence as it is scientific.

Usefulness - can help us understand normal brain function (sperry)

Evidence - Much evidence for other research comes from biological.

Weaknesses:

RM - Lab very low in EV

Small samples lack of generalisation.

Reductionist. as it reduces down our behaviour to simple biological processes.

Expensive equipment, e.g maguire MRI scan.

Behaviourist

Strengths:

RM - Lab exp high in control.

Useful - can show aggression is influenced by the environment

Can predict and promote behaviour (eg kanzi, giving sweets for language)

Weaknesses:

RM - Low in EV

Only supports nurture (eg. bandura)

Difficult to observe. Eg 'thinking aloud' very bad way of measuring as it can be censored.

Very dense notes of the negatives and positives of the approaches if anyone needs them :smile:

You are a complete genius! :biggrin:
For OCR the Behaviourist perspective refers to which case studies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending