The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 2 25/05/12 - PHYA2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uxa595
here you go:

can you put the hooke's law one on please? Thanks!
Reply 1241
hey you see on question 7...the last question of the paper, where it asked to draw an arrow to show the direction of the particle moving next? normally i would say it's going right...but on the jan 2012 paper there was a question similar where it said on the mark scheme that it was moving to the left...or am i just completely wrong o.O
Original post by sreddy17
well is it ok to do a wire then?

idk bro you might get some marks i think you will get most but not all since it had specified for a spring.
Still find it incredible that people are debating a question that wasn't even on the paper. Phase difference =/= phase relationship, and they're not going to expect you to do calculations that aren't actually on the syllabus in order to work out a one mark 'state' question!
Reply 1244
here
Original post by HaranT2
hey you see on question 7...the last question of the paper, where it asked to draw an arrow to show the direction of the particle moving next? normally i would say it's going right...but on the jan 2012 paper there was a question similar where it said on the mark scheme that it was moving to the left...or am i just completely wrong o.O

i said to the left...
Can't believe there was NOTHING on Young's slits/modulus etc... That was what I spent 95% of my time revising, grrr. So to confirm, 3/4 and 7/4 pi radians would score no marks for that phase difference question?? Say I lost about 15 marks... Is an A in this exam still in reach?
Original post by Amirrryy
i said to the left...

do u think i would get the marks for the wire?
Reply 1248
Original post by uxa595
okidokes, i will take a pic of a few questions, not the whole paper.

Select some questions you want a look at and i'l post them.

It would be great if you could post the 6 mark question!
Original post by uxa595
only noobs do physics b :smile:

Is there not a topic for it? :angry:
Original post by anuradha_d
No, like ive learnt it! I mean revision!:biggrin:

oh well duhh...
Original post by Member737,514
Can't believe there was NOTHING on Young's slits/modulus etc... That was what I spent 95% of my time revising, grrr. So to confirm, 3/4 and 7/4 pi radians would score no marks for that phase difference question?? Say I lost about 15 marks... Is an A in this exam still in reach?

yea guesses are it's 48 for an A :smile:
Reply 1252
i thought the 6 mark was fairly easy.

Clamp, hang the spring, variable weights. Counterweight.

Then explain.
measure initial spring length with a ruler. hang spring off the clamp. put various weights UP TO 20N on the spring and measure the extension with a ruler. Use hooke's law rearranged to find k for the various weights. Take a mean to be more accurate. Use more accurate weights to remove uncertainty further.
Reply 1253
Are people still discussing the phase difference question? haha someone got a photo of the actual question so we can once and for all put it to rest
Reply 1255
Original post by uxa595
Anyone posted the mark scheme yet?
I've got my hands on a test paper tho so i know roughly where i went right or wrong.

You a teacher, or did you manage to 007 the paper home since you won't upload it all?
Original post by uxa595

Then explain.
measure initial spring length with a ruler. hang spring off the clamp. put various weights UP TO 20N on the spring and measure the extension with a ruler. Use hooke's law rearranged to find k for the various weights. Take a mean to be more accurate. Use more accurate weights to remove uncertainty further.

to find the spring constant you just use the gradient of the graph of your results.
Original post by uxa595

Then explain.

it said about 20N..so i said to a maximum of 30 N to make sure....and idk if you can say take mean from different values and rearrange hookes law...i said draw a graph of force against extension and measure gradient for linear section of graph. other than that i wrote the same things.
Reply 1258
Original post by OFWGKTA
You a teacher, or did you manage to 007 the paper home since you won't upload it all?

007 lol. I sat the paper and got questions wrong, so it's highly doubtful that i'm a teacher :wink:

Original post by cant_think_of_name
to find the spring constant you just use the gradient of the graph of your results.

yh, i was going to say that's a way to be accurate, but according to old papers, my method is fine too.

1-2 marks potentially for a diagram
1-2 for saying how you do the measurements and set it up.
1 mark for something related to 20n
1 mark for accuracy.
Reply 1259
Original post by Amirrryy
it said about 20N..so i said to a maximum of 30 N to make sure....and idk if you can say take mean from different values and rearrange hookes law...i said draw a graph of force against extension and measure gradient for linear section of graph. other than that i wrote the same things.

You can calculating hookes law constant, not finding out it's elastic limit. There was no need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending