The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 2 25/05/12 - PHYA2

Scroll to see replies

How many marks was the which combination has more energy stored in it for parallel and series?
Original post by Benniboi1
How many marks was the which combination has more energy stored in it for parallel and series?

3 marks
The series one had greater stored energy. because elastic potential energy is proportional to the extension of the wire.

Edit: proportional
(edited 11 years ago)
any unofficial mark scheme?]
Original post by Little Wing
The series one had greater stored energy. because elastic potential energy is potential to the extension of the wire.

would you get all 3 marks for that? Because I said that but then said that it was because in the series combination the top spring has to support the bottom springs weight so total extension is greater meaning stored energy is greater? :smile:

(I was clutching at straws a bit with that last question..)
Original post by Benniboi1
would you get all 3 marks for that? Because I said that but then said that it was because in the series combination the top spring has to support the bottom springs weight so total extension is greater meaning stored energy is greater? :smile:

(I was clutching at straws a bit with that last question..)

I would think so, but not completely sure.
I would think so, but not completely sure.

thanks!
Reply 1347
Original post by FK_
120 UMS

Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\begin{tabular}{|c|c|} \hline[br]Year & Mark /70 \\ \hline \hline[br]Jan 2009 & 61 \\ \hline[br]June 2009 & 70 \\ \hline[br]Jan 2010 & 60 \\ \hline[br]June 2010 & 57 \\ \hline[br]Jan 2011 & 62 \\ \hline[br]June 2011 & 59 \\ \hline[br]Jan 2012 & 58 \\ \hline[br]\end{tabular}[br]

Judging by this, I'd say for 120 UMS you'd have to get around the 60 mark for this paper, which, hopefully, I've barely scraped. Frankly though, it's not about how hard a paper is per se, but about how badly people do. So if the rest of the country do badly, which I think they will, the boundaries may be that smallest bit lower.
Original post by ragre
Judging by this, I'd say for 120 UMS you'd have to get around the 60 mark for this paper, which, hopefully, I've barely scraped. Frankly though, it's not about how hard a paper is per se, but about how badly people do. So if the rest of the country do badly, which I think they will, the boundaries may be that smallest bit lower.

yep and in this thread, there were so many arguments about the spring question and phase difference one so i bet ALOT of people messed up on those. well i hope...
The series one had greater stored energy. because elastic potential energy is proportional to the extension of the wire.

Edit: proportional

I put that down too. I wasn't expecting the springs to come up at all though , so I wasn't very good at them...
hence 48 for an A is reasonable? :P
Original post by Amirrryy
hence 48 for an A is reasonable? :P

Well considering it did catch me out, I think so, but then again the rest of the paper was pretty good...
does anyone know what the second page of questions on the refraction/fibres was about? i remember the diagram on the first page was repeated onto the second but what was asked on that page? anyone?
Original post by ragre

Doubt it would be 60 for an A, yesterday was comparable with the june 2009 exam in terms of difficulty and for that paper it was 70/70 for full UMS and about 56/70 for an A grade.

Yesterday apart from the two questions (spring and phase) and maybe the satelite dish question, it was a pretty straight forward exam, those two questions can't have counted for many marks, if I can recall, the spring was 5 marks and the phase question was 4 marks. Unless this year's students are somehow much dumber than previous years (can't imagine how this could happen), I think the boundaries should be roughly the same as in june 2009, maybe even higher perhaps.
Reply 1354
Q4c
What did people put as the answer?
Original post by Amirrryy
does anyone know what the second page of questions on the refraction/fibres was about? i remember the diagram on the first page was repeated onto the second but what was asked on that page? anyone?

1) Name part X [1 mark]
2) Calculate the critical angle between X and the core [2 marks]
3) Calculate the angle i [1 mark]
4) Calculate the angle r [2 marks]
5) State and Explain one advantage of a smaller core. [2 marks]

There you go.

Just realised the paper has just been posted...
Reply 1356
Hey could anyone please post up the question paper and final unofficial mark scheme without further adjustment please, so i can see what question i think i got wrong and as to calculate my final mark:smile:
Reply 1357
Original post by Kirby711
1) Name part X [1 mark]

There you go.

whereabouts is it, could you tell me please
Original post by Kirby711
1) Name part X [1 mark]

There you go.

yea thanks haha
Original post by uxa595
Q4c
What did people put as the answer?

THIS QUESTION!

I put that it won't have the problem of 'dispersion', then afterwards I came home and realised the textbook has it was 'multi-path dispersion', guys how ****ed am I?

NOTE: I did explain how pulses travelling on the straight line (along the central axis) will get to the end quicker than the pulses being reflected along the way, hence making the pulses longer and making it more likely it'll merge with other pulses and distorting the information carried by the pulse.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending