Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why are privately educated middle-class using urban slang?

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Candidate for post of the year. Exactly what I was thinking.
    Thanks!

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Procrastinating when I shouldn't be but I like ranting about this subject.

People who are born and raised in environments where they have been given very middle class lifestyles all their life feel like they're missing out on something that working class people have - some supposed reason to be "ghetto" (in their mind)..
    It's like having been in an environment they consider "a "boring" background at home, they really want to try and fit in and so erode their own sort of background/personality/upbringing to try and fit in where they feel they've been missing out on.

And don't thumb this comment down or tell me it isn't true, because I am very working class but have gone through middle-class schooling all my life (which honestly I'm grateful for) and I know too many people that act like they are hoodrat or ghetto or just like they come from some rough background when daddy and mummy are some of the most intelligent in their professions. I also have a tonne of people who ahve agreed with me on this point, and a tonne more that will never quite grasp it. It's about some sort of rebellion these lot feel they have to go through, and people try moulding themselves into something they really are not.

And I'm not saying everyone wants to be working class - no - but a lot of middle class people act this way because honestly, they seem to think that's how to fit in.

I'd say people really need to be themselves more, but I kind of believe some people act and do things because they themselves lack truly independent personality - and it really is common-place.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's what hipsters do.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think it starts off by one/some doing it ironically, then the rest of their group copying to be cool.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haven't heard chung, buff or wagwan since I was in the early years of secondary school :lol: Haven't heard wasteman in a good year either. Or ends. Nice blast from the past there.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's because their pathetic. So bothered by their upbringing they feel 'hip' when they can say the words that young less priviledged kids can say. I find it embarassing when my friends talk that way and we didnt even attend private school.

It's just so dumb to say the least. By hiding their middle class talking like someone from the ghetto makes them cooler. Fakes.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Never heard of chung or cotchin before?
    loooooool I haven't heard anyone use those words in years! :lol:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    sick thread

bare man hating innit but its always expected jajajaja
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    All of those words are outdated, "chung"? really? I'd laugh at them, and I'm from London :teehee:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because if they be themselves they are accused of being rich, posh tory wan*ers!
    • 14 followers

I'm not going to say anything about class division, I'm not :erm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingInsane)
    I go to quite a prestigious university and many of the people I hang around with are generally privately educated and very middle-class and many live in rural areas.

However, many of them insist of using urban slang, more associated with people from urban, inner-city areas, mainly London. So they're using words like "bare, ,chung, sick, wagwan, buff, endz, cotchin, wasteman" etc..

It really makes me cringe when I have to listen to them talking but at the same time I'm left wondering just why? Are they trying to be "cool"?
    Y u hatin?

Language is evolving. Unfriend them if you're so butthurt.

U mad I go to a top university and listen to rap and hip hop and speak like I'm from South Central LA? Yeh u mad
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I thought chunging something was holding smoke in your lungs...

I missed out on most of the slang I think

(Original post by The Dr Shah)
    Procrastinating when I shouldn't be but I like ranting about this subject.

People who are born and raised in environments where they have been given very middle class lifestyles all their life feel like they're missing out on something that working class people have - some supposed reason to be "ghetto" (in their mind)..
    It's like having been in an environment they consider "a "boring" background at home, they really want to try and fit in and so erode their own sort of background/personality/upbringing to try and fit in where they feel they've been missing out on.

And don't thumb this comment down or tell me it isn't true, because I am very working class but have gone through middle-class schooling all my life (which honestly I'm grateful for) and I know too many people that act like they are hoodrat or ghetto or just like they come from some rough background when daddy and mummy are some of the most intelligent in their professions. I also have a tonne of people who ahve agreed with me on this point, and a tonne more that will never quite grasp it. It's about some sort of rebellion these lot feel they have to go through, and people try moulding themselves into something they really are not.

And I'm not saying everyone wants to be working class - no - but a lot of middle class people act this way because honestly, they seem to think that's how to fit in.

I'd say people really need to be themselves more, but I kind of believe some people act and do things because they themselves lack truly independent personality - and it really is common-place.
    You're right but a lot of it is probably because people take the piss out of middle class kids like somehow they should feel guilty for being born into whatever family they have been. I'm not that bothered but one thing that always annoys me is when people refer to parents off middle class kids as 'mummy' and 'daddy' as if all middle class people are spoilt/posh or whatever. You get so many people taking the piss out of middle class kids by making them seem insanely sheltered and then you wonder why they try to distance themselves from their stereotype. They sound pretty stupid but they're not as bad as the people who constantly rip on them for being born into a certain family, as if they'd be any different if they were in the same situation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They do it to become more 'normal', they realise teens their age speak with a bit more freedom and expression, than 'oh my gap yah was so amazing, yah'.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, it looks so odd!
    I dont like Urban slang, i live in an area where its the norm.
    So when you hear a privately educated kid from a middle-class family
    using slang, i'm like "What? Did he/she just say that?!!"
    But hey, its a free country people can adopt any lifestyle, culture, way of thinking etc
    that they want, it dont bother me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    From my short hand experience at a local private school (having left asap) and being at a college where they most definitely dominate they simply watch too many of these grunge American/gangster etc films and music videos where this language is used frequently. Then because they cannot comprehend that people are normal believe that everyone else in the world, who isn't their typical idea of a person, acts like this and there can be no go between and then they "want to fit in" as everyone else put it :P all rather ridiculous.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cotching = jamming = chilling

So you could say (for example) ''Im gonna cotch at my girls yard''..

and chung = choong = piff = sexy

so you could say ''shes choong'' but no-one uses this word anymore lol
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    All I've literally heard of is 'siiiick'.

The others, I have no idea. They sound ridiculous, you must have douche-bag friends.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Blad, allow this. I do think it's peak when you get these private school kids talking like this but most of the time I think most of the time it does start off as taking the mick but then gradually happens so much that it morphs into the natural speech patterns of some.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think it's to be 'cool'. Because although they're encouraged not to in school, they have friends who don't go to private schools and if they're not hot with all the latest slang, it makes them somehow lame. I personally don't like using slang, but somethings you hear so often, it just becomes habit - which is really annoying.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.