Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are privately educated middle-class using urban slang?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do people still say wastegash anymore?
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol no one even uses buff anymore. It's like how 'nang' died about 5 years ago.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    YOLO
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thread title made me think of this.

<3 x
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dr Shah)
    Procrastinating when I shouldn't be but I like ranting about this subject.

People who are born and raised in environments where they have been given very middle class lifestyles all their life feel like they're missing out on something that working class people have - some supposed reason to be "ghetto" (in their mind)..
    It's like having been in an environment they consider "a "boring" background at home, they really want to try and fit in and so erode their own sort of background/personality/upbringing to try and fit in where they feel they've been missing out on.

And don't thumb this comment down or tell me it isn't true, because I am very working class but have gone through middle-class schooling all my life (which honestly I'm grateful for) and I know too many people that act like they are hoodrat or ghetto or just like they come from some rough background when daddy and mummy are some of the most intelligent in their professions. I also have a tonne of people who ahve agreed with me on this point, and a tonne more that will never quite grasp it. It's about some sort of rebellion these lot feel they have to go through, and people try moulding themselves into something they really are not.

And I'm not saying everyone wants to be working class - no - but a lot of middle class people act this way because honestly, they seem to think that's how to fit in.

I'd say people really need to be themselves more, but I kind of believe some people act and do things because they themselves lack truly independent personality - and it really is common-place.
    I agree.

Most of the words the OP mentioned are so outdated its laughable. I mean who still says "chung" , haven't heard that since I was about 15. The vocabulary of the inner-city yout' has since evolved.

Using outdated slang to sound "cool"?! Nah...makes you look like a fool.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Urban slang isn't exactly limited to lower class people

I use sick, wagwan quite alot
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ha, 'chong' is so old! I don't really understand the rest of them.

I overheard someone say 'dutty teefing' in a conversation today. What on earth does that mean?!

(Seriously, I will rep if anyone can tell me...I've even tried to google it )
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Never heard of chung or cotchin before?
    Cotch: its like jam, or chill or stay in one place.
    Cotchin, the act of.

Chung: no idea
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    Ha, 'chong' is so old! I don't really understand the rest of them.

I overheard someone say 'dutty teefing' in a conversation today. What on earth does that mean?!

(Seriously, I will rep if anyone can tell me...I've even tried to google it )
    Dirty thieving I presume. See heroine of hackney on youtube.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Dirty thieving I presume. See heroine of hackney on youtube.
    Ha, thanks ! That had been annoying me all day. I'll rep when TSR lets me
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just plain embarrassing for anyone to use it frankly. I use slang but slang that's been around for decades if not centuries. This new slang just does not match up, I consider it a corruption of English.

"Hype", "par".... Please, be quiet.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingInsane)
    I go to quite a prestigious university and many of the people I hang around with are generally privately educated and very middle-class and many live in rural areas.

However, many of them insist of using urban slang, more associated with people from urban, inner-city areas, mainly London. So they're using words like "bare, ,chung, sick, wagwan, buff, endz, cotchin, wasteman" etc..

It really makes me cringe when I have to listen to them talking but at the same time I'm left wondering just why? Are they trying to be "cool"?
    I fit your stereotype for class background/location, etc, but I don't know most of those words, other than "buff" - what on earth does "wasteman" refer to?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Cotch: its like jam, or chill or stay in one place.
    Cotchin, the act of.

Chung: no idea
    Apparently chung is another way of saying a girl is hot :erm:

In my area, we use jam, not cotch :mmm:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am privately educated and some of the people in my year and some of my friends speak like this mockingly... however some of them, I'm not so sure if they are mocking...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had a think (OK yah) and suggest the following plausible meanings for those very odd terms of what I understand are "street" sayings. How quaint.

Bare - A lack of clothing seems most obvious here, although possibly a crude sexual reference is implied. How dreadful.

Chung - As in Alexa? I think this must refer to a love of endlessly rotating and variable fashions, carried off in a mildly fey, slightly Asian manner.

Sick - Poorly or unwell. Clearly the same word is used at the Roots level as in common discourse amongst educated people in this case.

Wagwan - The state induced by eating regularly at Wagamama's. Can be rectified via the use of designer English or French consomme.

Buff - Clean, polished. How refreshing to see an old word back in popular usage amongst the young people.

Endz - As in "Split Endz" presumably. Hair problems.

Cotchin - A place in China noted for an oil extracted from ants. Marvellous how knowledgeable hoodies are these days.

Wasteman - A council recycling officer. A very socially responsible person. Marvellous! The Big Society message is really reaching down to the ordinary person.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because they are stupid.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't say they want to be 'cool' because the words you have listed are anything but that
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    I fit your stereotype for class background/location, etc, but I don't know most of those words, other than "buff" - what on earth does "wasteman" refer to?
    wasteman is a generally an insult to someone who does nothing good with their lives

e.g a college dropout/ no job could be called a "wasteman"

or you can use it just as a generally insult

"should we meet up with raheem?"
    "nah man allow him he's a wasteman"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've had a think (OK yah) and suggest the following plausible meanings for those very odd terms of what I understand are "street" sayings. How quaint.

Bare - A lack of clothing seems most obvious here, although possibly a crude sexual reference is implied. How dreadful.

Chung - As in Alexa? I think this must refer to a love of endlessly rotating and variable fashions, carried off in a mildly fey, slightly Asian manner.

Sick - Poorly or unwell. Clearly the same word is used at the Roots level as in common discourse amongst educated people in this case.

Wagwan - The state induced by eating regularly at Wagamama's. Can be rectified via the use of designer English or French consomme.

Buff - Clean, polished. How refreshing to see an old word back in popular usage amongst the young people.

Cotchin - A place in China noted for an oil extracted from ants. Marvellous how knowledgeable hoodies are these days.

Wasteman - A council recycling officer. A very socially responsible person. Marvellous! The Big Society message is really reaching down to the ordinary person.
    :muse:

This made me smile
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Haha lol
    generally with the slang the words just mean the exact opposite of what they usually mean
    e.g bare normally means nothing/not a lot... in slang it means a lot/large
    again with sick... sick means cool/amazing
    not sure if you were joking as surely you have heard and know what these mean
    endz is where you live
    wagwarn means whats up/hi a greeting
    Buff is meana mean fit but not really used
    cotching just like chilling
    wasteman is just an insult derived from someone doing nothing constructive with their live e.g raheem just dropped out of college, what a wasteman
    Chung- i have never heard of this once
    hope i helped

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.