Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which uni for computer science

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have received offers from Birmingham, Edinburgh and Sheffield to study Computer Science next year.

All things being equal, which of these do you think are the best universities for Computer Science?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is pretty good for CS, but so is Edinburgh - time to see which town you like better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard very good things about Edinburgh.
    I've heard good things about Birmingham.
    I've not heard anything about Sheffield.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, to be honest it was probably mainly between Birmingham and Edinburgh.
    I'm strangely drawn to Birmingham. Would I be stupid to reject an offer from Edinburgh?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends if there are any specifics you are looking for during your undergrad or afterwards. I think Edinburgh is slightly better known in the US but I could be wrong. The University of Edinburgh itself is very well known overseas because of its history. It also has an excellent informatics department: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...e-courses.html

The informatics department at Edinburgh is not only the biggest research group in Computer Science in the UK, but the biggest overall: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departme...rch-excellence
    The 2008 RAE confirms this and it is discussed in detail at http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mfourm...atics-and.html

If you're not that interested in research it won't make much of a difference to you. There are more module choices in Informatics at Edinburgh than Birmingham but not such a huge gap. If you prefer the city of Birmingham over Edinburgh and these factors of research aren't important to you, then I suggest you go to Birmingham since its CS program also looks quite good. Also, if you may be interested in student exchanges both universities have exchange program with ivy league universities (Bham: Cornell, Edin: Penn) so either way they are definitely well connected which is also an important factor.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 24, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.