The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's just my personal experience that I enjoy more in Edinburgh than Glasgow.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by magenta1
Hi guys :smile: Just wondering what you all think, would I be silly to decline Edinburgh University and accept Glasgow University instead?

Reasons for your answer would be good, thanks :biggrin:

I'm in the same position as you. I think I would prefer Glasgow but I feel stupid turning down Edinburgh because of the reaction I get from everyone by turning them down. But hey, it's what makes you happy. I don't think an employer is going to differentiate between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Besides the one you feel happier with is the one you are more likely to do better at and it is your degree classification that is the most important at the end of the day.
Reply 22
Original post by daviddd!1994
I'm in the same position as you. I think I would prefer Glasgow but I feel stupid turning down Edinburgh because of the reaction I get from everyone by turning them down. But hey, it's what makes you happy. I don't think an employer is going to differentiate between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Besides the one you feel happier with is the one you are more likely to do better at and it is your degree classification that is the most important at the end of the day.

Glad im not the only one :smile: Yeah that's exactly what im like as a lot of people in my school want to go to Edinburgh but they got rejected and here i am with an unconditional im about to reject, i guess thats the hardest part? Im probs gonna go Glasgow you?
Glad im not the only one :smile: Yeah that's exactly what im like as a lot of people in my school want to go to Edinburgh but they got rejected and here i am with an unconditional im about to reject, i guess thats the hardest part? Im probs gonna go Glasgow you?

Yeah that was the same with people in my school, but tbh we're the smarter ones thinking beyond just its reputation. Yup :biggrin: went to the Edinburgh open day on wednesday and wasn't keen so I'm going to firm Glasgow. Actually can't wait! What course are you doing, out of interest? I'm doing History :smile:
Graduate prospects are overrated.

They're going to change in the next 4 years anyway and I honestly think variations are more to do with the candidates themselves than the institution(do you think an employer automatically discounts a Glasgow economics graduate just because a similar graduate from Edinburgh applied? No. He would look into their personalities).

Moral of the story ignore employability levels and go to wherever you see yourself.
Reply 25
Hi guys :smile: Just wondering what you all think, would I be silly to decline Edinburgh University and accept Glasgow University instead?

Undoubtedly both are great unis, so it really depends on what you feel, which course appeals more, and which city do you prefer.

Personally speaking, I'm not from the UK, but I visited both Gla and Edin, and I like Edinburgh much much more, the city is great and I'm content with the university. In addition, Edinburgh offers a scholarship for certain countries from the EU, while Glasgow not really. As a result, I did not even apply to Glasgow.

Apart from my personal experiences, it's really up to you - if you can imagine yourself in Glasgow as being happy there, then it's out of the question, which one to choose :smile:
Original post by GingerGoat
Is your name "Alaska". If so you may be the second strangest named person I know! If it is your name, can I ask: why? :smile:

Alaska sounds a bet like some cockney saying 'I will ask her'
Reply 27
Yeah that was the same with people in my school, but tbh we're the smarter ones thinking beyond just its reputation. Yup :biggrin: went to the Edinburgh open day on wednesday and wasn't keen so I'm going to firm Glasgow. Actually can't wait! What course are you doing, out of interest? I'm doing History :smile:

lol hopefully we're the smarter ones! Yeah in Ed i didnt feel a connection if that makes sense but at Glasgow i was like 'this is the one' :biggrin: Im doing Accountancy and Finance :smile: Btw are you a scottish student? If you are what did you get in your highers? See you there :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by star9005
Undoubtedly both are great unis, so it really depends on what you feel, which course appeals more, and which city do you prefer.

Personally speaking, I'm not from the UK, but I visited both Gla and Edin, and I like Edinburgh much much more, the city is great and I'm content with the university. In addition, Edinburgh offers a scholarship for certain countries from the EU, while Glasgow not really. As a result, I did not even apply to Glasgow.

Apart from my personal experiences, it's really up to you - if you can imagine yourself in Glasgow as being happy there, then it's out of the question, which one to choose :smile:

Hello :smile: Thanks, I'll use your advice! A lot of EU and internationals like Edinburgh more than Glasgow so Im just wondering what about Edinburgh you like as most EU and internationals choose Ed over Gla? Also what didnt you like about Gla? Thanks :smile:
Reply 29
Hello :smile: Thanks, I'll use your advice! A lot of EU and internationals like Edinburgh more than Glasgow so Im just wondering what about Edinburgh you like as most EU and internationals choose Ed over Gla? Also what didnt you like about Gla? Thanks :smile:

Well, I'll be honest, because there's no point in embellishing my personal opinion - I shouldn't even reply then :smile:

So, I'm from a city with around 300,000 inhabitants, and I lived 3 years in Budapest, though it was enough for a while. Edinburgh is around 400,000+, while Glasgow 500,000+. It wouldn't make a huge difference, but the structure of Glasgow reminds me relentlessly of a big city, with the highway crossing the centre, and there's a significant architectural mixture in the city. That's why I like the West End the most, because it's the most homogeneous.

Edinburgh has its modern "monsters" as well. Not all are monsters, but somehow they fit in their environment better than those in Glasgow. Of course many depends on your taste and style. I know I'm a bit living in the past :P
Oh, and those 20 floor concrete blocks in Glasgow remind me definitely of the ex-communism of Eastern Europe. I can't imagine how could such buildings "grow" in Scotland, where communism never thrived.

The central building of Glasgow Uni is really amazing, but it wasn't enough for me to choose that uni. The atmosphere of Glasgow is somehow weird, though this is an impression felt by myself :smile:

All in all, I fell in love with Edinburgh once I visited it, there are many beautiful sights, green areas, a great castle and the size of the city is on a "human" scale.

I'm not sure whether I could help you with this post or not, but I hope that it helps you understand the point of a person who chose Edinburgh not only for the uni and financial aid but the city itself :smile:

N.B. I don't want to say Edinburgh is better than Glasgow. This was a subjective point of view, I just wanted to say why Edinburgh is better for me. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
lol hopefully we're the smarter ones! Yeah in Ed i didnt feel a connection if that makes sense but at Glasgow i was like 'this is the one' :biggrin: Im doing Accountancy and Finance :smile: Btw are you a scottish student? If you are what did you get in your highers? See you there :biggrin:

Yeah I do know what you mean, that's how I felt. The weather at the Glasgow Open Day probably helped too though haha. Yeah I'm a Scottish student, from way up north :biggrin:. I got 5 A's (English, History, Philosophy, Geography, Biology) so I was well chuffed with myself :biggrin:. yourself? :smile:
Reply 31
Yeah I do know what you mean, that's how I felt. The weather at the Glasgow Open Day probably helped too though haha. Yeah I'm a Scottish student, from way up north :biggrin:. I got 5 A's (English, History, Philosophy, Geography, Biology) so I was well chuffed with myself :biggrin:. yourself? :smile:

At glasgow i think its good they have club 21 whereas in Ed they dont have like a main group for internships and yeah the weather was really nice made me feel like happier lol :smile: Is ed or gla closer to you then and how long does it take in the car to get to both? Wow! Well done! That's really good! An A at english wow respect lol :biggrin: Our english teacher spoke about everything but the course and only one person got an A in our class, yep our school is crap :smile: I got AAABB (A in maths, biology and business management and B in english and chemistry) which is ok but im just glad i didnt get any C's or fails tbh! So what you taking this year? And my first friend request lol :biggrin:
At glasgow i think its good they have club 21 whereas in Ed they dont have like a main group for internships and yeah the weather was really nice made me feel like happier lol :smile: Is ed or gla closer to you then and how long does it take in the car to get to both? Wow! Well done! That's really good! An A at english wow respect lol :biggrin: Our english teacher spoke about everything but the course and only one person got an A in our class, yep our school is crap :smile: I got AAABB (A in maths, biology and business management and B in english and chemistry) which is ok but im just glad i didnt get any C's or fails tbh! So what you taking this year? And my first friend request lol :biggrin:

Yeah club 21 will improve your job prospects a fair bit, although I'm doing History so I'm pretty much doomed on the job front hahaha. I think Edinburgh is probs a bit closer, I live in Inverurie which is a bit north of Aberdeen :smile:. Your grades are really good too! An A at Maths is just crazy :biggrin: , I got a 3 at the SG! Yeah English was a weird one, I never really got what was going on. I think I was one of two in the year to get an A lol. I'm doing History at Advanced Higher and H Modern Studies and Business Management. wbu? I now have a total of two friends on tsr now. well popular :biggrin:
Reply 33
Yeah club 21 will improve your job prospects a fair bit, although I'm doing History so I'm pretty much doomed on the job front hahaha. I think Edinburgh is probs a bit closer, I live in Inverurie which is a bit north of Aberdeen :smile:. Your grades are really good too! An A at Maths is just crazy :biggrin: , I got a 3 at the SG! Yeah English was a weird one, I never really got what was going on. I think I was one of two in the year to get an A lol. I'm doing History at Advanced Higher and H Modern Studies and Business Management. wbu? I now have a total of two friends on tsr now. well popular :biggrin:

Lol :smile: You're smart for wanting to study something you like rather than something someone else told you too though hah. Do you go to Ed a lot? What do you think of edinburgh as a city? I dont know if i've actually asked you that before :tongue: Are you public school? Guess you're better at words then :biggrin: I was glad i even passed as i think in our year more people resat english than maths so was like so glad! Bus mgmt is probs the easiest out of my 5 highers that i did so you'll deffo get an A in it and im doing Advanced maths and biology and crashing higher admin. At first I took higher history (as i done it in SG) then i thought cant be bothered doing more essays so crashed admin which was a bad move because i didnt know there was a practical part in the final exam on the computer and i couldnt work a computer to save myself and my friends both crashed higher history got A's in their prelims and i was like damn shouldve taken history! Do you know anyone else going to Glasgow? Yeah more popular than me lol :smile:
Reply 34
No, it's not stupid- I declined UCL and went for Nottingham. People told me I was doing the wrong thing, but I knew I'd be happier at Nottingham. At the end of the day, it really depends on how much the prestige and reputation really matters to you.
Lol :smile: You're smart for wanting to study something you like rather than something someone else told you too though hah. Do you go to Ed a lot? What do you think of edinburgh as a city? I dont know if i've actually asked you that before :tongue: Are you public school? Guess you're better at words then :biggrin: I was glad i even passed as i think in our year more people resat english than maths so was like so glad! Bus mgmt is probs the easiest out of my 5 highers that i did so you'll deffo get an A in it and im doing Advanced maths and biology and crashing higher admin. At first I took higher history (as i done it in SG) then i thought cant be bothered doing more essays so crashed admin which was a bad move because i didnt know there was a practical part in the final exam on the computer and i couldnt work a computer to save myself and my friends both crashed higher history got A's in their prelims and i was like damn shouldve taken history! Do you know anyone else going to Glasgow? Yeah more popular than me lol :smile:

I hope so :tongue: . I went there for a concert last month and for the open day, so yeah, twice :biggrin: . I though it seemed pretty nice, yourself? And no I don't think you asked me that :tongue: . I go to a state school, I think thats the same thing? Probably would have been the only one going to Edinburgh that did haha. What about you are you public or private? I know, I am actually useless with numbers lol :colondollar:. But Advanced Higher Maths, are you crazy? :eek: You should have done History, it is amazing! I did Admin at SG it seriously puts me to sleep haha. I really hope I get an A, I got one at the prelim :smile: . I'm not sure actually one of my friends got an offer but I dont know if they're taking it up. It's going to be sooo scary starting from scratch. Do you know anyone? Are you going to be staying in halls? If so which one? :smile:
Reply 36
I hope so :tongue: . I went there for a concert last month and for the open day, so yeah, twice :biggrin: . I though it seemed pretty nice, yourself? And no I don't think you asked me that :tongue: . I go to a state school, I think thats the same thing? Probably would have been the only one going to Edinburgh that did haha. What about you are you public or private? I know, I am actually useless with numbers lol :colondollar:. But Advanced Higher Maths, are you crazy? :eek: You should have done History, it is amazing! I did Admin at SG it seriously puts me to sleep haha. I really hope I get an A, I got one at the prelim :smile: . I'm not sure actually one of my friends got an offer but I dont know if they're taking it up. It's going to be sooo scary starting from scratch. Do you know anyone? Are you going to be staying in halls? If so which one? :smile:

Well i went twice too, once with a friend and they other with my parents but tbh i didnt see much of the city as we were kind off in a hurry and just went home lol as i had school the next day but from what i saw it looked ok :smile: Yeah i meant state and lol :tongue: some people in my school going to Ed (excluding my friend cos she's actually nice) are like quite stuck up and arrogant so im like nah dont wanna go to uni with you :biggrin: Basically they both got most arrogant in our yearbook (for boy and girl) so... And im private so you just totally offended me nah joke same im state/public :P Im useless at words lol cant really speak what i actually mean to say and it takes me ages (i actually have to think) of comebacks :biggrin: Lol i did best in my highers (band 1's) at business management and maths so thats why i want to study accounting and finance as it's kind off both subjects together :smile: History is a lot of words! I know! I got a 1 in SG and i actually did not get bored at all listening to our history teacher talk about history, in fact it was one of my favourite classes! Guess i got put off by higher english essays :smile: Yup quite boring but ive done alot of the theory in business management so was hoping for an easy subject but the practical aww geez! So what were your prelim results? I think this boy in my year firmed glasgow but i dont really speak to him as we werent in any classes together. Yeah Im staying in halls (so exciting!) and im thinking murano or cairncross and maybe queen margaret but dont know yet, what about you? :biggrin:

Probably, as Ed is a better uni (league table wise). But if depends what your reasons are fro wanting to go to Glasgow...
Well i went twice too, once with a friend and they other with my parents but tbh i didnt see much of the city as we were kind off in a hurry and just went home lol as i had school the next day but from what i saw it looked ok :smile: Yeah i meant state and lol :tongue: some people in my school going to Ed (excluding my friend cos she's actually nice) are like quite stuck up and arrogant so im like nah dont wanna go to uni with you :biggrin: Basically they both got most arrogant in our yearbook (for boy and girl) so... And im private so you just totally offended me nah joke same im state/public :P Im useless at words lol cant really speak what i actually mean to say and it takes me ages (i actually have to think) of comebacks :biggrin: Lol i did best in my highers (band 1's) at business management and maths so thats why i want to study accounting and finance as it's kind off both subjects together :smile: History is a lot of words! I know! I got a 1 in SG and i actually did not get bored at all listening to our history teacher talk about history, in fact it was one of my favourite classes! Guess i got put off by higher english essays :smile: Yup quite boring but ive done alot of the theory in business management so was hoping for an easy subject but the practical aww geez! So what were your prelim results? I think this boy in my year firmed glasgow but i dont really speak to him as we werent in any classes together. Yeah Im staying in halls (so exciting!) and im thinking murano or cairncross and maybe queen margaret but dont know yet, what about you? :biggrin:

Ed seemed pretty stuck up general, but yeah its going to be amazing to leave those sort of people behind :biggrin: . It was only me and my friend that got into Edinburgh in my school, that's how bad it is lol :tongue: . Makes sense then to do the subjects your best at :smile: my only band 1 was English haha. Aww I'm amazing at comebacks, quick witted me! :cool: The History essays aren't as bad because its factual and there's only a few that come up every year :smile: . Yeah IF statements and that, it's all coming back :eek: good luck with it though! I got 3 A's at my prelims :biggrin: History was on the mark so I was really lucky! What about you? Yeah there's a girl in my year firmed Glasgow too I think but we're not in the same crowd. I'm applying for one of the five people flats at Murano because I saw them at the open day and really liked it :biggrin: . So might see you there! :biggrin: I'm really excited for it too :biggrin: . Moving away and leaving everyone is going to be so weird though! :confused: Do you live anywhere near Glasgow?
Reply 39
Ed seemed pretty stuck up general, but yeah its going to be amazing to leave those sort of people behind :biggrin: . It was only me and my friend that got into Edinburgh in my school, that's how bad it is lol :tongue: . Makes sense then to do the subjects your best at :smile: my only band 1 was English haha. Aww I'm amazing at comebacks, quick witted me! :cool: The History essays aren't as bad because its factual and there's only a few that come up every year :smile: . Yeah IF statements and that, it's all coming back :eek: good luck with it though! I got 3 A's at my prelims :biggrin: History was on the mark so I was really lucky! What about you? Yeah there's a girl in my year firmed Glasgow too I think but we're not in the same crowd. I'm applying for one of the five people flats at Murano because I saw them at the open day and really liked it :biggrin: . So might see you there! :biggrin: I'm really excited for it too :biggrin: . Moving away and leaving everyone is going to be so weird though! :confused: Do you live anywhere near Glasgow?

When i asked for directions in Ed (it was an old couple) they were really nice actually but i talked to a student at ed uni and she was like "what?!" so i was like erm... :smile: Really lol! i think we got like 4 or 5 and one or two got conditionals and omg a band 1 in english! Are you kidding me? Wow!! 100% respect :P lucky you! Im so stupid! I entered the class late as i originally took higher history so missed if statements and someone asked me what they were and im like what even is that :biggrin: Wow 3 A's, you are like a genius! Erm i got a B for maths and admin and a C for biology but for biology he said (because alot of people didnt get what he expected) we have to do another prelim after the holidays yay :biggrin: Murano is my first choice and i really liked it at the post offer day but im gonna need to rack up my cooking skills :smile: but in the winter im gonna have to get up early and catch that 25 seater shuttle bus :tongue: The town i live in is utter crap as there literally is nothing to do that's why the government put people with ASBOs and behaviour/ drink problems in our town, to "ease" the pressure of big cities so yeah im am SO glad to be getting out! But yeah it is and im still excited lol! Erm i live about 2 hours away from glasgow and 3 away from Ed, we're on the west coast :biggrin: I hear in aberdeen it's cold and wet most of the time, is this true? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending