The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by magenta1
When i asked for directions in Ed (it was an old couple) they were really nice actually but i talked to a student at ed uni and she was like "what?!" so i was like erm... :smile: Really lol! i think we got like 4 or 5 and one or two got conditionals and omg a band 1 in english! Are you kidding me? Wow!! 100% respect :P lucky you! Im so stupid! I entered the class late as i originally took higher history so missed if statements and someone asked me what they were and im like what even is that :biggrin: Wow 3 A's, you are like a genius! Erm i got a B for maths and admin and a C for biology but for biology he said (because alot of people didnt get what he expected) we have to do another prelim after the holidays yay :biggrin: Murano is my first choice and i really liked it at the post offer day but im gonna need to rack up my cooking skills :smile: but in the winter im gonna have to get up early and catch that 25 seater shuttle bus :tongue: The town i live in is utter crap as there literally is nothing to do that's why the government put people with ASBOs and behaviour/ drink problems in our town, to "ease" the pressure of big cities so yeah im am SO glad to be getting out! But yeah it is and im still excited lol! Erm i live about 2 hours away from glasgow and 3 away from Ed, we're on the west coast :biggrin: I hear in aberdeen it's cold and wet most of the time, is this true? :biggrin:

We ate in a restaurant next to the university and they forgot our food so it wasn't good first impression lol. :tongue: . An A1 at maths just sounds absolutely crazy to me, so 100% respect there on my part! :biggrin: . I'm really not a genius haha, but thanks anyway :tongue: . Omg Biology :eek: it was ridiculous last year! I spent so much time stressing about it! Murano looked ace :smile: . I know! I can't cook at all, .... or iron, or use a washing machine.....I'm going to be totally screwed next year :s-smilie: . I'll be living off super noodles and toast :biggrin: . Your town sounds amazing haha. :tongue: ... I don't actually know anyone on an ASBO, I've obviously lived a sheltered life :colondollar:. But yeah I live in the sticks to where there's nothing to do so it's going to be ace in Glasgow with everything on your doorstep. Yeah it's freezing in Aberdeen, there's always a cold wind, and the city stinks of fish :L.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
Original post by daviddd!1994
We ate in a restaurant next to the university and they forgot our food so it wasn't good first impression lol. :tongue: . An A1 at maths just sounds absolutely crazy to me, so 100% respect there on my part! :biggrin: . I'm really not a genius haha, but thanks anyway :tongue: . Omg Biology :eek: it was ridiculous last year! I spent so much time stressing about it! Murano looked ace :smile: . I know! I can't cook at all, .... or iron, or use a washing machine.....I'm going to be totally screwed next year :s-smilie: . I'll be living off super noodles and toast :biggrin: . Your town sounds amazing haha. :tongue: ... I don't actually know anyone on an ASBO, I've obviously lived a sheltered life :colondollar:. But yeah I live in the sticks to where there's nothing to do so it's going to be ace in Glasgow with everything on your doorstep. Yeah it's freezing in Aberdeen, there's always a cold wind, and the city stinks of fish :L.

The number of smilies in this is jawdropping. Absolutely jawdropping. You have made me feel old. SHAME ON YOU.
Original post by Norton1
The number of smilies in this is jawdropping. Absolutely jawdropping. You have made me feel old. SHAME ON YOU.

I miss the old msn days. It was a bit of nostalgia. :tongue: :biggrin: :wink: - just for you
Reply 43
Original post by studentbeanz
Probably, as Ed is a better uni (league table wise). But if depends what your reasons are fro wanting to go to Glasgow...

What would you suggest if i wanted to go to ed uni but wanted to live in glasgow after? :smile:
Reply 44

Lol what happened? did you remind them or something? :P think i like maths more cos you can get like a proper answer whereas in english i thought many teachers can mark your work and have different opinions (in essays) so im not as good at english :frown: did you crash biology? i thought biology was ok but i spent most of my time revising english and chemistry! hope i get into murano :biggrin: Same lol i'll be trying to learn in the summer! beans on toast for me :biggrin: lol there is like nothing to do! wb your town is it nice? lol stinks of fish oh yeah its near the sea right? did you apply to aberdeen then? where else did you apply and what were the offers (like unconditional)? :P
My cousin got an offer from Oxford, but decided to go to Manchester instead because she loved the nightlife and feel of it all! She had an amazing time there, did a Masters and is now completing her Doctorate! :smile: So I agree with everyone else that you should choose the university you feel the most comfortable at, even if it isn't the 'highest ranked' among your choices according to some league tables, and I doubt that it will stop you from doing what you want to in the future (Edinburgh and Glasgow are both fantastic universities - well done on your offers)! :yep:
Reply 46
I have been offered several places for MSc in Statistics. Specifically Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Lancaster, Sheffield, Leeds, Essex.

However I am considering choosing Warwick because they have already offered me a Bursary Scholarship that only two people receive every year and it covers tuition fees as well as additional costs. UCL covers me only tuition fees (EPSRC Masters Studentship but since I am not UK citizen it cannot provide me additional money). I can afford the rest of the unis as well but I consider it being a waste of money to attend another uni and pay an additional 8k GBP or more just for a firm, anyways Warwick's courses (alongside Imperial) are the ones more to my taste and I don't like London that much so that's why I think I am going to choose Warwick over Oxbridge and other unis.

To OP: This is my situation, maybe there are reasons for you too in doing that.
Lol what happened? did you remind them or something? :P think i like maths more cos you can get like a proper answer whereas in english i thought many teachers can mark your work and have different opinions (in essays) so im not as good at english :frown: did you crash biology? i thought biology was ok but i spent most of my time revising english and chemistry! hope i get into murano :biggrin: Same lol i'll be trying to learn in the summer! beans on toast for me :biggrin: lol there is like nothing to do! wb your town is it nice? lol stinks of fish oh yeah its near the sea right? did you apply to aberdeen then? where else did you apply and what were the offers (like unconditional)? :P

It ended up that there was only 5 mins until the next talk so we had to walk out :mad: . Yeah I get what you mean, english is pretty subjective. I don't know why I didn't get maths, I just could never do it. I just found it really boring and got easily distracted. I did Biology at Standard Grade but it was the only science I had done and I'm just generally not good at using the Maths/Science side of my brain haha :tongue: . It's alright. There's nothing much to do in Inverurie, but you can catch the train to Aberdeen and there's plenty to do there :smile:. Plus we've got a tesco's, a morrisons, and a marks and spencer's! Yeah it's on the coast and has a massive harbour. Yeah I applied to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and St. Andrews and got unconditionals to them all :biggrin: . Aberdeen and Glasgow were my fav's and I might have gone to Aberdeen but I wanted to move away. Where did you apply to? :smile:
Original post by Spairos
I have been offered several places for MSc in Statistics. Specifically Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Lancaster, Sheffield, Leeds, Essex.

However I am considering choosing Warwick because they have already offered me a Bursary Scholarship that only two people receive every year and it covers tuition fees as well as additional costs. UCL covers me only tuition fees (EPSRC Masters Studentship but since I am not UK citizen it cannot provide me additional money). I can afford the rest of the unis as well but I consider it being a waste of money to attend another uni and pay an additional 8k GBP or more just for a firm, anyways Warwick's courses (alongside Imperial) are the ones more to my taste and I don't like London that much so that's why I think I am going to choose Warwick over Oxbridge and other unis.

To OP: This is my situation, maybe there are reasons for you too in doing that.

How did you manage to apply for eleven different places? I was given a maximum of five.
How did you manage to apply for eleven different places? I was given a maximum of five.

Did you apply to do a masters? :rolleyes:

OP: Go wherever your heart tells you to go. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's so very important that you go somewhere that makes you happy - not just somewhere that looks good on paper.
Original post by Ohlavelle

OP: Go wherever your heart tells you to go. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's so very important that you go somewhere that makes you happy - not just somewhere that looks good on paper.

Ah, makes sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Ah, makes sense.

Yes, I applied for masters
Reply 52
It ended up that there was only 5 mins until the next talk so we had to walk out :mad: . Yeah I get what you mean, english is pretty subjective. I don't know why I didn't get maths, I just could never do it. I just found it really boring and got easily distracted. I did Biology at Standard Grade but it was the only science I had done and I'm just generally not good at using the Maths/Science side of my brain haha :tongue: . It's alright. There's nothing much to do in Inverurie, but you can catch the train to Aberdeen and there's plenty to do there :smile:. Plus we've got a tesco's, a morrisons, and a marks and spencer's! Yeah it's on the coast and has a massive harbour. Yeah I applied to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and St. Andrews and got unconditionals to them all :biggrin: . Aberdeen and Glasgow were my fav's and I might have gone to Aberdeen but I wanted to move away. Where did you apply to? :smile:

ooh mustve been well annoyed! did you get your money back then? lol :biggrin: haha we only have a tesco and co op :biggrin: then it takes over 2 hours on the train to get to glasgow! You only applied to 4? What did you think of st andrews btw? That's really good btw! how close are you from aberdeen on train? I got unconditionals to glasgow (twice), strathclyde and edinburgh but applied to edinburgh twice and got conditional for my second choice at an A at higher but that was my second choice so didnt really matter :P Btw just wondering have you seen the library at glasgow? what do you think of it? :biggrin:
Reply 53
Glasgow is a much better city and the university is excellent.
ooh mustve been well annoyed! did you get your money back then? lol :biggrin: haha we only have a tesco and co op :biggrin: then it takes over 2 hours on the train to get to glasgow! You only applied to 4? What did you think of st andrews btw? That's really good btw! how close are you from aberdeen on train? I got unconditionals to glasgow (twice), strathclyde and edinburgh but applied to edinburgh twice and got conditional for my second choice at an A at higher but that was my second choice so didnt really matter :P Btw just wondering have you seen the library at glasgow? what do you think of it? :biggrin:

We didn't pay so there was no money to get back :tongue: . The university was nice enough but the town just felt too small. I didn't really want to go there, it was just to prove to myself I could get in really. I think its only something like 20 mins from Aberdeen on train so on the weekends it's easy to go shopping etc . No I didn't get time to see it :frown: did you?
Reply 55
We didn't pay so there was no money to get back :tongue: . The university was nice enough but the town just felt too small. I didn't really want to go there, it was just to prove to myself I could get in really. I think its only something like 20 mins from Aberdeen on train so on the weekends it's easy to go shopping etc . No I didn't get time to see it :frown: did you?

haha and oh lol :biggrin: aah thats really close! I saw it and it's really big but the stairs going up were a bit tatty but it was nice inside. Geez i need to actually firm a uni soon! :tongue:
Must say, I am at Edinburgh uni and love it! It is true, there are many students from private schools which initially was quite intimidating, but at the end if you do well it's a real confidence boost. I went to a state school and still get better grades than most private school students. Pretentious? I guess one could call it that, personally I love the tweed, culture and foody spots. If I think about it, the only thing I loath about Edinburgh is the wind!

Glasgow uni itself is beautiful but I didn't like the feel in the city. It has some pretty bits and a cool music scene, but I would only really go there for shopping. I would pick Edinburgh over Glasgow because I before the city. Both unis have great reputations, Edinburgh is more prestigious but don't judge only on rankings and reputation. Pick the city and course you like best. Ask your questions to relevant staff now, it would be a good idea to compare course content, reading lists etc and see which suits you the most.
Reply 57
Original post by buddhacoffee
My cousin got an offer from Oxford, but decided to go to Manchester instead because she loved the nightlife and feel of it all! She had an amazing time there, did a Masters and is now completing her Doctorate! :smile: So I agree with everyone else that you should choose the university you feel the most comfortable at, even if it isn't the 'highest ranked' among your choices according to some league tables, and I doubt that it will stop you from doing what you want to in the future (Edinburgh and Glasgow are both fantastic universities - well done on your offers)! :yep:

Original post by Ohlavelle

Basically my heart tells me to go to glasgow and my head tells me edinburgh lol! Thanks though, your advice did help :biggrin: Basically, the only reason i would choose Ed is because you get given lecture notes in ed whereas in gla you print them off yourself or download them but when i did higher biology in S5 our teacher went through powerpoints and we had to write stuff down but she wouldnt slow down for us so im like furiously scribbling down and then I missed everything she said and had uncomplete notes so for higher biology basically i had to learn everything from a book and past papers and i hated it cos whenever i had biology im like "time to learn" as we actually learnt nothing and i hope for my degree its not like that and i dont want to print all my notes off either as im not taking out a student loan and i would rather be given them and since im going to uni might as well go to a better one but other than this major concern i would go glasgow, also for my course Accounting and Finance, theres computer based stuff in it which im not too keen on as i cannot work a computer BUT i dont mind and will do it as its in the course but in Gla you do computer based stuff in the first 3 years whereas in ed its just one year (2nd) so help??

Original post by lizfairy
Must say, I am at Edinburgh uni and love it! It is true, there are many students from private schools which initially was quite intimidating, but at the end if you do well it's a real confidence boost. I went to a state school and still get better grades than most private school students. Pretentious? I guess one could call it that, personally I love the tweed, culture and foody spots. If I think about it, the only thing I loath about Edinburgh is the wind!

Glasgow uni itself is beautiful but I didn't like the feel in the city. It has some pretty bits and a cool music scene, but I would only really go there for shopping. I would pick Edinburgh over Glasgow because I before the city. Both unis have great reputations, Edinburgh is more prestigious but don't judge only on rankings and reputation. Pick the city and course you like best. Ask your questions to relevant staff now, it would be a good idea to compare course content, reading lists etc and see which suits you the most.

Thanks, good advice! I sure will! What do you think of the people there? Is it easy to make friends? What do you think of their teaching? Also, are there a lot of internships on offer like lots of posters and advertising on internships? :biggrin:
haha and oh lol :biggrin: aah thats really close! I saw it and it's really big but the stairs going up were a bit tatty but it was nice inside. Geez i need to actually firm a uni soon! :tongue:

Firm Glasgow!!!!!
Reply 59
Before to go to Glasgow Uni it is better to ask students who studied at the Glasgow Uni. They will tell you true opinion.

Business School at Glasgow University is the worst business school in Europe. 99% Chineese students, and Business School accepts everybody who wants to study here. That's why deadline for international students is the end of July, for UK/Europe students is the end of August. Therefore, very weak groups and very weak professors who are really lazy and don't want to make a normal lecture notes. One my professors even coudn't copy material from the book and made a lot of mistakes...One professors almost doesn't speak english, I don't know how the uni offered him job((( nobody understands his english and he even made mistakes in exam paper.

So my opinion, don't believe in all these rankings and other things - Just ask other stutdents about their experience before going to any uni. :-) I hope it helps

Latest

Trending

Trending