The Student Room Group

For UNI students ONLY...How often do your parents call you?

Scroll to see replies

When I was at uni, I spoke to my dad about once per term.
My mom sometimes calls 2 times a day :/ it's very claustrophobic
When I'm spending holidays at home my mum knows where I'm at all the time. I call when I'm staying with my bf or my friends at least once a day.
When I'm in uni i get the odd text every few weeks-months. International calls are expensive so I only expect those on my bday and some major holidays.

My dad calls me at most random times. Like when they go on holidays, he calls me from the beach/airport/fancy restaurant to tell me how they are enjoying the sun, fine wines and wish I was with them :wink: Bums me out a bit since I haven't been on a proper holiday in years.

My brother calls me on skype from clubs, ski lifts, lectures, petrol stations.. To share the experience I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lyrical_lie
As do I.

Hates living at home :cry2:

Good thing it means I get my own personal cook. :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 24
I call them when I want them to proof read my essays/dissertation... Other than that, I just challenge my mum to bejewelled blitz on facebook - so she knows I'm thinking of her.
Reply 25
They never call me, because my mum believes that if someone wants to talk to her, they need to make the effort, so I call home 2-3 times a week, if any less she'll have a go at me, despite the fact she doesn't call me. :rolleyes:
Um, call them about once or twice a term, normally about how/when I'm coming back for holidays for other things that are easier over the phone rather than text.

Although my mum does text me like every other day, but I do ignore most of them :p:
Reply 27
Skype once a week and that's it
Reply 28
I'm very rarely called. I'll get a text or email every couple of weeks or so though.
once or twice a week :smile: only ever more if any of us have gossip or we're trying to organise something :smile:
Couple of times a week usually. More if i want to have a moan about something.
Everyday or every other day ..
Reply 32
Every day, sometimes more than once. My mum works from home and she gets really bored during the day so we chat whilst i'm walking back from lectures. I think being an only child also has something to do with why we talk so much as my mum has no other kids to distract herself with lol
Reply 33
I assume they call you every single day.

No, I wouldn't say it's bad. If you're busy with work or have things to do or simply don't want to talk, I'd say it's perfectly acceptable to ignore their call, especially if you spoke to them yesterday. Obviously you should answer it if they repeatedly ring, as there might be some sort of problem/emergency, but aside from that, no I wouldn't say it's bad.

Maybe suggest a different method of communication to them, such as e-mail or texting? So you can contact them at times that better suit you.
I'm quite concerned with why they feel the need to call you everyday! Do they have just reasons?

I guess it depends on why they're calling you, but mostly it's okay. You could just say something on the lines of 'if we need to talk I'll Skype you'. Are they just overly concerned about your well being?
My mum calls me every other day which gets a bit irritating, especially as a typical conversation normally involves her asking if I'm going out that evening and if so she says 'oh good' in a very patronising voice and then asks with who (even though she hasn't met my uni friends) or if I say I'm not going out then she asks why not in a patronising manner, like I must be a loner if I don't go out all the time. Anyone else's Mum or Dad do this or is it just my Mum?

My dad I email or text every so often. Thankfully he just asks how I am and no annoying questions.
My parents have given up on phoning me- apparently I'm always in the middle of doing something, about to do something or don't have my phone on me. So now I ring them about once a fortnight.
Reply 38
When I was at uni my dad usually phoned me a few times a week, sometimes only a couple of times a fortnight... I didn't hate it per se but I hate talking on the phone when there's nothing really to talk about! I usually just phoned him when I had something to say/ask.
Reply 39
parents who call you all the time are the worst thing when you have no friends. Your phone rings and you think " ooh it's my new buddy from maths class that I gave my number to last week" but nope it's your mum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending