The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A.galloway
When you get in the car just take a couple of deep breaths and don't think of it as a test, just think about it as another lesson, my instructor also told me that should you make a mistake don't get all flustered about it as it will lead to others, just accept it and keep going.

Definitely agree. I thought I had mucked mine up about 15 minutes in but tried to forget about it. It turned out to be a minor fault, not a major one. :smile:
Mistakes have a habit of snowballing. If you think about them afterwards, you can end up missing things that are happening in the present/being distracted and then making a bigger mistake. :redface:
Reply 21
Original post by amyamy
I drive perfectly fine when I'm not in a test situation and my driving instructor is despondent that I keep failing because I don't have any problems when i'm driving him around haha!
Just a thought here.. could it be that your instructor just isn't picking up any habitual faults or just doesn't recognise or remedy any serious ones that only the examiner points out?

Confidence comes from knowledge. Those who are out of their depth or leave it all to luck are bound to be nervous as they feel they have no control over the test outcome.
Reply 22
My parents told me to just take the test one step at a time. When you know you have to do all these maneuvers it just overwhelms you. If you could try focusing on just each maneuver at hand it's less stressful. Also, if you can remain outwardly calm when you make a small mistake it's a lot better than getting upset and flustered which can lead to more problems. Lastly, the knowledge that it's not the end of the world if you fail...and that lots of people fail a few times might help a little bit.
If you drive fine with your instructor then it's not your skills; just a case of needing to put mind over matter :smile: You can do it!
Reply 23
Original post by amyamy
I'm not really bothered whether its scientifically proven to work or not i'd take the placebo effect if it gets me through and it definitely did have a calming effect on me, just not a big enough one haha!

Is it still Placebo if you know it doesn't work now lol? Just put your foot down and drive, stop making excuses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by amyamy
I've failed my driving test 3 times now, and it is pretty much all to do with nerves :\

My faults are never the same its just whatever I happen to balls up on the day haha!

The nerves have just gotten worse with each consecutive test, I had a lot of rescue remedy before the 3rd one but still managed to fail as I was leaving the test centre haha!

The rescue remedy definitely worked because I used it before a lesson and was soooo calm, but it obviously just wasn't enough to touch the nerves of the test!

I even paid for a hypnotherapy download haha but that doesn't seem to work either, I spend my time sitting through it thinking wow this is silly and a waste of 20 minutes...

Anyone got any other ideas or things they used to help with really bad nerves? I'm not generally a nervous person at all which is what makes it even more annoying!

Visualize what you're going to do before you do it :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by wtfCharlie
Visualize what you're going to do before you do it :smile:

The problem with this advice is that you have to be in the right frame of mind, i.e not Nervous and focussed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lamps08
The problem with this advice is that you have to be in the right frame of mind, i.e not Nervous and focussed.

Nope, I'm a really anxious person, and I visualize stuff. It's just a quick thinking-through, not a fix-all, but it does help your brain be ready.
Reply 27
Nope, I'm a really anxious person, and I visualize stuff. It's just a quick thinking-through, not a fix-all, but it does help your brain be ready.

But surely you have to believe that it can happen. To me visualization is just enhancing that belief even further, and making you even more relaxed and focussed; I only visualize when I'm in that mind-state. (I think alcohol is the best solution in this case)
Original post by Lamps08
But surely you have to believe that it can happen. To me visualization is just enhancing that belief even further, and making you even more relaxed and focussed; I only visualize when I'm in that mind-state. (I think alcohol is the best solution in this case)

True, but I think if you're just mindlessly panicking like I do, making a note of each thing you're going to do helps :P
Reply 29
Original post by Advisor
Just a thought here.. could it be that your instructor just isn't picking up any habitual faults or just doesn't recognise or remedy any serious ones that only the examiner points out?

Confidence comes from knowledge. Those who are out of their depth or leave it all to luck are bound to be nervous as they feel they have no control over the test outcome.

Nope pretty sure its not that, every time i've failed none of my faults have a pattern to them haha not even the minors, it is literally just whatever bit i happen to do something silly on due to the nerves!
Reply 30
True, but I think if you're just mindlessly panicking like I do, making a note of each thing you're going to do helps :P

Hmm i know what you mean, unfortunately i'm not much of an imaginer/visualiser i think thats why the hypnotherapy download i got isn't doing anything either because it wants you to imagine your way through the whole test and stuff and i'm just not marvellous at that haha! i'm more a do it person than a creative / visualise it one....i just can't manage to do it either :frown: haha
Reply 31
Original post by Lamps08
Is it still Placebo if you know it doesn't work now lol? Just put your foot down and drive, stop making excuses.

i didn't read the whole of that article and to be honest one person saying it doesn't work doesn't really bother me. doesn't necessarily mean they're right and if you psychologically believe it can work then of course it can still have a placebo effect on you. power of the mind and all that.

and i do put my foot down and drive thanks, i was just asking for a bit of help / ideas not making excuses.

but its fine, i've got one idea now at least : note to self, don't listen to Lamps 08. :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by amyamy
i didn't read the whole of that article and to be honest one person saying it doesn't work doesn't really bother me. doesn't necessarily mean they're right and if you psychologically believe it can work then of course it can still have a placebo effect on you. power of the mind and all that.

and i do put my foot down and drive thanks, i was just asking for a bit of help / ideas not making excuses.

but its fine, i've got one idea now at least : note to self, don't listen to Lamps 08. :tongue:

Ouch! Anyway, personally I think it's mainly down to luck on the day in all honesty; I drove no better the 3rd test when I passed- And in the tests prior to that I accumulated alot of Majors and I believe one serious (I casually snapped a wing-mirror:rolleyes:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Lamps08
Ouch! Anyway, personally I think it's mainly down to luck on the day in all honesty; I drove no better the 3rd test when I passed- And in the tests prior to that I accumulated alot of Majors and I believe one serious (I casually snapped a wing-mirror:rolleyes:)

haha snapped wing mirror? smooth :wink:
yeah i do think that the first time he was genuinely being picky and i got unlucky with him failing me, and then that just put me off for the 2nd one, where I had an examiner who is known in the town for being mean and failing people, so was super anxious, ballsed my parallel park up completely (in my defence the road she made me do it on has practically got subsidence its so wonky!) so that all went to hell lol, and then by the 3rd one i was just so darn nervy!!! failed leaving the test centre about 2 minutes into the test on that one, that's nearly as smooth as snapping a wing mirror :wink:
Reply 34
Hey everyone im new to the site, i failed my driving test again! Its the 3rd time now its getting me so down an i found this site to see if anyone can help me.. First test i failed for not looking in my back window coming out of the test centre bare in mind there was a brick wall behind me! Second test i was so nervous my whole body was shaking which caused me to stall at a junction with a car behind me and my 3rd test test today i thought i was doing really well until i went in the wrong lane instantly knew and i signalled to go in to the correct lane an i got a fail for that! Its getting me down so much i need to pass! I have so much pressure on me from family and my boyfriend! Help someonee!! 😞
Original post by Emziedee
my 3rd test test today i thought i was doing really well until i went in the wrong lane instantly knew and i signalled to go in to the correct lane an i got a fail for that!

You may have signalled but not really known if it was safe to switch lanes. The best thing to do is just stay in your lane, go the wrong way, and have the examiner get you back on track. They won't give you faults if you go the wrong way, so the worst thing you can do is try and go the right way in a dangerous manner.

Perhaps have a few more lessons to get your confidence up? Good luck :smile:
Reply 36
no offence but if you get nervous on the road when you drive alone (and trust me it can be worse in your first few weeks) you may not actually be safe on the road.
funny you should say I did exactly same thing as soon as get in car with ppl I don't no man taking test sed I was a good driver!!! but nerves take over
Nerves kick off but control able aslong as don't get asked bay park right away as I did twice and fell to bits I'm speaking to doc c if they can do n e thin I not a nervous person never av been till now :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
I'm getting confused with all the dates now.... Never mind ha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just realised this was a post from 4 years ago, hopefully it's still relevant to add my story!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
I feel like I wrote this post as the same exact same thing happened to me. I have failed for the third time today. I took rescue remedy and listened to a mediation beforehand (how weird)! And within the first 10 minutes of my test, where I was most nervous, I had failed on lane discipline on a round about ( no collision ) but it was based on ' it could have happened' which is ridiculous , although he was unsure I had realised what I had done. But due to the nerves is what I think got me. However, I had 1 minor which is so gutting because passing with 1 minor would have been amazing! So I am now so unsure how to stop the nerves bettering me.

Edit: Just realised this was a post from 4 years ago, hopefully it's still relevant to add my story!
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending