The Student Room Group

Should the 'women and children first' rule still apply when a ship is sinking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanR
Women have higher bodyfat percentages than men on average and are therefore much more likely to survive in the cold waters. :wink: Also more likely to float!

Whales?
Original post by Playa10
I can read your mind lol. General concepts cannot be based upon fallacies

You made a fallacy yourself in your first statement, but this argument is going nowhere, so yeah.
Reply 242
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Um, yes. It's called being polite. Maybe standing when a woman enters a room is a bit too formal, but what's wrong with common courtesy?

I was at a summer camp once, and we had to sit in this room where there weren't enough chairs for everyone. This boy asked a girl if she would like his seat, which she accepted graciously (we were all 17).

One of the adult female leaders saw this, and went absolutely ballistic. "WHAT DO YOU THINK THE FEMINIST MOVEMENT WAS FOR? :mad:" She was so angry that a girl would accept a nice, thoughtful gesture like that from a boy.

It has nothing to do with females being seen as weak, it's just being respectful. But according to TSR respect is an old-fashioned and sexist concept.

Well that's all absolutely fine, nothing wrong with that at all, assuming women do the same for men.
Reply 243
Original post by Dragonfly07
You made a fallacy yourself in your first statement, but this argument is going nowhere, so yeah.

Not entirely true if you looked at the purpose of the statement. But yh, no point going any further.
Reply 244
I might let the children first, but since women have always demanded the same rights as men, in this case equal to us ... In fact I do not even know how I would react to find myself in that situation perhaps I would first jumped into the rescue boat :smile:
Reply 245
I don't really know about men/women, but certainly children first, and they don't go unattended so mothers and children first.

I know this isn't for everyone, but generally children are a lot more receptive to their mothers than their fathers in the day to day running of their lives and although I look forward to being a father one day and it pains me to say this, I think generally children do need their mothers more than their fathers.

I must stress this is general and I'm aware it doesn't apply to everyone :smile:
Reply 246
Urgh.

Nowadays there are enough lifeboat seats for every person on the ship. Ideally it should be be an orderly first come first served until the lifeboat is full. (This can vary slighlty on access requirements for disabled people). Provided everyone has been through an emergency drill this shouldn't be a problem. Ships are designed now so it easy to make it to the lifeboats. They are also designed to stay afloat for as long as possible.

Lifeboats not being launched before a cruise ship rolls over too much is down to inefficient loading of the lifeboats.

People will generally only die from being trapped with no access to the lifeboats.
Original post by kka25
Exactly :colonhash:

The poster that you quoted is really a **** woman me thinks :holmes:

Darn right! :five:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
What about the Concordia that sank earlier this year? There were enough lifeboats for everyone on board, but it took so long to lower each lifeboat that only one or two were released before the ship was on its side and no more could be released.

So how do they decide who gets on the first lifeboat in case that were to happen again and not everyone could get on one? Of course it's still relevant.

in that particular case it was more that the muster being declared too late really... oh and the crew telling people to take their life jackets off and go back to their cabins.

people who died were trapped inside parts of the ship that filled with water - they weren't on deck ready to board the lifeboats.

probably the mottos that would have done some good would have been 'don't be a dick' and 'look after old and disbled people'
Original post by kka25
OMG if this would happen!! :eek:

Lol OMG indeed:biggrin: Am not a fan of being in the sea at the best of times as I do not like the idea of all the nippy poisonous things in there, especially considering you cannot see them coming:eek:

Will happily leave all the aquatic life to enjoy their environment:smile:
Reply 250
ships should have enough life boats for everyone onboard, not like the titanic, a lot has changed in 100 years
Reply 251
Original post by hannaaahlima
I'm not saying I agree with it.
There are plenty of men for women to reproduce with when they reach earth, and yes there are ways by which women can reproduce without men. Artificial insemination is one of them.

where do you think the sperm comes from? a factory?
Reply 252
Original post by suggsina

:laugh:

No, from her polished nails :teehee:
Children first.

Then everybody else.
Reply 254
Original post by SubAtomic
Lol OMG indeed:biggrin: Am not a fan of being in the sea at the best of times as I do not like the idea of all the nippy poisonous things in there, especially considering you cannot see them coming:eek:

Will happily leave all the aquatic life to enjoy their environment:smile:

I heard a gun would not work in water :eek:

We might need a bazooka to scare off those sharks :colonhash:

To the sharks; go away! my legs are not for nibbling :tongue:

To poisonous things in water; go find your own mates to poison :colonhash:

:tongue:
meh, even the idea of queuing is not very fair...so i think its preferable that women and children first, it makes sense that the mother looks after the child, although perhaps one adult plus children would be even more preferable.
Original post by Snagprophet
The only dangers are that someone will have to swim.

Exactly. And the average man will be able to stay afloat without drowning for longer than the average woman, and also have a greater resistance to cold (having a larger body with greater resources). They also might have to construct a raft out of debris, which could involve physical force like snapping something off. From a utilitarian point of view it makes perfect sense.
Reply 257
I remember news reports on that ship that sank a few months ago, women were complaining and making it a big deal that the men were trying to get on the lifeboats before women, as if they didn't deserve to
(edited 12 years ago)
Personally, I believe that the children should go first and then it should be first come first serve to the men and the women. After all, modern society has proved that both men and women are capable of taking care of children. Also, you do really need both sexes to reproduce!
Original post by suggsina

which part of "I'm not saying I agree with it" did you not understand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending