Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

B431 - Republic Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Referendum Bill 2012

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    B431 - Republic Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Referendum Bill 2012, TSR Government

Republic Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Referendum Act 2012

An Act to establish a referendum on whether or not to remove the monarchy and become a republic.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Part I: Referendum on becoming a republic

1. The Referendum
    (1) A referendum shall be held on whether or not to remove the monarchy
    (2) The referendum shall be held within one month of this Act receiving Royal Assent.
    (3) The question that is to appear on the ballot is -
    (a) "Do you wish to retain the monarchy of the United Kingdom?"

2. Entitlement to vote in the Referendum
    (1) Those entitled to vote in the referendum are -
    (a) any person who, on the date of the referendum, would be entitled to vote as electors in a TSR House of Commons election.

3. Conduct of the Referendum
    (1) The referendum shall be held in accordance with the constitution and guiding document of the House of Commons.

4. Commencement and Short title
    (1) This Act shall come into force upon the granting of Royal Assent.
    (2) This Act may be cited as the Republic Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Referendum Act 2012.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye - the most important question for adding democratic validity to the crux of our constitution, whatever your views regarding the right answer.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye though I will be campaigning strongly for a yes vote.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Although I will never vote for the UK to be a republic.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    To say anything other than 'Aye' is to deny people choice.

Aye, i will be campaigning for a No vote.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This bill came from the Tories and UKIP? Or is JPKC the intellectual force behind the TSR government? Whilst this is welcome, I find the need to get royal assent for a bill threatening a republic highly amusing in an ironic kind of way.
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye and I will campaign vigorously for a Yes vote.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    On a purely practical point, does anyone else think this is a bit too soon after we've just had a General Election?

Like space this crap out a bit.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    This bill came from the Tories and UKIP? Or is JPKC the intellectual force behind the TSR government? Whilst this is welcome, I find the need to get royal assent for a bill threatening a republic highly amusing in an ironic kind of way.
    So did I (though more so for those campaigning for a no vote).
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye to the Bill and Aye to the referendum.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tories suggested it originally, Ukip and Jpkc however gave it their full support.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Show me a poll more than 40% of the population want to get rid of the monarchy otherwise this is a pointless waste of money. Not to mention that there have been dozens of these polls on TSR not one has ever given even a large minority to the no vote. None are ever really close. We always get a resounding yes to keeping the monarchy, this really is a waste of time.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye to having a referendum, undecided on the referendum.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    no, no and no again.

'BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled' oh the irony.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Tories suggested it originally, Ukip and Jpkc however gave it their full support.
    To clarify, UKIP support the referendum. As to a stance, it will be up to each member to decide their stance. I intend to campaign for the retention of the monarchy.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, this is simply to give the people the choice.

It may be ironic however the Queen would have no choice but to respect the result.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Show me a poll more than 40% of the population want to get rid of the monarchy otherwise this is a pointless waste of money. Not to mention that there have been dozens of these polls on TSR not one has ever given even a large minority to the no vote. None are ever really close. We always get a resounding yes to keeping the monarchy, this really is a waste of time.
    If unofficial polls are so accurate why not stop having elections and save us a tonne of money?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.

I'm not aware of any widespread calls for a referendum on becoming a Republic. It doesn't seem to have the 'demand' like you hear when people are discussing the European Union etc. Even many of those who are indifferent of the Royal Family seem to worry about how Prime Ministers could become even more powerful by becoming a 'President', so my assumption has always been that people are indifferent of the status quo but prefer it over the alternative.

Saying that, couldn't really care less about the referendum so I'll probably vote yes at the vote and in the referendum. Admittedly I'm in that crowd of 'indifference' when it comes to the Royals, so maybe I'm just largely hanging around with like-minded peeps.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye! Anyone that's against is against the giving of a choice, ultimately.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    no, no and no again.

'BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled' oh the irony.
    People wanting a referendum may not necessarily be in favour of the question being asked in the referendum..
Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.