The Student Room Group

Maths and Economics joint degree?

I'm just wondering whether or not there's much point going for a joint honours degree in maths and economics? Will it benefit future employment prospects having the economics component?

I'm considering maths or actuarial science for next year, but I do enjoy economics. Any opinions?
Pure maths is hard. So is maths and actuarial science. That's a lot of stochastic calculus. Doing a joint degree does put the pressure off. The most that economists tend to do here mathematically is differentiation, and doing a joint degree does help you see what all that theory and algebra that you do in maths is about.

If you enjoy maths and have a passion for it, do it. But if you want to do a combined honours in two subjects you enjoy, there are some serious benefits (like the fact that you don't have to do maths you hate).

What if you end up doing maths and actsci and you end up hating stochastic calculus? Same thing with a pure maths degree, really. Many people took it and realised they hated doing so much maths at once. I'm one of the lucky few who enjoyed it all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Pure maths is hard. So is maths and actuarial science. That's a lot of stochastic calculus. Doing a joint degree does put the pressure off. The most that economists tend to do here mathematically is differentiation, and doing a joint degree does help you see what all that theory and algebra that you do in maths is about.

If you enjoy maths and have a passion for it, do it. But if you want to do a combined honours in two subjects you enjoy, there are some serious benefits (like the fact that you don't have to do maths you hate).

What if you end up doing maths and actsci and you end up hating stochastic calculus? Same thing with a pure maths degree, really. Many people took it and realised they hated doing so much maths at once. I'm one of the lucky few who enjoyed it all.

I'm pretty sure I want to study maths. The only reason I'm considering the economics joint honours is honestly just down to the enjoyment of economics. Whether or not I would be safer just sticking to a pure maths degree is what I'm not sure of.
Reply 3
Original post by CD315
I'm just wondering whether or not there's much point going for a joint honours degree in maths and economics? Will it benefit future employment prospects having the economics component?

I'm considering maths or actuarial science for next year, but I do enjoy economics. Any opinions?

I study M&E at the LSE. Personally really glad I took a joint degree as it gives me wider options for my modules.

In terms of whether it will benefit you employment wise - I shouldn't have though it will make much difference. All the people I know doing MwE, M&E, straight econ, statistics etc are all applying to very similar jobs. For grad jobs employers will usually look at your classification 1st, then university and degree course so it is important to choose something you will enjoy and do well in.

So my advice is to go with what you think you will prefer. But be aware both subjects change a lot from A level to uni level. Most universities will allow transfers between courses in your 1st year anyway if you meet certain conditions.
Reply 4
Original post by AndiB
I study M&E at the LSE. Personally really glad I took a joint degree as it gives me wider options for my modules.

In terms of whether it will benefit you employment wise - I shouldn't have though it will make much difference. All the people I know doing MwE, M&E, straight econ, statistics etc are all applying to very similar jobs. For grad jobs employers will usually look at your classification 1st, then university and degree course so it is important to choose something you will enjoy and do well in.

So my advice is to go with what you think you will prefer. But be aware both subjects change a lot from A level to uni level. Most universities will allow transfers between courses in your 1st year anyway if you meet certain conditions.

Fantastic reply, actually considering LSE for that myself. The maths and economics degree is starting to sound a lot more attractive than actuarial science which is what I was considering before!
Reply 5
Original post by AndiB

your reply is quite useful...actually i have a slightly similar situation....i applied for E,M&S at one uni and BBA at another. Initially i was so sticked with getting the BBA, hopely to major in accounting(really interested in). But upon reading several posts on the two courses i seem to be a little bit confused with what i really want. Could you possibly help me out with what i should really do?
Reply 6
math and econ is a good combination, it would set you up nicely for either a job in finance/banking (depending on which university you were at), and a postgrad degree in economics (which can be very mathematical).

Actuarial science seems a bit limiting as an undergrad degree, what if you end up not wanting to be an actuary? Having a degree in either mathematics or economics would make you competitive for an actuarial job anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7

Actuaries dont use stochastic calculus. You wouldnt generally do stochastic calculus as part of a mathematics (or economics) undergraduate degree either, unless you took a module in mathematical finance during your final year.
(edited 11 years ago)

what stochastic calculus? you do realise that the only stochastic calculus an actuarial student in uni will do at most, is related to CT8 and thats only a part of it, and at the most what will be taught is the basics of SDE's, brownian motion and ito calculus and thats basic stochastic calculus, so I dont know where you are gettign the information about stochastic calculus. Maybe you are referring to stochastic processes, where in CT4, and CT6 there are stochastic processes used

I argue however that, an actuarial course is much more statistical based rather than mathematical based or as you say "probabilistic based". Besides the maths taught in the course, is a small proportion of what si done in the job on a daily basis, more of an emphasis on excel work.

Quick Reply

Latest