The Student Room Group

5 months gym but small gains. Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Try mixing in some creatine to help.

Also. According to my sports science degree friend to get big it's lots of sets to get strong it's not many and you should be failing at the last.
Reply 101
OMFG, do ss/sl sub cleans for rows add pull downs dips and curls and your done!
Reply 102
Original post by Idle
True but do you believe you can only get stronger from such routines and not others?

Nope. Not denying that you'll be able to put on a bit of strength on a split designed for hypertrophy, but you're gonna be putting on a lot more strength in a lot shorter space of time on a program designed solely for strength. For strength you want to be lifting for heavy, 3-5 reps with long rests between sets (since you want to be building fast-twitch muscle fibers).
Reply 103
Original post by Idle
True but do you believe you can only get stronger from such routines and not others?

Hypertrophy split: you start seeing size gains quicker, however you are limited by your strength as progression on core lifts isn't very fast.
Full body strength and then hypertrophy split: you see some size gains but at a much slower rate and you will be more likely to put on some fat. However in 4-6 months, you're done. You get strong very quickly and start seeing size results very very quickly on the split and your capacity for getting bigger is higher.
Reply 104
Original post by happymountain
You should do 8-12 sets for each muscle except biceps and triceps where you should be doing 6 sets. Make sure you lift till failure every exercise.

Holy **** overtraining much?
Original post by happymountain
Its simple..

You need to eat more. Aim for about 3000 cals a day to put on weight. Weigh yourself weekly and aim to put on a lb a week, if not eat more.

Your protein intake is fine.

Record the weights you're lifting and the amount of reps you do so that you can increase the weight or reps the next time you train-this way you know if you're getting stronger (stronger=bigger).. if you're lifting the same weights each week then you're not going to get bigger.

You should do 8-12 sets for each muscle except biceps and triceps where you should be doing 6 sets. Make sure you lift till failure every exercise.

You may think a lb a week is not great gains, but trust me, if you put on a steady lb of muscle a week 6 months from now you could be 1 and a half stone of muscle heavier.

Follow these simple steps and you will see gains...

1lb of muscle per week is unrealistic. 1lb of muscle per month is more realistic.
Original post by JordanR

Same reason as above. I'm not saying that isolation exercises are a bad move -- by all means incorporate curls into your workouts if you want. Important for aesthetics, I'd say. I just think it's important to base your workouts around heavy, compound lifts.

I agree. And loads of bodybuilding routines and splits are based around heavy, compound lifts.
Reply 107
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
1lb of muscle per week is unrealistic. 1lb of muscle per month is more realistic.

Agreed. If you've got great genetics, perfect nutrition, train well, and sleep well then you may be able to put on maybe 2 lbs of muscle in a month (but more if you're still going through the "beginner" phase). But honestly, don't expect to put on any more than 1-1.5 lbs in that space of time and not have it be fat.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
I agree. And loads of bodybuilding routines and splits are based around heavy, compound lifts.

Very true, it's just that a routine that's solely focused on strength will yield better strength results in a shorter space of time, which will in turn allow you to hit your muscle groups harder in order to induce hypertrophy better.

Edit: at the end of the day, I guess there's no objectively "best" routine. The best routine for you is the one that gets you to the gym and motivated to actually do the exercise.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by Simplicity
Don't listen to the trolls that tell you to do SS

ss.jpg

100301_front.jpg

The second picture is particulalry relevent. He was tried personally by Rippletoe and he looks like crap.

If you want to do powerlifting, then do SS if not do something else. Hodgetwins are a good source of knowledge, should watch there videos. But, don't listen to these trolls.

SS uses compound lifts, are you trying to say compound lifts make you fat?
Reply 109
Gym 5 times a week.

3500 calories a day.

Lift big.

Protein shakes wont make you big, they are just a good supplement.
Reply 110
Original post by Alux
Gym 5 times a week.

3500 calories a day.

Lift big.

Protein shakes wont make you big, they are just a good supplement.

Agree except first point. Is 5 times a week neccessary?
Reply 111
Don't eat only when you get hungry, eat every time your NOT full.
Original post by Jeester
Try mixing in some creatine to help.

Also. According to my sports science degree friend to get big it's lots of sets to get strong it's not many and you should be failing at the last.

Sports science degrees are 3-4 years behind real world stuff.

I know this because I've corrected and outdone many sports science grads, udnergrads and pompous pricks.

3-5 on sub maximal weights. This is generally made up from your 1RM or as you go along from your own experience.

Squats, deadlifts, overhead pressing, bench, farmers walks, tyre flipping, atlas stones, sandbags etc. These get you real strong but only if you eat, drink and sleep right.

All the sets in the world wont get you strong and/or big without the fuel and rest you need.
Reply 113
lol @ this thread. No one even knows wtf the OP did in his training or how much he ate, no one has seen pictures or asked what his lifts are and how his strength has changed, but everyone piles in with their ****ing opinions about what he should, what he MUST do next.

One thing I agree with is that SS in an absolute joke. As in, literally a joke. Not just a bad routine, but a joke. There is no credible support for it for anyone who gives a **** about how they look, even slightly. All you get is people saying "yah but compounz r good and SS = compound liftz so SS is great trololololol". It will make you fat and strangely-proportioned, unathletic and unaesthetic, and then you'll just plateau after 6 months like everyone else.

It's amazing how many nobodies on TSR know the secret to super gains, but yet remain so modest that they never post pics or stats. There are only a small handful of people here with any level of muss or strength and afaik they're all juicers. I can "give advice" like the next gym fag but honestly I'm ****ed if I know how I can obtain impressive results. It's all genetics, innit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
If this goes on a few more days I'm going to start getting concerned that thread will never die and will be an endless fountain of stupidity
Reply 115
Original post by NB_ide
lol @ this thread. No one even knows wtf the OP did in his training or how much he ate, no one has seen pictures or asked what his lifts are and how his strength has changed, but everyone piles in with their ****ing opinions about what he should, what he MUST do next.

One thing I agree with is that SS in an absolute joke. As in, literally a joke. Not just a bad routine, but a joke. There is no credible support for it for anyone who gives a **** about how they look, even slightly. All you get is people saying "yah but compounz r good and SS = compound liftz so SS is great trololololol". It will make you fat and strangely-proportioned, unathletic and unaesthetic, and then you'll just plateau after 6 months like everyone else.

It's amazing how many nobodies on TSR know the secret to super gains, but yet remain so modest that they never post pics or stats. There are only a small handful of people here with any level of muss or strength and afaik they're all juicers. I can "give advice" like the next gym fag but honestly I'm ****ed if I know how I can obtain impressive results. It's all genetics, innit.

this is just silly, a routine dosen't make you fat, diet does.

and if you after aesthetics do ss with curls pulldowns and dips.
Reply 116
Original post by Gallium
this is just silly, a routine dosen't make you fat, diet does.

and if you after aesthetics do ss with curls pulldowns and dips.

"Starting Strength" comes with its own dietary recommendations, but even disregarding that then obviously given a fixed diet different levels and types of exercise will tend the trainee more, or less, towards fat gain. How you exercise is quite relevant to your resultant bf levels.
Original post by NB_ide
I can "give advice" like the next gym fag but honestly I'm ****ed if I know how I can obtain impressive results. It's all genetics, innit.

you bitter?
Original post by NB_ide

Funny because I'm doing a routine that is almost identical to starting strength and I am losing fat, getting stronger and revealing slight definition.

Where is your God now?
Reply 119
Original post by Arturo Bandini
you bitter?

and twisted.

Original post by mikestraws
Funny because I'm doing a routine that is almost identical to starting strength and I am losing fat, getting stronger and revealing slight definition.

Where is your God now?

Right in front of me. All hail mikestraws and his incredible gains.

Got any progress pics? And your then/now stats and lifts?

Quick Reply

Latest