The Student Room Group

5 months gym but small gains. Why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NB_ide
and twisted.

Right in front of me. All hail mikestraws and his incredible gains.

Got any progress pics? And your then/now stats and lifts?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1878343&page=7&p=36860141#post36860141

These are his photos for the TSR transformation contest (not sure if he was doing SS for that).
Reply 121
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1878343&page=7&p=36860141#post36860141

These are his photos for the TSR transformation contest (not sure if he was doing SS for that).

Original post by sil3nt_cha0s

I see progress.

It's far easier to tell if someone is a very low body fat %, though.
Original post by NB_ide

Say what you like those were taken after only after 4 weeks or so of working out.

The point is, I lost fat. And got stronger. According to you, ss just makes you get fat. You have been proven wrong. Now, where are your pics? And how strong are you?

My stats are as follows, not my 1RM because I don't feel the need to know what my 1rm is.

SQUATS: 75KG 5X5
BENCH: 47.5KG 5X5
DL: 80kg 1X5

8 weeks ago I had never touched a barbell before in my life :tongue: Still got a long way to go but since I plan to keep fit and strong the rest of my life I'm not too concerned.

Tell us again how compound based training routines make you fat, please.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by mikestraws
Say what you like those were taken after only after 4 weeks or so of working out.

why bother? There's no visible difference at all, especially with the totally different lighting, lol.

The point is, I lost fat. And got stronger.

Sure it's possible to lose fat with SS. It's possibly to lose fat with no exercise at all. And any training will make a noob stronger. Whether what you did was ideal, or is ideal for the average TSR idiot, is quite another matter. And especially to gain weight, SS and minimal-volume programs are pretty ****, wasteful of those key beginner gains.

According to you, ss just makes you get fat. You have been proven wrong.

Try gaining weight on it and see what you get.

Now, where are your pics?

I have pics that make me look jacked, and pics that make me look terrible. Neither of which am I posting here because I value being relatively anonymous. I was 143lbs at my current height and now I'm 200lbs. I've been lifting for ages, though, and it's all be pretty futile. I thoroughly discourage anyone from bothering.

And how strong are you

My lifts are more than double yours, but luckily I don't think that adds weight to my argument (pun accidental, but now intended). In fact it's not even relevant.

My stats are as follows, not my 1RM because I don't feel the need to know what my 1rm is.

SQUATS: 75KG 5X5
BENCH: 47.5KG 5X5
DL: 80kg 1X5

8 weeks ago I had never touched a barbell before in my life :tongue: Still got a long way to go but since I plan to keep fit and strong the rest of my life I'm not too concerned.

Weight training is directly opposed to your goal of staying fit and strong for the rest of your life, but good luck with your goals for 2012

Tell us again how compound based training routines make you fat, please.

I can't tell you again because I never told you a first time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NB_ide
x

I'll let you know in a year or so how gaining weight on that style of training went.

Care to tell me how weight lifting is directly opposed to a goal of being fit and strong? Sounds pretty interesting.
Reply 126
Original post by mikestraws
I'll let you know in a year or so how gaining weight on that style of training went.

Care to tell me how weight lifting is directly opposed to a goal of being fit and strong? Sounds pretty interesting.

You're better off in the pub.
Reply 127
Original post by NB_ide
You're better off in the pub.

how can you claim a routine makes you fat?

i'm on ss i started weighing a ****ty 53kg now i'm like 72kg i'm only 13-14% bodyfat and i'm pretty in shape.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=212883
thats a back pic from december which is a while ago, improved much more now...especially my lats. i'll actually post pics to prove a 'modded' ss results in decent gains.
Original post by NB_ide

I have pics that make me look jacked, and pics that make me look terrible. Neither of which am I posting here because I value being relatively anonymous. I was 143lbs at my current height and now I'm 200lbs. I've been lifting for ages, though, and it's all be pretty futile. I thoroughly discourage anyone from bothering.

Just to ask though (maybe I misunderstood your posts) do you not think that if you now cut and lost a few pounds you will look a lot more better than you did when you first started?

Plus how many calories where you eating whilst doing SS (as you've gained quite a lot of weight)
Reply 129
Original post by Chrisateen
Just to ask though (maybe I misunderstood your posts) do you not think that if you now cut and lost a few pounds you will look a lot more better than you did when you first started?

Plus how many calories where you eating whilst doing SS (as you've gained quite a lot of weight)

I've never done SS, though I did spend several years pratting around with similar bare-bones routines and never got along with them.

If I cut now I'd lose muscle and fat and basically just shrink. I've been all over with my bodyweight, imo most people generally just grow and shrink without any huge change in their body composition. In fact obviously most people make **** all gains ever, but we look at the minority who do and for some reason believe anyone could have done the same.

Overall yes I look better than if I had never got into lifting, but with several rather serious physical injuries, and psychological damage due to the solitary, obsessive and isolating nature of this hobby when taken to an extreme (I was very stupid), I can't say it's been good for me.
Loads of people make good gains. It's pretty easy really. You must be doing something seriously wrong
Original post by NB_ide
I've never done SS, though I did spend several years pratting around with similar bare-bones routines and never got along with them.

If I cut now I'd lose muscle and fat and basically just shrink. I've been all over with my bodyweight, imo most people generally just grow and shrink without any huge change in their body composition. In fact obviously most people make **** all gains ever, but we look at the minority who do and for some reason believe anyone could have done the same.

Overall yes I look better than if I had never got into lifting, but with several rather serious physical injuries, and psychological damage due to the solitary, obsessive and isolating nature of this hobby when taken to an extreme (I was very stupid), I can't say it's been good for me.

You probably would but you could minimise muscle loss by taking it really slowly and losing at a very slow rate. Just to also ask how long did it take for you to get up to 200lbs?

Its a shame that it hasn't worked out for you. I do think it does work as long as you have a decent lifting routine (doesn't have to be SS) and a good diet but it may be at a lot slow rate and would take a couple of years. From someone who lost weight and took up heavy lifting even though I'm a girl my body has transformed in a positive way and look like I have gained some muscle. I also believe that you can still achieve your body as well maybe you just haven't found what's best for you???
Reply 132
Original post by Chrisateen
You probably would but you could minimise muscle loss by taking it really slowly and losing at a very slow rate. Just to also ask how long did it take for you to get up to 200lbs?

**** knows, went up and down a lot in the first few years. I've not been below 80kg for about 3 years, though. I remember being 76kg after an illness in 2007.

Its a shame that it hasn't worked out for you. I do think it does work as long as you have a decent lifting routine (doesn't have to be SS) and a good diet but it may be at a lot slow rate and would take a couple of years. From someone who lost weight and took up heavy lifting even though I'm a girl my body has transformed in a positive way and look like I have gained some muscle. I also believe that you can still achieve your body as well maybe you just haven't found what's best for you???

I got into lifting in 2002, lol - I've seen it all, been around the block many times. Too old now to make much of it - I still lift because I enjoy it, but long ago accepted the reality of it all. I'm strong enough to impress idiots and carry some muscle but still look like **** basically. Doesn't matter though, no one really cares about this stuff outside of the lifting community.
Original post by NB_ide
I'm ****ed if I know how I can obtain impressive results. It's all genetics, innit.

you can get an impressive physique even with **** genetics. if you want to compete/take it to the next level then genetics start becoming a determining factor.

you keep slating for people not posting pictures, where are yours?

edit: regarding staying anonymous, crock of shisha! block your face out!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 134
Original post by commandant
you can get an impressive physique even with **** genetics.

well that kind of makes the term "**** genetics" pointless, lol. If "impressive" physiques come from "****" genetics, then in what sense are they even **** genetics?

if you want to compete/take it to the next level then genetics start becoming a determining factor.

you keep slating for people not posting pictures, where are yours?

I already said I look like **** and don't claim to know what the **** gets people jacked except good parents and an early start. I don't feel that I have anything to prove, therefore. Whereas I assume everyone saying this game is dead easy and inevitable must look pretty good themselves? I don't actually care to see them, but hopefully it makes them think about what results they're actually getting.
(edited 12 years ago)
what gets people jacked is consistency in diet and training. even if you have crap genetics you can get a physique that both the ladies and lads will lust over.

too many people cry over genetics rather than manning the fcuk up and deal with what they've got
Reply 136
Original post by commandant
what gets people jacked is consistency in diet and training. even if you have crap genetics you can get a physique that both the ladies and lads will lust over.

Consistency? Does what you're being consistent with make a difference? I mean, I could never leave my computer chair and just eat cereal but be damn consistent about it. Dedicated. Would I get jacked?

too many people cry over genetics rather than manning the fcuk up and deal with what they've got

There's plenty of time in the day to do both.
Cant be bothered with this. Time to eat some lean meat and sleep !
Reply 138
Original post by NB_ide
There are only a small handful of people here with any level of muss or strength and afaik they're all juicers. I can "give advice" like the next gym fag but honestly I'm ****ed if I know how I can obtain impressive results. It's all genetics, innit.

There's at least one record holder, and a chap with an almost 4*BW deadlift on here who (iirc) are both clean. Admittedly, they don't tell everyone to do SS, but still.

Quick Reply

Latest