The Student Room Group

What's useful to do in a gap year?

I'm planning on studying criminology at university, but I've had to take a gap year (not planned) because I hadn't decided on Uni until it was too late.. I've heard universities like if you work during gap years so i was wondering if there's anything that would be useful to do in my gap year for university?
Part-time work perhaps to earn a bit of money. I'd never had a job while I was in school so it was interesting to do something like that for a bit and realise that I really did want to be at uni. Plus I had a bit more money than the average student too, learning a lot about myself in the process. It was mostly difficult for me (emotionally) because I wasn't sure where I was in life for all sorts of reasons, but you seem to have a uni place secure so you're all sorted and shouldn't experience similar issues. Volunteering. Go travelling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Stressworthy
Part-time work perhaps to earn a bit of money. I'd never had a job while I was in school so it was interesting to do something like that for a bit and realise that I really did want to be at uni. Plus I had a bit more money than the average student too, learning a lot about myself in the process. It was mostly difficult for me (emotionally) because I wasn't sure where I was in life for all sorts of reasons, but you seem to have a uni place secure so you're all sorted and shouldn't experience similar issues. Volunteering. Go travelling.

Yeah I have a part-time job at the moment, I'm thinking of doing some voluntary work in my spare time too :smile: My friend's mum works in a university admissions office and apparently they prefer if what you do is somehow related to your course. :/
Thanks for your advice!
Yes, they do appreciate it if it's related to your course. For some courses, such as medicine, it's essential.

Most people use some (or all!) of the money that they've saved from working to go travelling. It's definitely a really worthwhile experience - after all, 14 months slaving behind a bar doesn't look as good as 8 months of slaving and 6 months of backpacking, and maybe even working abroad :wink:
Reply 4
Thanks this has been really helpful!! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending