Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are these ECG results normal?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16, 72kg, 5'11 and have an average BPM of 54. I play football and I am quite active. I'm quite coinscious about this area of my health. The doctor said I have a slight irregular heart beat and I don't know what to think. Can this be serious or is it because I am young and active?
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ecgg 4.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	520.8 KB 
ID:	142208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ecg3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	511.6 KB 
ID:	142209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ecg 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	516.4 KB 
ID:	142211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ecg 2].jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	142212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ecg.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	142213  
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    I'm 16, 72kg, 5'11 and have an average BPM of 54. I play football and I am quite active. I'm quite coinscious about this area of my health. The doctor said I have a slight irregular heart beat and I don't know what to think. Can this be serious or is it because I am young and active?
    That is a completely normal ECG.

The occasional irregular/skipped beat is not abnormal, dangerous or anything to be concerned about.
    I can see one, maybe two on all those ECGs.

Trust me, they are normal.

Jamie
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    That is a completely normal ECG.

The occasional irregular/skipped beat is not abnormal, dangerous or anything to be concerned about.
    I can see one, maybe two on all those ECGs.

Trust me, they are normal.

Jamie
    Thanks for the interpretation mate.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: If you're worried about it, why didn't you ask your doctor at the time they told you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it were likely to be a serious issue, they would have probably looked into it further and recommended some sort of treatment. They did not, so it is unlikely that they are concerned by it. Many people have a naturally irregular heartbeat and this does not cause them much harm.

If you feel you have had problems that could be down to a less-than-perfect heart, such as fainting, dizziness, shortness of breath, chest pain and so on, go back to your doctor.

In the very, very unlikely event that you suspect you are having a heart attack, phone 999 (or get someone else to) as quickly as possible. A bit of embarrassment at A&E is much better than a dead, or at the very least severely ill person stuck at home.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amwazicles)
    :facepalm: If you're worried about it, why didn't you ask your doctor at the time they told you?
    He said everything was fine but you know it's sometimes hard to believe when your young, life is precious mate :rolleyes:
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    He said everything was fine but you know it's sometimes hard to believe when your young, life is precious mate :rolleyes:
    Yeah, life is precious and I think most doctors would be able to recognise something dangerous in an ECG, especially in a young person because it is less likely and so probably more noticeable when something is wrong. Anyway, if you don't trust your doctor, ask for a second opinion, not an internet forum.. Hardly a more reliable source than a GP, is it?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amwazicles)
    Yeah, life is precious and I think most doctors would be able to recognise something dangerous in an ECG, especially in a young person because it is less likely and so probably more noticeable when something is wrong. Anyway, if you don't trust your doctor, ask for a second opinion, not an internet forum.. Hardly a more reliable source than a GP, is it?
    This was my second one, ill rest on it now I know it seems fine.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fine, don't need to worry
    Just a bit of a ****ty one or the screwed up pieces of paper

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.