The Student Room Group

How can I revise effectively for Science GCSE exams?

Scroll to see replies

you should do a paper and then revise the questions you get wrong
Unfortunately, exams are getting harder and soon there will be no coursework based exams (maybe arts and textiles will remain as coursework based) but for the rest it means the exam will be 100% of the grade awarded at the end therefore the best method to revise for you exams is read through the revision guides you've been given by school, make notes from lessons and stick them in your revision guide on the necessary page e.g. *NOTE* : "people with type 1 diabetes need to inject insulin into themselves to control blood sugar levels as they cannot produce insulin naturally", stick this note into the biology section / Diabetes. Another good way of revising is to take the last 3 (newest / accessable) pass papers in a particular subject then make a list on a paper of what type of questions / topics come up under a category section and tally mark them to see whats the most common topic, this will help you revise / to also see what didn't come up in the previous papers / it can come up again.
Im about to start my GCSE's tomorrow and these methods helped me revise for them, I know this because of my results in the mocks :smile:
Reply 22
Anyone doing the AQA exams
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/business-subjects/as-and-a-level/business-studies-2130
Thats the link to the business studies course so that you can ace your questions
about independent companies and drunk rats
karnoho I agree with your saying about drunk rats in the AQA biology exam, however you should think it this way, rats are like smaller humans un-trained, they have 2 legs, 2 arms, a mouth, eyes, ears, nose and a tail and are vertebrates as they have a backbone, therefore the question about drunk rats wouldn't have been hard as the effects of the drug that made them drunk (presuming alcohol) must have been similar to the effects on a human.
But yeah I agree about that stupid question being on the B1 exam, luckily my school does Edexcel GCSE Science :smile:
Reply 24
Other than using the CGP books, bitesize, GCSEPOD etc.
USE THE SPECIFICATION!!!!!!!

for example my science exams are OCR, I go on the website and try look for the spec, the spec has everything you MUST know... tick and cross what you know and what you dont know go back to the things and revise them!!
1. Find the syllabus
2. Learn all of the content the syllabus wants you to know
3. Past papers
hey I'm preparing for my gcse and I'm in year 9 any tips for maths and science do revision cards really help?
Reply 27
how do you revise from them really effectively like you got a test tomorrow
Check app Temple GCSE done by a student to revise science for exams
You first have to identify your weaknesses (e.g. completing the square/ forces/ osmosis etc) and then you should relentlessly work on them until they become your strengths.

How do you work on them? Well, for maths I would first make sure that I had understood/ learnt the content (i.e. a procedure for completing the square/ the key points concerning osmosis) and then I would do lots of exam style problems (from a textbook) to consolidate my understanding. Once you're confident on all of the subtopics in your course, you should start ploughing through past papers.

A recent study by Elevate Education showed that a student's academic performance in exams almost perfectly correlated to the number of past papers which they had done whilst preparing - so don't neglect past papers.

To actually learn the content, you could read through your textbook and watch videos on YouTube. For maths, I recommend going through tonnes of worked examples; they bolster understanding and act as blueprints to solve similar problems.

I've recently wrote an article about how to make use of something called "Deliberate Practice" as you prepare for a maths exam - and I think it could help you guys out.

Article: https://themathsproject.co.uk/how-to-exploit-deliberate-practice-as-you-prepare-for-a-maths-exam/

Enjoy,

Jack

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely do every past paper you can get your hands on. But that's only half the preparation...

Some tips about exam preparation here:
https://gcsechemistrytuition.co.uk/exam//
(edited 5 years ago)
Which exam board did you write please
Original post by tonynyats
Which exam board did you write please

I am writing to cover all UK syllabus. As my site publishes through regular lessons in the form of posts it is building into a comprehensive resource.

You can see the latest chemistry lessons here http://gcsechemistrytuition.co.uk/home/chemistry-lessons/
well duh
[QUOTE="ScienceConfusion;37161323"]Hi, my biology exam is on this time next month. I feel like breaking down! I have been revising bits and pieces, mainly for chem and maths though..biology has a lot of bulk and things to learn for and to be honest, I am woeful at any type of science. I'm a visual learner and the revision techniques I've been using so far have failed significantly. I got D's in all my maths and science mocks. :frown: How will I revise effectively for Sciences..mainly biology? Also, Maths please if you can spare the time? I really want A's. thank you, much appreciated! :biggrin:[/l

Original post by ScienceConfusion
Hi, my biology exam is on this time next month. I feel like breaking down! I have been revising bits and pieces, mainly for chem and maths though..biology has a lot of bulk and things to learn for and to be honest, I am woeful at any type of science. I'm a visual learner and the revision techniques I've been using so far have failed significantly. I got D's in all my maths and science mocks. :frown: How will I revise effectively for Sciences..mainly biology? Also, Maths please if you can spare the time? I really want A's. thank you, much appreciated! :biggrin:

We all have different ways of revising you’ve just got the find the right one for you I do have a post on my GYG coming out about I revise Science with multiple methods so I’ll tag you in it when I post it ; Friday 5th Jan :smile: faith
Study from your textbook and make sure that you study understand everything stated in the subject's syllabus.The examiner will never ask stuff outside the syllabus boundaries. Anything that is not stated in the syllabus is an absolute waste of time.
Reply 36
Read the textbook maybe a a few pages a day. Then make a few notes on them in YOUR OWN WORDS so that YOU are able to understand them . Re read and rewrite them a couple of times and lastly make a few flash cards on them ( optional ) I hope this helps u guys this is what I’m currently doing for my gcse revision and it’s working xx oh btw u need to go over that info again and again every now and then so u don’t forget xx
hi, do you like men. I do
is anyone there
this is so old, op hasnt been online for 3 years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending