Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you HONESTLY do in this scenario...?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 142 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are playing in the World Cup final and with the last kick of the game you hit a shot that the referee deems it over the line when it clearly wasn't. Since you were right over the incident, would any of you tell the referee to not give the goal? (Also I will add that in this case the referee was allowed to alter his decision & you not owning up wasn't evening up anything that happened previously) I could honestly say I wouldn't as I would feel much better if I had won/lost fairly as it's just my nature :cool:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, for me it will probably depend on how many crappy decisions the ref made during the game.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would be too busy cracking out the champagne.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. The referee has given the goal and so cannot reverse the decision.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, some decisions you win unfairly, some decisions you lose unfairly. It's part of the game until some genius decides to replace rubbishy refs with video cameras.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    punch pele in the face
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but thats a goal for me.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would just leave it. Heck, you wont get the stick, the ref will, as selfish as it is, its a win-win.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    I'm sure he can if the assistant says something, or in OP's case, if the player confesses it wasn't a goal :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Would just leave it. Heck, you wont get the stick, the ref will, as selfish as it is, its a win-win.
    unless if it was suarez?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol_this)
    unless if it was suarez?
    Are we to pretend that made any sense whatsoever?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I could stop time and give myself a moment to think about it, maybe, just maybe I would decide to tell the referee about it. But in the heat of the moment with emotions running high? No chance, because at that split second time frame, I doubt I'd be getting into any deep thoughts about the rights and wrongs, all I'd be thinking of is winning.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    I think he probably can.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    There have been incidents (think there was one with either Henry or Pires a few years back) where an attacker has gone down in the area and said to the ref that it wasn't a penalty - once the decision is made it cannot be reversed by a player.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    There have been incidents (think there was one with either Henry or Pires a few years back) where an attacker has gone down in the area and said to the ref that it wasn't a penalty - once the decision is made it cannot be reversed by a player.
    The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or, at his discretion, after advice from
    his assistant referee, providing [and this is an important part] he has not restarted play'.

Quoted from the FA website.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walterwhite123)
    The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or, at his discretion, after advice from
    his assistant referee, providing [and this is an important part] he has not restarted play'.

Quoted from the FA website.
    Exactly, my point was that a player cannot reverse a decision, regardless of his bias towards an opposite decision.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well there was an incident not very long ago in the German league where a goal was awarded but the striker told the referee he hand-balled it and so the referee disallowed the goal...
    (the FA don't run the bundesliga but still)
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    If it was Henry it's a shame he didn't do the same things again and speak up against Ireland in the World Cup Qualifier....

But surely if the ref has discretion a player can then change his mind? It's unlikely but to say that a referee can't reverse a decision if informed by a player it is the incorrect decision is wrong? The player can say "oi ref, it never went it guv" and the ref (aware that the player is unlikely to be lying as it will cost his time and turn him into a pariah in his home nation) shows his initiative and goes, "oh, really, terribly sorry, no goal then".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is stupid. Of course you would keep quiet. Save being the bigger man for a decision that doesn't matter as much. Then the do gooders of society will give you credibility at a much lower cost than a world cup.
    • 6 followers

Haven't there been situations where the team that scored the 'goal' have then scored an own goal to even it up? Admittedly I doubt that this would happen in a World Cup final but it's still something.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.