Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

I have an interesting hypothetical...

Announcements Posted on
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    This is a question for religious people. More specifically followers of Abrahamic religions.

It is the day of judgement and you have been given a pass to Heaven.

Just as you are about to walk through the gates of Heaven, you are called back by an Angel. The Angel asks you to watch as they throw millions of people into the eternal fire. You stand silently and watch.

Over and over again, the Angel pulls a lever releasing large clumps of people into the hellfire.

It has come down to the last 1000 people. These remaining 1000 are people you know and are somewhat friendly with. They are not bad people, except for the fact they did not believe in God.

The Angel invites you to take control of the lever. They say "If you pull this lever you will cause these people to suffer eternal pain. If you release the lever, they will be granted access to paradise. You will be given access to paradise regardless.

Which do you choose?"

What would you do ?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Aha I'm looking forward to this
  3. Online

ReputationRep:
    I don't predict you'll get many serious answers to your question. :no:
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unfathomablee)
    Aha I'm looking forward to this
    (Original post by generic_man)
    I don't predict you'll get many serious answers to your question. :no:
    I assume you guys are atheists.

Just out of interest what would you do?
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenorebrem)

honestly I'd pull the lever but If I were religious and had deep moral beliefs then I'd sacrifice myself

But it may be gods trick question to see if we are really worthy of heaven then I'd 'sacrifice' myself haha
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    The great white throne judgment is described in Revelation 20:11-15 and is the final judgment prior to the lost being cast into the lake of fire. We know from Revelation 20:7-15 that this judgment will take place after the millennium and after Satan, the beast, and the false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:7-10). The books that are opened (Revelation 20:12) contain records of everyone’s deeds, whether they are good or evil, because God knows everything that has ever been said, done, or even thought, and He will reward or punish each one accordingly (Psalm 28:4; 62:12; Romans 2:6; Revelation 2:23; 18:6; 22:12).

Also at this time, another book is opened, called the “book of life” (Revelation 20:12). It is this book that determines whether a person will inherit eternal life with God or receive everlasting punishment in the lake of fire. Although Christians are held accountable for their actions, they are forgiven in Christ and their names were written in the “book of life from the creation of the world” (Revelation 17:8). We also know from Scripture that it is at this judgment when the dead will be “judged according to what they had done” (Revelation 20:12) and that “anyone’s name” that is not “found written in the book of life” will be “thrown into the lake of fire” (Revelation 20:15).
    http://www.gotquestions.org/great-wh...-judgment.html

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for - but it's not up to me. If their names aren't in that book then they don't get in. I might be inclined to want them to enter heaven - that's also what God wants - but if they rejected Christ in their lifetime then they can't enter heaven.
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crabbages)
    [URL]

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for - but it's not up to me. If their names aren't in that book then they don't get in. I might be inclined to want them to enter heaven - that's also what God wants - but if they rejected Christ in their lifetime then they can't enter heaven.
    So you would pull the lever?

BTW in this hypothetical it is ENTIRELY up to you. Remember whatever decision you make has already been written.
    :mmm:
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unfathomablee)
    honestly I'd pull the lever but If I were religious and had deep moral beliefs then I'd sacrifice myself

But it may be gods trick question to see if we are really worthy of heaven then I'd 'sacrifice' myself haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting but you would sacrifice yourself only because you are atheist.
    :mmm:
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Release,the lever obviously.
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Release,the lever obviously.
    Are you of an Abrahamic religion?
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    So you would pull the lever?

BTW in this hypothetical it is ENTIRELY up to you.
    If pulling the lever meant that they received Christ, repented and their sins were forgiven, and doing this didn't condemn me to Hell then sure, I'd pull the lever.
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    If pulling the lever meant that they received Christ, repented and their sins were forgiven, and doing this didn't condemn me to Hell then sure, I'd pull the lever.
    So you believe that they should be spared and should enter Heaven.
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Are you of an Abrahamic religion?
    Yeah mate
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Yeah mate
    Interesting.
    Very interesting indeed.
    :holmes:
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    As the great Biggie smalls once said..
    When I die, **** it I wanna go to (hell)
    Cause I'm a piece of ****, it ain't hard to ****in' tell
    It don't make sense, goin' to heaven wit' the goodie-goodies
    Dressed in white, I like black Tims and black hoodies
    God will probably have me on some real strict ****
    No sleepin' all day, no gettin my dick licked
    Hangin' with the goodie-goodies loungin' in paradise
    **** that ****, I wanna tote guns and shoot dice
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Haha I never said I was an atheist but in all honesty I have a very weak faith so yeah almost borderline atheism, but in my opinion if those 1000 people were going hell then they evidently deserved it
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    So you believe that they should be spared and should enter Heaven.
    If it were possible for them to receive Christ and repent of their sins, yes.

The thing is, that's where your hypothetical situation falls apart - in reality, it's too late at this point. Their fate is sealed, and they couldn't repent if they wanted to. God is a just judge, and judges according to his law - if you reject Christ and don't repent of your sins during your lifetime, you don't get into Heaven. God doesn't want people to go to Hell, but these people made their choice while they were alive. Instead of choosing to serve God and entering Heaven, they chose to serve sin and enter Hell. If they didn't go to Hell, God would be removing their free will to serve their own desires instead of serving Him, and would not have judged fairly.
  18. Online

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't pull the lever. No sense in making good people suffer. I'd also feel like I was trapped in the realm of a psychopath though so it wouldn't really be "paradise" for me.
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    If it were possible for them to receive Christ and repent of their sins, yes.

The thing is, that's where your hypothetical situation falls apart - in reality, it's too late at this point. Their fate is sealed, and they couldn't repent if they wanted to. God is a just judge, and judges according to his law - if you reject Christ and don't repent of your sins during your lifetime, you don't get into Heaven. God doesn't want people to go to Hell, but these people made their choice while they were alive. Instead of choosing to serve God and entering Heaven, they chose to serve sin and enter Hell. If they didn't go to Hell, God would be removing their free will to serve their own desires instead of serving Him, and would not have judged fairly.
    But God has written down what is to happen and only he know it.

So he may have written this hypothetical down for YOU with decision you made.
    So it really does not fall apart ?

Now If you believe that they should be given access to Heaven then what of the rest of Humanity.

There are many people just like your friends in the world, people who lack faith in God but are good people nonetheless yet they were punished to hell.

By your own admission if you had only got to know them and become friends with them, then they should have entered Heaven.

So was God's judgement wrong?
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.
    Very interesting indeed.
    :holmes:
    How is it interesting? You are saving people as well as going to heavan yourself.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 15, 2015
2015 general election
New on TSR

Win a postgrad place

Scholarship worth over £9,000 up for grabs

Article updates
Useful resources
  • 0 new posts
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.