Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Muslims- What are your opinions on Quranists? -POLL

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Muslims- What are your opinions on Quranists?
    They shouldn't even be considered Muslims.
    30.46%
    I don't know much about them to judge.
    18.78%
    I don't really care about other sects in Islam.
    6.09%
    We're all Muslims, it doesn't matter.
    29.95%
    I'm a Quranist myself.
    11.68%
    I don't agree with them but respect their views.
    14.72%
    Other- please comment below.
    6.60%

• 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Europeans seem to have gotten the picture. After centuries of bloody rivalry and continuous wars - Europe has founded a union based on shared humanity with a view to mutual prosperity. There is no reason why such a shift in Islamic attitudes can be attained. Though I'd like to see what your experience of the Islamic community is, it doesn't seem like you attain your authority on the subject anywhere but from thin air.
    Really? You're using Europe as an example of people of differing beliefs, ideologies and backgrounds getting along well? In the 20th Century alone there was the Cold War, the Troubles in Ireland, the genocide of Bosnian Muslims, the Armenian genocide, a civil war in Spain, Basque separatist terrorism, race riots, the Holocaust, etc, etc. Even in the 21st Century we've had terrorism (both home-grown Islamic and nationalist/separatist) and wars, and many of the problems of the 20th Century have carried over. Just now I was watching the trial of the guy who killed 77 people in Norway because he despised multiculturalism.

I think it's naive of you to suggest that just because many of the sovereign states of Europe have formed the EU that the continent is a veritable paradise free of trouble. The current relative state of peace in Europe is likely due to the fact we're far more economically developed than most of the rest of the world and the differences between countries are becoming ever more blurred because of the globalised world that we live in, not because of some continent-wide effort to foster good relations and encourage people to forget their differences that magically succeeded.

I'm not sure why you want me to prove my Islamic credentials to you. I'm not a Muslim, nor do I come from a Muslim background, if that's what you're asking. I'm not even saying that this inability to get on well with other sects is something unique to Islam anyway (although its insular nature and its adherents' tendency to follow its holy texts to the letter do exacerbate things somewhat).
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayne.corr)
    why would god create such a goddamn difficult and complicated religion?

surely, being god and all, he could've created simple rules that everyone understands.
    He did create simple rules that everyone can understand. Just because it is easy to understand, doesn't mean people have to follow them.

There's simple enough laws in any nation, yet people still steal, commit murder, do drugs and so on.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayne.corr)
    why would god create such a goddamn difficult and complicated religion?

surely, being god and all, he could've created simple rules that everyone understands.
    Life is a test, dear friend

God actually enjoys testing us : for this reason he revealed his Holy text in a language like classical Arabic , which, at the time, was written without vowels (consonants only) and even some of the consonants were written alike (before the diacritical points were added).

However, this text (Quran) is supposed to be, letter by letter, the word of God.

Truly, life is a test.... and God is watching carefully: if we get it wrong, it's hellfire for us - where our skin will be scorched, and new skin will grow so that better we can continue being tortured....

and God is compassionate, mercyful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    Life is a test, dear friend

God actually enjoys testing us : for this reason he revealed his Holy text in a language like classical Arabic , which, at the time, was written without vowels (consonants only) and even some of the consonants were written alike (before the diacritical points were added).

However, this text (Quran) is supposed to be, letter by letter, the word of God.

Truly, life is a test.... and God is watching carefully: if we get it wrong, it's hellfire for us - where our skin will be scorched, and new skin will grow so that better we can continue being tortured....

and God is compassionate, mercyful
    god is one sadistic guy, sorta like that clown out of the SAW films
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Quran teaches us to obey Allah and to obey his messenger. Islam is submission to God, on his terms not on our terms. We can't reject something because we don't really like it, instead we hear and we obey, that is what Islam is.

And whatever the Messenger has given you - take; and what he has forbidden you - refrain from. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is severe in penalty. 59:7
    And obey Allah and the Messenger that you may obtain mercy. 3:132

Can I ask you to listen to this video from 1:00 to 10:00 as well as the last five minutes of this video here.
    If you want a more in-depth discussion of hadith, how it was collected and classified, I would suggest Chapter 3 (p78) of this book.

May Allah guide us all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tfaska)
    The Quran teaches us to obey Allah and to obey his messenger. Islam is submission to God, on his terms not on our terms. We can't reject something because we don't really like it, instead we hear and we obey, that is what Islam is.
    Yep

Befehl ist Befehl, Herr Obersturmbannfuehrer
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    The majority vote on this poll is a bit disturbing. Strange coming from adherents of a religion which teaches its' followers not to be judgemental...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    The majority vote on this poll is a bit disturbing. Strange coming from adherents of a religion which teaches its' followers not to be judgemental...
    My way or the highway, I'm afraid...
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squishy123)
    My way or the highway, I'm afraid...
    Sorry, I'm confused?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think those who voted that Quranists are not muslims need a reality check. I'm not a a Quranist. A muslim is defined as someone who believes the shahada. The Qur'an, by-and-large, states the main fundamentals. However the hadiths exist to keep the Qur'an in proper context. Those who reject one or the other can become dangerous people who can do dangerous things.

Hadiths also create a basis for rules. It gives us reason to follow the rules. Like precedence in courts of English law.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm confused?
    It's either mainstream Islam (4 madhabs etc) or you're not a Muslim. Common psychology of Muslims worldwide.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's either mainstream Islam (4 madhabs etc) or you're not a Muslim. Common psychology of Muslims worldwide.
    Doesn't make it right...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Islam, are you serious? It's highly sectarian in nature.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't make it right...
    Does disregarding the Hadiths claiming fabrication and inconsistency "make it right"?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    This is true, but they shouldn't be really.

Does disregarding the Hadiths claiming fabrication and inconsistency "make it right"?
    In some cases there has been inconsistency?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    In some cases there has been inconsistency?
    Not really. Most Quranist do not understand or carry out indepth research on what Hadith Science really is, and how the reliability of a hadith is formed.

Every single hadith is scrutinized, analysed, looked into great detail before any conclusions are derived.

From an early date Muslim scholars recognized the danger of false testimony and hence false doctrine, and developed an elaborate science for criticizing tradition. "Traditional science", as it was called, differed in many respects from modern historical source criticism, and modern scholarship has always disagreed with evaluations of traditional scientists about the authenticity and accuracy of ancient narratives. But their careful scrutiny of the chains of transmission and their meticulous collection and preservation of variants in the transmitted narratives give to medieval Arabic historiography a professionalism and sophistication without precedent in antiquity and without parallel in the contemporary medieval West. By comparison, the historiography of Latin Christendom seems poor and meagre, and even the more advanced and complex historiography of Greek Christendom still falls short of the historical literature of Islam in volume, variety and analytical depth. - Bernard Lewis, Islam In History (Open Court Publishing, 1993), pp.104-105
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    You do realise non muslims are voting in the poll as well lol.

Lol sectarian? What are you even talking about? Islam is Islam.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Yeah, but I didn't think non- Muslims would judge Quranists as being non- Muslims. Maybe I'm wrong

(Original post by Perseveranze)
    Not really. Most Quranist do not understand or carry out indepth research on what Hadith Science really is, and how the reliability of a hadith is formed.
    Sorry but how do you know this?

Every single hadith is scrutinized, analysed, looked into great detail before any conclusions are derived.

From an early date Muslim scholars recognized the danger of false testimony and hence false doctrine, and developed an elaborate science for criticizing tradition. "Traditional science", as it was called, differed in many respects from modern historical source criticism, and modern scholarship has always disagreed with evaluations of traditional scientists about the authenticity and accuracy of ancient narratives. But their careful scrutiny of the chains of transmission and their meticulous collection and preservation of variants in the transmitted narratives give to medieval Arabic historiography a professionalism and sophistication without precedent in antiquity and without parallel in the contemporary medieval West. By comparison, the historiography of Latin Christendom seems poor and meagre, and even the more advanced and complex historiography of Greek Christendom still falls short of the historical literature of Islam in volume, variety and analytical depth. - Bernard Lewis, Islam In History (Open Court Publishing, 1993), pp.104-105
    So, you are saying that there can be no faults found with them at all?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)

Lol sectarian? What are you even talking about? Islam is Islam.
    Yes, and it's sectarian. It's hostile to people of religions/sects different to it.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and it's sectarian. It's hostile to people of religions/sects different to it.
    In theory, there are no sects in Islam. And it is not hostile:

Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth has been made clear from error. Whoever rejects false worship and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that never breaks. And God hears and knows all things.” (Quran 2:256)

Considering you're self hating Arab, Im not surprised.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2013
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.