Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims- What are your opinions on Quranists? -POLL

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Muslims- What are your opinions on Quranists?
    They shouldn't even be considered Muslims.
    30.77%
    I don't know much about them to judge.
    18.97%
    I don't really care about other sects in Islam.
    6.15%
    We're all Muslims, it doesn't matter.
    30.26%
    I'm a Quranist myself.
    10.77%
    I don't agree with them but respect their views.
    14.87%
    Other- please comment below.
    6.67%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For those of you that don't know, Quranists are a sect that reject the hadiths/sunnah and follow the Quran solely.

I'm a Muslim, and lately I've been reading up on this whole rejecting the hadiths thing. Islam used to be so confusing for me because there were just such odd rules that I never thought had anything to do with being a good/bad person. So now I'm reading the Quran alone from start to finish and interpreting the religion without the hadiths. I mean, how can you trust sources that have so many contradictions in it? If God wanted us to follow a separate book to the Quran, then wouldn't he have stated that in the Quran?

But I'm still unsure about this whole thing so just wanted to know people's opinions on "Quranists". Some people have told me that they don't even consider them as Muslims

Ps: Please no sarcastic comments from non-Muslims trying to get at Islam.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't even be able say the SHAHADAH (confirmation needed?) or even your Salah without the Hadiths.

I'm curious as to how the Quranists will pray their Salah which is one of the five fundamental pillars.

EDIT: Can someone, preferbly a Quranist, inform me on the position of the HADITH QUDSI within the Quranist group?

For those interested in Hadith Qudsi's, they are "according to as-Sayyid ash-Sharif al-Jurjani, the Hadith Qudsi differ from the Quran in that the former were revealed in a dream or through revelation and are "expressed in Muhammad's words", whereas the latter are the "direct words of God"". It's a tough cookie to explain away.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll say they're the purest Muslims out there, I mean the quran itself states it's fully detailed etc so why is there any need for hadiths and the other hundrerds of books out there. If hadiths never existed, there wouldn't be extremism in Islam.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, what do they do when there is something that doesn't come up in the Qur'an?

Such as, erm,

(I'll get back to you on this, but you get my point)
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizz113)
    So, what do they do when there is something that doesn't come up in the Qur'an?

Such as, erm,

(I'll get back to you on this, but you get my point)
    such as reply #2, the qur'an doesnt tell us how to pray
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y-y)
    Yeah. The point I raise is, what do they do in these situations? Leave it out? :eek:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP. the Qu'ran Has not been altered the reliability of hadiths can be questions. Yes a lot of important things come from the Hadith but I also am reading the Qu'ran and translation so I can interpret it myself and live life according to the Qu'ran. However I wouldn't say I'm a Quaranist because i still read hadiths, its just that i'm trying to focus on fulfilling what the Qu'ran tells me to do, So i live following the Qu'ran and the hadiths guide me on how to do so. I still believe that it shouldn't matter if someone is a Quranist because we are all muslims at the end of the day
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are many things not mentioned in the quran as it was written years ago and many things has changed since then
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    It seems like one of the biggest problems in Muslimdom is Muslims spending the majority of their time telling others just who is and isn't a Muslim. I'm not saying that it's definitionless, but there's something to be said about just how quick the majority of modern Muslims are to declare someone a 'heretic' for not following the exact and particular protocol of Islam that they follow.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y-y)
    The hadiths were collected 200 years after the Prophet died. How do you suppose they knew how to pray before it was all collected?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squishy123)
    You wouldn't even be able say the SHAHADAH (confirmation needed) or even your Salah without the Hadiths.

I'm curious as to how the Quranists will pray their Salah which is one of the five fundamental pillars.
    Their version of the SHAHADAH is "no god but god" (which is in the Quran) rather than the Sunni "no god but God, Muhammad is His Prophet" (second part comes from non Quran sources) as for Salah it differs per Quranist, most pray twice i believe and they don't believe Friday prayers are obligatory.

I like them more than a lot of other sects of Islam because they tend to be more open and reject a lot of the less desirable aspects such as stoning, killing apostates and punishing people for being gay but there are still a number of aspects that i disagree with but not a muslim so wont vote
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone already said it - how would you even know how to pray if you don't follow ahadith? Isn't being a Quranist a bit self-contradictory considering the fact that the Qur'an states on multiple occasions (correct me if I'm wrong) to follow the way and the sunnah of the holy prophet pbuh - how exactly does a Quranist go about doing that if they aren't willing to consider hadiths?

Often there are less contradictions than an individual thinks and sometimes it is down to the person's own understanding.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizz113)
    Yeah. The point I raise is, what do they do in these situations? Leave it out? :eek:
    I guess so
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squishy123)
    You wouldn't even be able say the SHAHADAH (confirmation needed?) or even your Salah without the Hadiths.

The shahadah is quoted in the Quran. I'll get back to you with the verse and surah, but don't you think it's a bit weird to include the prophet's name in it? Why should we include Muhammad's name, but not Moses, Jesus, Abraham or any other prophet when the Quran says to not make any distinction between the prophets?
    "And those who believe in Allah and His messengers and make no distinction between any of them, to them He will grant their rewards." (4:152)
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baddream)
    The hadiths were collected 200 years after the Prophet died. How do you suppose they knew how to pray before it was all collected?
    90 years* actually
    yes it was passed on by oral transmission but this is similar to a game of chinese whispers, it gets changed over time and that is why some people pray with their arms on their chest, and some with their arms by their sides
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    the first option pisses me off... as if anyone here has the right to judge them :facepalm:
    go on...quote me and tell me why im wrong... tell me why you think you can judge others like that...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    Their version of the SHAHADAH is "no god but god" (which is in the Quran) rather than the Sunni "no god but God, Muhammad is His Prophet" (second part comes from non Quran sources) as for Salah it differs per Quranist, most pray twice i believe and they don't believe Friday prayers are obligatory.

I like them more than a lot of other sects of Islam because they tend to be more open and reject a lot of the less desirable aspects such as stoning, killing apostates and punishing people for being gay but there are still a number of aspects that i disagree with but not a muslim so wont vote
    Haha, you can still vote I just thought a lot of non-Muslims would bombard this thread with sarcastic comments about Islam just like other Islam-related threads.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)

but if they are quranists, surely they would agree with the stoning/lashing/killing seeing as it is in the quran
    I dont get it, do they pick and choose?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y-y)
    90 years* actually
    yes it was passed on by oral transmission but this is similar to a game of chinese whispers, it gets changed over time and that is why some people pray with their arms on their chest, and some with their arms by their sides
    Nope, I'm pretty sure they finished collecting it after 200 years. Maybe they started 90 years later, but either way, if someone was to come 90 years after your death and recollect the moments of your life, how accurate do you think they would be?

Also, regarding 'chinese whispers', that's basically what the hadiths are. A lot of the men that collected those stories about Muhammad weren't alive during his time, so ultimately, isn't it just what they've heard/what's been passed down?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A question to a Muslim/anyone knowledgeable on Islam.

I don't get it? why did god purposefully not include how to pray in the quran... god is all knowing,all powerful so he would know 1400 years later Islam would still be present. It's one of the five pillars of islam surely it would be wise to include it in the quran?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: September 10, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.