Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When renting, who do I pay my money to?

Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for accommodation of my own, preferrably an unfurnished studio flat in the £600pcm range.

But do I pay the monthly rent to the estate agents, or the landlord?

I am NOT going to be giving my bank details to a stranger, so would the landlord expect cash in hand? This isn't the 1980s anymore, surely that kind of thing doesn't happen where the landlord knocks on the door each month and asks in a gruff voice "oi, wherez me money guv!"
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    the landlord i presume, wouldnt know why they would expect money...agencies manage advertising several different houses, all of which have their respective landlords.
    would have thought typically card would be preferrable but it depends on the landlord i guess.

though my knowledge of this is iffy, so itd be best if you waited for confirmation of this by another poster
    a simple way to resolve this is to find the house you want, contact the agency, and simply ask...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    We put the money straight into the landlords bank account.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    We put the money straight into the landlords bank account.
    That's also what we'll be doing next year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The estate agent usually gives you a standing order form with the details of the landlords account number etc. Sometimes they use a direct debit form where you give yours, rare that the landlord actually ever sees your bank details.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to live on my own in the flat, so how much in bills would I expect to pay on top of the rent? 600pcm basic rent, plus maybe 200pcm bills? From a full-time Sainsbury's job (39 hrs) I would not have hardly anything left over in the month to pay for food or my personal bills such as phone contract, gym membership, petrol, car tax/insurance, haircuts etc.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I am looking to live on my own in the flat, so how much in bills would I expect to pay on top of the rent? 600pcm basic rent, plus maybe 200pcm bills? From a full-time Sainsbury's job (39 hrs) I would not have hardly anything left over in the month to pay for food or my personal bills such as phone contract, gym membership, petrol, car tax/insurance, haircuts etc.
    £600pcm seems somewhat excessive - around here it's more like £300pcm for a studio flat, and only up to £400 even in Bristol.

And for a flat of that size, unless you like to leave the heating on full all week and the windows open, you shouldn''t be paying that much in bills either. It'll be worth speaking to the current tenant about how much it actually costs them. Don't forget that switching energy suppliers usually makes these things cheaper too.

Don't forget that you may be able to claim housing benefit and council tax benefit as you're on a low income.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I am looking for accommodation of my own, preferrably an unfurnished studio flat in the £600pcm range.

But do I pay the monthly rent to the estate agents, or the landlord?

I am NOT going to be giving my bank details to a stranger, so would the landlord expect cash in hand? This isn't the 1980s anymore, surely that kind of thing doesn't happen where the landlord knocks on the door each month and asks in a gruff voice "oi, wherez me money guv!"
    It depends on whether you're renting through a letting agency or with a private landlord. If it's through an agent then rent generally goes through them to the landlord (and they take a cut), or if it's private let then it'll probably be via credit card or standing order directly into the landlord's bank account. Your house deposit should be protected by a deposit protection scheme and the rest should be laid out and protected in the contract.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.