The Student Room Group

Manchester vs Sheffield uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hi, i need help too! got a place at manchester and sheffield doing environmental science, and from what i have gained the course at sheffield is better but the manchester uni as a whole is better? is this correct? help!!!! xxx:frown:
Original post by albensley
hi, i need help too! got a place at manchester and sheffield doing environmental science, and from what i have gained the course at sheffield is better but the manchester uni as a whole is better? is this correct? help!!!! xxx:frown:

As a Manchester student who absolutely loves the uni, I will say that Manchester is not significantly better than Sheffield. If you prefer the course at Sheffield (make sure you have looked at all the course modules in detail) then go to Sheffield.
Hiya,
I have the same dilemma. I have an offer from both unis for Materials Engineering and I have no idea which one to put as my firm.
I fell in love with Sheffield instantly, unlike Manchester, which I dint like very much.
However, it seems as though Manchester is the place to be in terms of resources and reputation.
I want to work in the industry after I graduate instead of research, so employability is key.
Im stuck, I don't know which one to choose.
HELP.
There isn't much of a difference between Manchester and Sheffield in terms of overall reputation. If the Sheffield course is better and you prefer it then choose Sheffield.
Original post by circeblanco
Hiya,
I have the same dilemma. I have an offer from both unis for Materials Engineering and I have no idea which one to put as my firm.
I fell in love with Sheffield instantly, unlike Manchester, which I dint like very much.
However, it seems as though Manchester is the place to be in terms of resources and reputation.
I want to work in the industry after I graduate instead of research, so employability is key.
Im stuck, I don't know which one to choose.
HELP.

If you prefer Sheffield then go there - they're both excellent universities, but there's a lot to be said for following your gut feeling when choosing a uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Masoudy
I am in about the same position! (excluding Oxford :P)

I got offers "bioscience" from both Manchester and Sheffield, Manchester had a higher requirement but I think I will firm Sheffield and make Manchester my insurance.

I am choosing Sheffield over Manchester for several reasons I noticed (although Manchester is a respected Uni):

- Because of their Bachelors + Masters program
- Sheffield is ranked FIRST in research assessment in the Complete University Guide for bio science
- Higher satisfaction for Sheffield
- Smaller city, I am currently living in London, not really enjoying big cities
- A few friends of mine live in Sheffield, no one complained about the university or the city

This is my personal opinion, you don't have to agree with me :smile:

Could you say what makes their Bachelors and Masters program special? I thought they were similar for the majority of unis and their couses but I guess I'm wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending