The Student Room Group

What is the most fundamental subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by AtomSmasher
Maths, obviously. The only thing that precedes it is logic itself which is rarely studied as a subject much any more. Without maths there is no Physics, which means no Chemistry, which means no biology, which means no medicine and neuroscience and everything else that relies on the sciences. In that sense it's the most fundamental. It's possible to argue that philosophy is but it isn't very important nowadays and as a subject it isn't really necessary. It's the ideas and curiosity about the world that is part of philosophy that are an important prerequisite for the sciences and maths.

Fun Fact: Starting on any Wikipedia page at all, if you click the first link that isn't in brackets/quotation marks and keep following these links, you eventually get to the page 'Philosophy'. Works almost every time.

Wow, it really does work! I started with "Mushroom" first time, and the second time I went for a random article and got some vinyl record released in 2008...
You missed it out... it's Logic.
Original post by DebatingGreg
The Philosophy of Mathematics
The Language of Philosophy
Reply 63
Original post by Raiden10
Fair enough. Math talk coming up. As it happens mathematics doesn't really have a foundation. In place of an spotless foundation it has a collection of pretenders with one shared holistic theme. The theme is: "almost everything is nasty". In other words, taking a broad enough view, almost everything doesn't have any of the properties you want it to. Almost all statements can't be proved, almost all real numbers can't be computed, almost all real -> real functions are not continuous, etc.

Russell's paradox has to be avoided, which is probably even more of a pain in the butt.

So in light of the absence of a really coherent foundation for mathematics (sorry, but just saying "philosophy" is not good enough), and the almost total lack of problems engendered by this messy state of affairs, it is ironic that (a) mathematics is a foundation for other subjects, (b) that mathematics is seen as more solid and fundamental in general than other subjects, and (c) that being "fundamental" is even important at all.

Maths clearly does have a foundation: the axioms. There are statements that are taken to be true, whether they are self-evident or not. These axioms are valid so long as they do not cause paradoxes to occur within the system. It is from these statements that the rest of the edifice is constructed in mathematics. For instance, in euclidean geometry there is the axiom that parallel lines never cross. Of course space-time in reality is non-euclidean, and this is far from self-evident, however that is unimportant and irrelevant to euclidean geometry which is an axiomatic system that does not contradict itself.

I think the reason why maths is described as so fundamental is because most of the other subjects borrow from it. Most physical processes (quantum decay, combustion engines, neurons firing in the brain) can be modeled by mathematical equations, even our most basic intuitive thinking seems to be grounded in mathematics. When we say: I'm going to the club rather than to Mum's house, it is because we are estimating that we will get more fun from the former than the latter. But what is more? Is it a quantifiably greater amount. Is that a mathematical concept? And even though our knowledge of mathematics is incomplete, that doesn't mean that mathematics is less fundamental to human knowledge and education.

Furthermore there is also the question of whether mathematical reality, i.e. all that is logically conceivable regardless of whether we can prove it (from string theory to euclidean geometry to theories yet discovered) is more fundamental than the particular reality we have found ourselves in. In this particular reality Gravitational constants are set to particular values like 6.67*10-34 and the number of dimensions is 3. Mathematics abstracts beyond such things, and gives rise to subjects like string theory where the number of dimensions reaches 60-70.

I think that Maths is the most fundamental, and ok this sort of debate does encourage statements like "Yeah, yeah, my subject is much more fundamental than yours" but overall I think it's an interesting question to ask.
(edited 12 years ago)
Maths --> Philosophy --> Neuroscience / Physics --> Computer Science
Original post by Llamageddon
The Language of Philosophy

Or, conversely, this.

Yeah, I did say it wasn't foolproof and there would be exceptions, but oh well.
Reply 66
Original post by Blutooth
Maths clearly does have a foundation: the axioms. There are statements that are taken to be true, whether they are self-evident or not. These axioms are valid so long as they do not cause paradoxes to occur within the system. It is from these statements that the rest of the edifice is constructed in mathematics. For instance, in euclidean geometry there is the axiom that parallel lines never cross. Of course space-time in reality is non-euclidean, and this is far from self-evident, however that is unimportant and irrelevant to euclidean geometry which is an axiomatic system that does not contradict itself.

no, no, no, a thousand times no. the axioms for euclidean space come from our physical intuition of the properties 'space' should have.

axioms don't just come out of thin air, you know.
Reply 67

Fun Fact: Starting on any Wikipedia page at all, if you click the first link that isn't in brackets/quotation marks and keep following these links, you eventually get to the page 'Philosophy'. Works almost every time.

Almost got into a cycle but realised I'd mis-clicked. Got there from Juan Mata.
Languages (English, or whatever your native language is)? Without the ability to read, understand and respond, there's not much you can do.
Original post by DebatingGreg
Or, conversely, this.

Yeah, I did say it wasn't foolproof and there would be exceptions, but oh well.
I was going to go onto the philosophy of language and just loop it with ctrl v spam.

I decided against it.
Reply 70
Original post by around
no, no, no, a thousand times no. the axioms for euclidean space come from our physical intuition of the properties 'space' should have.

axioms don't just come out of thin air, you know.

I agree that we have discovered the rules for this particular mathematical game come from physical intuition, however that does not mean to say the game can't exist without us having discovered it.

It's like a game of chess. We learn how to play it through seeing someone else play it in physical reality, but that doesn't mean the game and it's abstract rules didn't exist in a rule book, before we saw it being played, before we discovered it. Also we can abstract beyond the images, and do Euclidean geometry in just algebra. So Euclidean geometry seems to exist independently of our physical reality. Yes, I am a Platonist :biggrin:, and I believe Maths describes the objects of this Platonic realm- the rule book if you will.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Yacine Abed
Languages (English, or whatever your native language is)? Without the ability to read, understand and respond, there's not much you can do.
Physical Education.
Reply 72
I agree that we have discovered the rules for this particular mathematical game come from physical intuition, however that does not mean to say the game can't exist without us having discovered it.

It's like a game of chess. We learn how to play it through seeing someone else play it in physical reality, but that doesn't mean the game and it's abstract rules didn't exist in a rule book, before we saw it being played, before we discovered it. Also we can abstract beyond the images, and do Euclidean geometry in just algebra. So Euclidean geometry seems to exist independently of our physical reality. Yes, I am a Platonist, and I believe Maths describes the objects of this Platonic realm- the rule book if you will. :smile:

Ok, so maybe mathematics exists independently of humans, but this doesn't explain how mathematics is the most fundamental subject (except maybe in relation to itself).

Or, in other words, mathematics is its own foundation and nothing else.

(also, the whole 'mathematics-as-a-game' language was mainly pushed by supporters of Hilbert-style formalism, which is very much the antithesis of Platonism)
Reply 73
Original post by around
Ok, so maybe mathematics exists independently of humans, but this doesn't explain how mathematics is the most fundamental subject (except maybe in relation to itself).

Or, in other words, mathematics is its own foundation and nothing else.

(also, the whole 'mathematics-as-a-game' language was mainly pushed by supporters of Hilbert-style formalism, which is very much the antithesis of Platonism)

Well, it seems like the axioms governing physical reality are just one subset of consistent axioms that can exist within the realm of pure forms, so to me maths seems more fundamental than physical reality. Again Plato said we were just shadows, flickering on the wall of a cave, of a more fundamental reality. And I subscribe to this view, especially when I abstract myself from this world to consider what a universe would be like in 4 or more dimensions, or if the cosmological constants differed or if there might be a multi-verse. Perhaps even these universes could sustain life which could contemplate mathematical reality, though the geometries of their universes might be different.

And anyway, applied maths is used in all scientific subjects- so I must say maths again seems more fundamental.

With regards to your last point, u've discovered an inconsistency in my axiomatic world view :wink: perhaps u could patch things up for me? Formalists=Logicists, right? I realise by godel that there will always be true statements unprovable by our mathematical systems, but as a Platonist I have no problem consigning these true statements to a Platonic world, which is hidden from even the most powerful telescopes of modern mathematical proof/ argument. Perhaps we can get there one day with a vastly different set of mathematical tools, or perhaps we can't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Well, it seems like the axioms governing physical reality are just one subset of consistent axioms that can exist within the realm of pure forms, so to me maths seems more fundamental than physical reality. Again Plato said we were just shadows of a more fundamental reality, flickering on the wall of a cave. And I subscribe to this view, especially when I abstract myself from this world to consider what a universe would be like in4 or more dimensions, or if the cosmological constants differed. Perhaps even these universes could sustain life which could contemplate mathematical reality.

And anyway, applied maths is used in all scientific subjects- so I must say maths again seems more fundamental.

With regards to your last point, u've discovered an inconsistency in my axiomatic world view :wink: perhaps u could patch things up for me? Formalists=Logicists, right? I realise by godel that there will always be true statements unprovable by our mathematical systems, but as a Platonist I have no problem consigning these true statements to a Platonic world, which is unseeable even by the most powerful telescopes of modern mathematics.

Isn't it telling, however, that we don't consider all possible rules, and that the vast majority of axiom sets, we consider, even in 'pure maths', are those motivated by 'physical' example?

Once you start applying maths to the physical world, all kinds of new philosophical problems crop up. There is no such thing as a pure number three, so how can we use number to describe actual concrete physical reality? Answer: because our concept of number was motivated by physical reality . Arguably, the physical world came before maths ontologically.

Formalism is the concept that mathematical symbols don't have any inherent meaning and mathematics is just a game we play according to certain rules (the axioms we 'create'). Platonism/realism is the view that there is a mathematical world out there and our axioms are just our best attempts to capture objective mathematical reality.

Tried it on about 4 random pages and it worked each time, really didn't think it would!

Original post by Mr Ben
Edit: I am really interested to know how this is worthy of neg rep, whoever did it please let me know, my curiosity is getting the better of me

One of the things I dislike more than any other on this site is people who care so much about rep they bother to edit posts to complain they got neg rep. Does it really matter that much to you?
Reply 76
Original post by around
Isn't it telling, however, that we don't consider all possible rules, and that the vast majority of axiom sets, we consider, even in 'pure maths', are those motivated by 'physical' example?

Once you start applying maths to the physical world, all kinds of new philosophical problems crop up. There is no such thing as a pure number three, so how can we use number to describe actual concrete physical reality? Answer: because our concept of number was motivated by physical reality . Arguably, the physical world came before maths ontologically.

Formalism is the concept that mathematical symbols don't have any inherent meaning and mathematics is just a game we play according to certain rules (the axioms we 'create'). Platonism/realism is the view that there is a mathematical world out there and our axioms are just our best attempts to capture objective mathematical reality.

I believe, as would most modern platonists, that we learn of mathematics through experiences in this world. i.e by learning to count 3 oranges but that these mathematical objects are entities beyond the proofs through which we discover them.

Here is a relevant diagram from Penrose's book. It suggests that the Platonic, mental and real world are linked in the following way:
Our thoughts on concepts like the no. 3 help us access the platonic world of forms, which contains structures like the mandlebrot set beyond our imagining and also structures that do not fit into our particular world (eg. euclidean geometry), and in turn through simplifications etc help us do useful things with maths like build planes.

On the webpage scroll down to the bit just above the diagram. Quite a good few summarising paragraphs on my take of things.
Reply 77

ahhh what that actually works, freaky. i started with 'skittles' and thought no way was that going to happen. buuut it did.
Reply 78

Haha that is fantastic, positive rep for you good sir!
Reply 79
Original post by Happydude

Maths probably, but since I'm not fantastic at it I'm going to say philosophy!

Probably the logic for most people who've said "Philosophy".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending