The Student Room Group

Edexcel Astronomy GCSE 28/05/2012 PM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 566
How do you guys know what the grade boundaries are? Does it say them anywhere? The Edexcel website is sooooo bad!
Also, good luck! I'm doing it too.

google them with the exam code, it's about 75% or it was last year for an A* :tongue: Let the revision begin !!! Good luck guys :biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by sahajkaur
google them with the exam code, it's about 75% or it was last year for an A* :tongue: Let the revision begin !!! Good luck guys :biggrin:

Haha yep! How'd did you find out about last years? And do you mean 75% on the exam paper? And what's the exam code for it? :P
I've got 7 exams next week, but the one I'm most worried for is my mechanics and statistics paper!! I aim to get astronomy done today, then past papers today and tomorrow!
Only the weekend left guys :s-smilie: How's everyone's revision coming along?
Reply 83
Original post by Dandaman9999

Good. I only have 4 units left to do, then some maths questions and then proper past papers.

HOW DOES EVERYONE KNOW THAT LAST YEAR WAS 75 % FOR AN A*!?!??

havent started yet had tonnes of exams this week so just gonna chill for a bit then revise astrnomy on saturday and sunday :smile:
Original post by 566
Haha yep! How'd did you find out about last years? And do you mean 75% on the exam paper? And what's the exam code for it? :P
I've got 7 exams next week, but the one I'm most worried for is my mechanics and statistics paper!! I aim to get astronomy done today, then past papers today and tomorrow!

i dont know my friend showed by and I think overall its 75% :smile:
Original post by 566
Good. I only have 4 units left to do, then some maths questions and then proper past papers.

I swear there are only 4 units in the whole syllabus :s-smilie:

Original post by sahajkaur
havent started yet had tonnes of exams this week so just gonna chill for a bit then revise astrnomy on saturday and sunday :smile:

Yeah same, too much work for other subjects! But I've got physics and business too next week so I need to start astronomy today :frown:
Reply 86
I swear there are only 4 units in the whole syllabus :s-smilie:

Yeah same, too much work for other subjects! But I've got physics and business too next week so I need to start astronomy today :frown:

There are 4 topics that each have around 4 units in them :tongue:
At least, that's how I think of it.
Original post by 566
There are 4 topics that each have around 4 units in them :tongue:
At least, that's how I think of it.

Ah right I get it :lol: if you put it like that I've still got 16 units to go :frown: really should start strictly now...
I'm doing Astronomy GCSE too! It's so interesting!
My mate and I had to self-teach as our school has never done this GCSE before so they had no teacher and we were really eager to do this GCSE.
However we did have a 'teacher' as such for the coursework, he was a basically a French teacher who carried an interest in Astronomy and just sat in a room with us at lunchtimes. He marked it just by looking at the mark scheme!

I got 33/40 for the coursework, kinda happy with that, as it should be an A but I really want an A*! :indiff:

Anyhoo, it's CRAMMIN' TIME! :nutcase:
Reply 89
Hey guys, I'm pretty worried for the exam cause I'm like most if you and only have done this as an extra GCSE! Does anyone happen to know what we need to know about the Van Allen belts?
Reply 90
Looked it up some time ago from the edexcel site
Original post by Niema20
Does anyone happen to know what we need to know about the Van Allen belts?

Don't worry, you don't need to know too much about them.
I'd say just remember that the inner radiation belt contains high-energy protons and the outer radiation belt contains mainly electrons. :h:
Original post by boumavilla
I'm doing Astronomy GCSE too! It's so interesting!
My mate and I had to self-teach as our school has never done this GCSE before so they had no teacher and we were really eager to do this GCSE.
However we did have a 'teacher' as such for the coursework, he was a basically a French teacher who carried an interest in Astronomy and just sat in a room with us at lunchtimes. He marked it just by looking at the mark scheme!

I got 33/40 for the coursework, kinda happy with that, as it should be an A but I really want an A*! :indiff:

Anyhoo, it's CRAMMIN' TIME! :nutcase:

Welcome :biggrin: I'm cramming now too :colondollar: do you think you're ready for the exam??
Reply 93
Hi guys,

Just wondering whether anyone else on TSR is taking Astronomy GCSE from Edexcel? :smile: what resources are you using to revise?

wow...I had no idea there was an Astronomy GCSE! I would of loved to do it :frown:
Hi guys,

Just wondering whether anyone else on TSR is taking Astronomy GCSE from Edexcel? :smile: what resources are you using to revise?

hahhaha is that lyk looking through telescopes n **** hahahaha
Original post by tigerz
wow...I had no idea there was an Astronomy GCSE! I would of loved to do it :frown:

There is :smile: it's quite interesting but also difficult (IMO) and time-consuming for the controlled assessment but I guess it gives you a break from the usual school subjects :wink:
Original post by InternetGangster
hahhaha is that lyk looking through telescopes n **** hahahaha

Well, that's a very subjective way to look at it... It's much much more complicated than you think
I think it should be fine the astronomy doesn't have a big syllabus and the grade boundary for the a* is about 75% so we pull that off easily in the exam. I have not even touched it yet guys, I'm going to relax today then do it over the weekend even though I have many exams next week but anyway haha XD Don't stress people, how did you do on cw?
Well, that's a very subjective way to look at it... It's much much more complicated than you think

I'm just kidding, sounds fun.
Welcome :biggrin: I'm cramming now too :colondollar: do you think you're ready for the exam??

So so :s-smilie:
Because I think I'd be fine for an A, which would be great! But I just really want an A* as I'm likely to be doing Astronomy at uni! :rock:
So I'm probably not ready really, I have written out pure facts on two A4 sheets of paper just simply to LEARN! Haven't started to learn them yet though, I'll do that on the weekend.
And I've done both of the past papers that are there, I'm not going to do any from the old spec because they'll have stuff that I don't know so I might panic and start wasting time on learning the things that aren't going to come up in our exam! :facepalm:
How about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending