The Student Room Group

did zidane have any flaws?

he can header, finish, keep possession, pass, dribble, take penaulties, take corners, take freekicks, skill up players, his positioning was perfect, had good body strength, never dived (stayed on his feet whenever he could) etc.

messi can't header, he can't skill up players (just dribbles past em), can't carry a team.

people will say messi doesn't need to be able to header or carry his team because barcelona don't play that way. well well well, it's no surprise he's useless outside of barcelona then. as opposed to zidane who brought success to every team he played for, he was a true team player.

i guess the one thing you could say about zidane was he wasn't fast, but that credits him more than anything. the way he played didn't require pace because he was almost impossible to dispossess anyway.

Desailly - "There is no way to stop him. There is no secret to Zizou"

Marcelo Lippi - "You never needed to tell him anything as he did it all by himself"

Carlo Ancelotti - "Remembering Zidane is how I brought success Chelsea " (when Chelsea had a good start to the season)

Carlo Ancelotti - "Zidane is the footballer who has made me enjoy my life the most, a living spectacle that needs to be seen every day. Training was his passion and ours as well. He would invent and we would watch. You admire him."

does anyone disagree with me when i say Zidane was flawless? if so, what were his flaws? he came out of retirement and carried france to the WC06 final, this was his performance:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
His lack of hair is probably a glaring fault :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by Zerforax
His lack of hair is probably a glaring fault :colondollar:
dude what are you talking about? the baldpatch was epic
Reply 3
Short temper?

No matter how good a player he was, and no matter the circuimstances that lead to this, he will always be remembered for this incident. A lifetime of greatness tainted with 10 seconds of insanity.
Temper issues... ?!

[video="youtube;zAjWi663kXc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjWi663kXc[/video]

EDIT: Seems someone got there first... :wink:
Messi can't carry a team? Have you watched Barca this season. He single handedly earnt Barca 3 points last night despite playing terrible by his standards.
Reply 7
Original post by tittyMilk

messi can't header, he can't skill up players (just dribbles past em), can't carry a team.

Massive mega lol.

Messi has scored quite a few headers (Recall the last CL final?). And he could have scored many more if Barça played that way.

He can't skill up players? No comments.

He can't carry his team? He wins half of the games himself!

:facepalm:
I dont believe what happened in WC 06 should taint his career.
Fantastic player, I just loved the galactico years at Madrid.
my fave players all in one dream team: zizou, Ronaldo, becks, raul, roberto carlos

sure beats cristiano, ozil, kaka and benzema
Reply 9
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn

No matter how good a player he was, and no matter the circuimstances that lead to this, he will always be remembered for this incident. A lifetime of greatness tainted with 10 seconds of insanity.
come on bro you can't judge a player based on one off-the-ball incident

that headbutt was the perfect end to his career imo, it had legend written all over it. the whole of france forgave him for that. you could see how they struggled to see off the last 10 mins of extra time without him

he explains everything here btw if you haven't seen it already:

Original post by JaggySnake95
Messi can't carry a team? Have you watched Barca this season. He single handedly earnt Barca 3 points last night despite playing terrible by his standards.
i have.. messi doesn't consistently carry his team though, ZZ carried every team he played for in every match he played in
I was just about to mention the epic headbutt
(edited 12 years ago)
Pace?

only watched him from around 2003 onwards, but he never struck me as a speedy type
Reply 12
Whenever I think of Zidane, the volley against leverkuson comes to mind!

that headbutt was the perfect end to his career imo, it had legend written all over it. the whole of france forgave him for that. you could see how they struggled to see off the last 10 mins of extra time without him

he explains everything here btw if you haven't seen it already:

i have.. messi doesn't consistently carry his team though, ZZ carried every team he played for in every match he played in

I'm not judging him, I was just pointing out he will always be remembered for this. Of course his glorious career will be remembered too, but all this will never be forgotten either.
Reply 14
Original post by Victor-PP
Massive mega lol.

Messi has scored quite a few headers (Recall the last CL final?). And he could have scored many more if Barça played that way.
he didn't score a header in the last CL final, and i doubt it. messi isn't exactly strong in the air, he's too weak. all you have to do is poke him and he'll create a face-shaped dent in the pitch

He can't skill up players? No comments.
he can't.. he just dribbles past em

He can't carry his team? He wins half of the games himself!
running through players and scoring a goal isn't 'carrying a team'. why isn't he carrying argentina?

carrying a team is about having total dominance over how they play. its about being the focal point of everything; instigating every attack, being involved in everything that happens in the football pitch, being the guy that your teammates pass to whenever they're in trouble

btw i replied to other peoples' posts too, just waiting for a mod to approve it
(edited 12 years ago)
I think his heading was his strongest asset.

The WC06 final proved that.
Reply 16
Original post by internet tough guy
Pace?

only watched him from around 2003 onwards, but he never struck me as a speedy type
yeah that's the only thing i could think of

but doesn't that make him a better player? what happens if you take messi's pace away from him and make him as slow as ZZ?

in my opinion the fact that he was impossible to dispossess and made the correct decisions every time he was on the ball makes up for the pace. you could have theo walcott chasing zidane down and zidane would still get the better side of him
Reply 17
I miss that generation of footballers massively, when it wasn't all about one great player (Messi)... You had Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Batistuta, Ballack etc etc etc... Such a great time! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Mero8
I miss that generation of footballers massively, when it wasn't all about one great player (Messi)... You had Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Batistuta, Ballack etc etc etc... Such a great time! :smile:
don't forget THIIEEEERY

edit: or bergkamp
Reply 19

That's a damning indictment if ever I heard one.

As a footballer....great. He went out at the very top. Best of his vintage.....certainly better than fat Ronaldo.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest