The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

distance worry!

Right, i live in surrey and so Lancaster is like a 5 hour drive away, but i really loved the campus and the whole feel of the place. I am just a bit worried as it would mean i couldnt really go home for weekends etc and that i might feel isolated being so far away from where ive lived for so long and so making the whole going to uni bit slightly more scary!

I was just wondering if any1 on here or any1 you know might have been in a similar situation and how they found going to a uni which was a fair distance away from where they live. thanx
Reply 1
spenza88
Right, i live in surrey and so Lancaster is like a 5 hour drive away, but i really loved the campus and the whole feel of the place. I am just a bit worried as it would mean i couldnt really go home for weekends etc and that i might feel isolated being so far away from where ive lived for so long and so making the whole going to uni bit slightly more scary!

I was just wondering if any1 on here or any1 you know might have been in a similar situation and how they found going to a uni which was a fair distance away from where they live. thanx

hehe 5 hour drive? Consider yourself lucky. I live in the middle of Sweden. It will defiantely take me an entire day to get to Lancaster. That doesn't stop me though:smile:

Definately come to Lancaster seeing as you already like the place.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Once you're here after the first couple of weeks you'll love it so much you probably won't think about going home!! But even if you do the trains are good with cutting some journey time down. Takes me 2 and a half hours to get home and i've been back 3 times this term so far. I wouldnt worry about the distance so long as you like the place you're going to you'll feel comfortable enough here not to let going home bother you! x
I only live an hour away but I like it so much that I never want to leave :tongue:
Reply 4
Im originally from East London and i wasnt really worried about the distance but partly coz i wanted to get as far away from London as i could! now im here its not that bad a journeyif i do ever want to go home (which i dont!). its about 3 hours to London by train and costs as little as £20 depending on how early you book. But even wen i bought a ticket on the same day it only cost £40 so... hope that helps

beigel
x
Reply 5
Hey,
I live in Germany because my dads in the British army, and my parents love it so much they are gunna live here while im at uni, it'll would take me about 14hrs to drive home, but luckily, there are trains and planes hehe. My extended family live in Barrow-in-Furness(where i was born) so if i come to lancaster it will only take me an hour on the train if i want to go 'home'!!! which is about 6 pounds, so i can spend more on drink lol!

Is there anyone else out there in the same situation as me e.g. coming over from Germany???
Any PPL hoping to study Criminology and sociology?
Reply 6
StaceYY
Hey, Any PPL hoping to study Criminology and sociology?

I study them both. :smile:
Reply 7
hey thanx for ur replies every1. As uve all sed its not that bad its making my decision harder for me! i dunno where to go! arrghh lol
Reply 8
StaceYY
Hey,
I live in Germany because my dads in the British army, and my parents love it so much they are gunna live here while im at uni, it'll would take me about 14hrs to drive home, but luckily, there are trains and planes hehe. My extended family live in Barrow-in-Furness(where i was born) so if i come to lancaster it will only take me an hour on the train if i want to go 'home'!!! which is about 6 pounds, so i can spend more on drink lol!

Is there anyone else out there in the same situation as me e.g. coming over from Germany???
Any PPL hoping to study Criminology and sociology?

hey, 14 hours is a lot bt i know what you mean.......my mum n dad are goin to be living in france while i'm at uni but i'll still have family about an hour away, so i'm sure we'll all be fine.Plus i bet we won't even want to go home once we get settled in hehe..... can't wait to go now actually!. see you there.
lv em xxx
Reply 9
lilem5588
hey, 14 hours is a lot bt i know what you mean.......my mum n dad are goin to be living in france while i'm at uni but i'll still have family about an hour away, so i'm sure we'll all be fine.Plus i bet we won't even want to go home once we get settled in hehe..... can't wait to go now actually!. see you there.
lv em xxx

Hey, i know, i say now i mite get homesick but i really cant wait to get there! i'll never wanna go home... just hope i get the grades...hopefully see ya there 2 x:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending