Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Losing Fat (and improving health) is Easy... we have been lied to :) My Story

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    To be fair, we're not "lied to" as such. Everybody knows that if you eat less and move more you'll lose weight. No need for any magic pill, special/fad diet or anything like that, just simple maths and common sense.
    Yet, whenever you go shopping, there's always 20 different low fat varieties (unsuprisingly sugar laden) slap bang at eye level to make sure it's the first thing that people go for? People automatically think just because it says low fat, it's perfectly ok to have one or two helpings - yet wonder why they crash and burn a few moments later and need to snack even more. We're being constantly bombarded with poor nutritional advice on tv and radio whether it's in the form of advertisement ("healthy" chlolesterol lowering products, or cereal bars "which are slow energy releasing"??) to god awful programs like supersize vs superskinny / diet doctor?

People still look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them i take my food with butter or that I eat 5-6 eggs a day.

But it's people's WILLPOWER that comes into question, not the method o f getting fit. We all know what to do, it's just a question of whether we can all be bothered to do it.
    To be fair, a person only has so much willpower. It zaps a lot of energy and if you're a young couple/single parent etc working numerous hours a week, you just don't have a lot left eh. Plus, it's quite hard to fight cravings etc, considering just how much money big companies like Cadburys and Mcvities fire into Research and Development, to make foods so palatable and rewarding that you just have to keep coming back to it. Its funny how it's always the junk food which is on offer too, never meats or vegetables.

Calorie counting does work. But you can't honestly say 500 calories from a tiny serving of sugary ice cream will have the same effect as 500 calories from potatoes on satiety and mood.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLaZeDRas)
    Really? Yes, eventually they will lose the fat... but not before losing a gigantic amount of muscle unless it is done in a very specific manor. Not to mention the nutrient deficiencies they may already have from a poor diet prior to the intervention. This is a recipe for disaster in most people... I know you are using this as an example but it is a worthless one. Its the same as saying why not give people cancer, that creates wasting away in people? You are not addressing the actual problem you are creating more and masking the one that you think you are treating.
    Obviously I'm not advocating starvation, it was to demonstrate that it IS a simple matter of mathematics, and no it's nothing akin to suggesting that people are given cancer, that's ludicrous. I realise that starvation is not a healthy way to lose weight, but a calorie controlled diet (and I'm not talking about an extreme calorie controlled diet here, just one that gives enough of a deficit to lose say a pound a week, which is agreed by medical professionals to be a perfectly safe amount to lose) is a perfectly valid way of losing weight and is nothing like starvation.

Unfortunately you can't seem to grasp this concept. You're so adamant that your Paleo diet is the be-all and end-all that you're ignoring the perfectly obvious fact that other people manage to lose weight perfectly well by doing something other than your miraculous diet!

I think you're being quite obtuse about this. Your diet might work fine, true enough, but you need to understand that it is NOT the only way to lose weight! Plain simple calorie counting is not a fad and it does work very well for some people, myself and Angel_K included, so it can hardly be dismissed as nothing more than a lie when the results speak for themselves!
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Calorie counting does work. But you can't honestly say 500 calories from a tiny serving of sugary ice cream will have the same effect as 500 calories from potatoes on satiety and mood.

These are only 170 cals each and they aren't tiny - if you fancy some ice cream they hit the spot excellently. There are a lot of treats that are totally fine to work into a calorie controlled diet. Counting calories doesn't mean living on lettuce leaves and staring longingly at forbidden goodies you know.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

These are only 170 cals each and they aren't tiny - if you fancy some ice cream they hit the spot excellently. There are a lot of treats that are totally fine to work into a calorie controlled diet. Counting calories doesn't mean living on lettuce leaves and staring longingly at forbidden goodies you know.
    When have I implied that?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    You said that a tiny bit of ice cream would be 500 calories and couldn't possibly be satisfying - thus indicating that treats are pretty much a no-no in a low cal diet. I was demonstrating that this is not the case.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:

From reading your posts in this thread and several others, you really are a conderscending bitch.
    There was absolutely no need for that at all. She is one of the nicest people I've spoken to on this forum, which is more than will ever be said about you.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    There was absolutely no need for that at all. She is one of the nicest people I've spoken to on this forum, which is more than will ever be said about you.
    thanks hun *hugs*
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    I tried the paleo diet for 2 weeks, very very low carbs. Everyone was commenting on how slim I looked! The problem is is that it is very hard, I get painful head aches due to constantly being tired.
    Thats cause you're not getting enough carbs to sleep properly... carbs create serotonin, serotonin is needed for proper recovery during sleep.
    which is precisely why the paleo diet sucks.

you want a healthy diet, try eating the stuff that allows athletes to carry on how they do, every single one of them eats a high carb diet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You said that a tiny bit of ice cream would be 500 calories and couldn't possibly be satisfying - thus indicating that treats are pretty much a no-no in a low cal diet. I was demonstrating that this is not the case.
    I can't seem to find an ingredients list for it but I can only assume that it's made up of a whole selection of nutritionally void substances.

I doubt some people can just stop at one to be honest too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    well that's all very well and good, and I commend you for having lost so much weight, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to lose weight.

I've gone myself from 14 stone 3lbs, to 10 stone, by losing the first couple of stone doing the Alternate Day Diet, and the rest of the weight I've lost by counting calories.

My husband has gone from 33 stone 3lbs, to (so far) 25 stone 8lbs, purely by counting calories.

Different strokes for different folks.

Congrats on your weight loss though, you look fab.
    Your husband used to weigh more than 3 of me and I'm 6ft 1. Congratulations on the progress.

I think putting on (healthy) weight is definitely harder than losing weight. To lose weight all you need to do is cardio and restrict your diet.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to find an ingredients list for it but I can only assume that it's made up of a whole selection of nutritionally void substances.

It's an ice-cream, of course it's made up of nutritionally void substances.....but it's a treat, pretty much all treats are, unless you consider fruit and vegetables a treat. But nobody would stick to a diet that doesn't allow some treats from time to time. It's fine as part of a balanced diet - and calorie controlled diets can be exactly that if people actually put a little thought into it.

Some people maybe wouldn't stop at one (I hesitate to say 'couldn't', because 'wouldn't' is more accurate), but as I say they aren't small, they're akin to the size of a cornetto, I find one is quite ample really.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Low carb is amazing.

I currently eat SO MUCH FOOD but don't get fat. I eat proper food.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    Your husband used to weigh more than 3 of me and I'm 6ft 1. Congratulations on the progress.

I think putting on (healthy) weight is definitely harder than losing weight. To lose weight all you need to do is cardio and restrict your diet.
    thanks. It's a work in progress - obviously as he has so much weight to lose it's taking some time, but he's getting there
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Some people maybe wouldn't stop at one (I hesitate to say 'couldn't', because 'wouldn't' is more accurate)
    couldn't is perfectly accurate, there's chemicals in milk (and therefore all dairy products including icecream) that react in the body to form opiates (think heroin) dairy products are drugs, people get addicted to them, just try and find one person who when given a bowel of dry cereal doesn't pour milk on them.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Neither my husband nor I feel hungry with calorie counting to be honest. We don't see it as a "diet" at all really, just more a lifestyle change.
    may I ask how many calories you aim to eat per day when on the diet?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Yes, some people can't stop at one, how is that relevant?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks. It's a work in progress - obviously as he has so much weight to lose it's taking some time, but he's getting there
    Is there a 'target'? I know that a target could work both ways - it could either motivate the person or demotivate because they are still quite far away.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almasy)
    couldn't is perfectly accurate, there's chemicals in milk (and therefore all dairy products including icecream) that react in the body to form opiates (think heroin) dairy products are drugs, people get addicted to them, just try and find one person who when given a bowel of dry cereal doesn't pour milk on them.
    Just because they put milk in cereal doesn't mean they are addicted to it...:curious:

Couldn't isn't, because even alcoholics frequently can have periods of being sober, fighting to have a drink the whole time, but still not taking one...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmostChicGeek)
    Just because they put milk in cereal doesn't mean they are addicted to it...:curious:

Couldn't isn't, because even alcoholics frequently can have periods of being sober, fighting to have a drink the whole time, but still not taking one...
    They don't fight to not drink while they're drinking though do they? they fight when they wake up in the sewer passed out in a pile of their own vomit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmostChicGeek)
    Yes, some people can't stop at one, how is that relevant?
    Some people can't stop at one even if they are on a calorie controlled diet. Hence will either a) eat less nutritionally dense food and become poorly nourished to stay in their calorie allowance or b) eat more food and thus fail to lose weight and get even bigger altogether...

Also, are you trying to say food addictions don't exist?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.