Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Losing Fat (and improving health) is Easy... we have been lied to :) My Story

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Heeeey you two ));- Yes, its great for diabetics and auto-immune conditions like rosacea, great little story

I personally think while steady state running isn't great, if you only love running and you don't go absolutely marathon-esq on it then knock yourself out; its not too bad if you don't go nuts on it... the problem is everyone thinks marathon training is good for fitness

I personally prefer HIIT sprint work (rarely, tho I would like to make this once per week) with kettlebell weights (1-3 times per week for 5-15mins)... I would love to do the standard lifts with a barbell but I don't have one (not practical where I'm living right now) and aren't signed up to a gym at the moment.

I can attest to the tiredness thing... Gluten (wheat) makes me feel like very tired and like crap... but if I keep away from gluten, which I do 99.9999% of the time and as long as my sleep isn't crapped out like now (assignment deadlines... grrr) I feel amazing and have constant energy throughout the day regardless of meal frequency (just another great thing about this lifestyle, fasting is easy if you need to and hunger pangs are actually true hunger)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rufus_da_bear)
    Hey iv started it too, as my aunty whos diabetic started the diet and lost a stone without trying to loose weigh or ever being hungry. She basically went on the diet to stop feeling so tired all the time. And also her rosacea went away. Its going really well so far! I havnt been perfect, iv had dark chocolate and yogurt (though it was greek) which arnt the most amazing things... but iv lost 4 pounds in a week, and though im sure most of it will be water weight, iv never lost that much water weight in the first week of a diet before so its really encouraging and my stomach looks way less puffy. And also no more hunger unless im genuinly hungry!!

Whats your stance on running? mark apple guy says hiking/biking etc is better but iv always loved running. makes me feel relaxed. so i think im gonna carry on and just add some sprint work.
    Brilliant, another paleo convert! Dark chocolate is fine in moderation- it's full of antioxidants and as long as you choose a bar with high % of cocoa (I love lindt 90%- 2 for £2.50 in waitrose atm!) than it's fine to tuck in without feeling guilty. Dairy consumption is quite controversial in the paleo world. Some places say not at all, some say that it contains some good nutrition. Mark Sisson (from Mark's Daily Apple) says that it's fine (in moderation) as long as you can digest it. I personally get stomach cramps after eating dairy (butter is ok for me as the lactose content is very low) so I avoid it. I hope to one day be able to eat it, as I love greek yoghurt and berries!

Running is fine, as long as you really enjoy it and arent forcing yourself out of bed at the crack of dawn to go. It's also not recommended to run for miles ad miles (for reasons which Mark Sisson and i'm sure plenty others go into detail about.) Try and incorporate some sprints if you can, and give your body plenty of rest and protein afterwards. Let us know of your progress! How much weight/body fat are you hoping to lose?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jeez. What a thread to read through. Well done on weight loss.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo66)
    Brilliant, another paleo convert! Dark chocolate is fine in moderation- it's full of antioxidants and as long as you choose a bar with high % of cocoa (I love lindt 90%- 2 for £2.50 in waitrose atm!) than it's fine to tuck in without feeling guilty. Dairy consumption is quite controversial in the paleo world. Some places say not at all, some say that it contains some good nutrition. Mark Sisson (from Mark's Daily Apple) says that it's fine (in moderation) as long as you can digest it. I personally get stomach cramps after eating dairy (butter is ok for me as the lactose content is very low) so I avoid it. I hope to one day be able to eat it, as I love greek yoghurt and berries!

Running is fine, as long as you really enjoy it and arent forcing yourself out of bed at the crack of dawn to go. It's also not recommended to run for miles ad miles (for reasons which Mark Sisson and i'm sure plenty others go into detail about.) Try and incorporate some sprints if you can, and give your body plenty of rest and protein afterwards. Let us know of your progress! How much weight/body fat are you hoping to lose?
    Theres this dark chocolate in Sainsburys that 72% that I get at the moment, because it comes in a 40gram small packet so it stops me from eating a lot! But I also like the Lindt 85% and hopefully when I get more self control ill not eat the whole lot if i buy a bigger bar. ahhh shame there's no waitrose near me! thats cheap! I think my body is good with dairy because I have always been able to have loads of it with no problems, although I have reduced the amount I eat... For me its more of a personal experiment aswell, I want to see how the diet affects me because otherwise the opinions of other people are useless if you havn't tried it? I had kind prawns and avocado for lunch yum.

I do run for miles and miles ahaha about 5-7 usually... but I dont run fast and im sure im not going more than 75% of max heart rate. I can talk very easily. I do tabata style stuff sometimes with burpees and switch lunges but its hard haha. I might try do more though!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    on the dairy issue, most people find high quality raw dairy is much easier to tolerate. I regard pasteurized dairy (higher casein/lactose products such as milk/cheese as "processed" versions, though obviously they're not too bad if you can tolerate them)... I am much more lenient with the near-all fat dairy products and use cream/butter/ghee liberally whenever I do use them.

Those tabata body weight exercises are brilliant idd, I would see if you could add in some heavy lifting (kettlebells/dumbells- barbell preferentially but most of us don't have access to one including me so I just use my kettlebells)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like to add that my auntie, uncle, their dogs (yes, pets can go on a more natural diet for themselves like raw meat mainly based), my sisters and my mother are all on it because of the dramatic different (their words) in my health, energy and of course the weight loss... I am still trying to get my grandma (who has Alzheimer's disease) to eat more coconut oil and/or go paleo as there is a lot of evidence and some amazing anecdotal stories of it dramatically improving that situation.

My auntie and uncle only started it a few months ago after seeing me for the first time in quite a few months and have both lost 2-3 stone I believe by this point and notice feeling like crap if they "go off" a little (which is understandable with the stress my family has had recently as well as modern life, you can't always avoid things ^^)...

their dogs have vastly improved their health/appetite (one of them was not eating and very ill)

Both of my sisters relay that they feel much better without wheat etc in their diets. The only problem is because they are busy (or I'm just a nerd with too much time to look at this stuff all the time) they don't get into the details as much as me and tend to not be quite as strict all the time; though I am very proud of them all and they are all doing excellent .

My mother who has had gum disease for over 10 years has been doing paleo but has been eating gluten-free grain products but is about to plunge herself deeper into the paleo stuff since I have given her some tips to treat it (cut grains, supplement with a couple of things like HVBO and fermented cod liver oil, oil pull with coconut oil)

So i know results are usually what spurr on, but these anecdotal stories are great and I am very happy a lot of my family have gotten interested in it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLaZeDRas)
    I'd also like to add that my auntie, uncle, their dogs (yes, pets can go on a more natural diet for themselves like raw meat mainly based), my sisters and my mother are all on it because of the dramatic different (their words) in my health, energy and of course the weight loss... I am still trying to get my grandma (who has Alzheimer's disease) to eat more coconut oil and/or go paleo as there is a lot of evidence and some amazing anecdotal stories of it dramatically improving that situation.

My auntie and uncle only started it a few months ago after seeing me for the first time in quite a few months and have both lost 2-3 stone I believe by this point and notice feeling like crap if they "go off" a little (which is understandable with the stress my family has had recently as well as modern life, you can't always avoid things ^^)...

their dogs have vastly improved their health/appetite (one of them was not eating and very ill)

Both of my sisters relay that they feel much better without wheat etc in their diets. The only problem is because they are busy (or I'm just a nerd with too much time to look at this stuff all the time) they don't get into the details as much as me and tend to not be quite as strict all the time; though I am very proud of them all and they are all doing excellent .

My mother who has had gum disease for over 10 years has been doing paleo but has been eating gluten-free grain products but is about to plunge herself deeper into the paleo stuff since I have given her some tips to treat it (cut grains, supplement with a couple of things like HVBO and fermented cod liver oil, oil pull with coconut oil)

So i know results are usually what spurr on, but these anecdotal stories are great and I am very happy a lot of my family have gotten interested in it.

That's fantastic news, that you've managed to get so many people on board! My mum's eating paleo as well, but she doesn't eat any meat or fowl, only fish, and still occasionally eats gluten free bread. I'm doing my best to preach the benefits of paleo to everyone I know. I've been strictly paleo for two weeks now, but I was on a diet to rid myself of Candida for several months before then, which is very similar in what you can eat but more restricted, so the switch to paleo was very easy. I'd love to get my dad and grandparents on board, as they all have minor health issues which could probably be resolved or improved through a change in diet.

I've already noticed lots of changes in myself. My energy levels are a lot better, my skin is really really smooth and i've already lost some weight (not sure how much as i'm ony measure bf%) I'm having problems with my skin breakouts at the moment (which is a side effect of the candida and being ill) so i'm really hoping that will clear up. I'm taking zinc and vit B supplements so hopefully a couple of weeks will see that gone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo66)
    That's fantastic news, that you've managed to get so many people on board! My mum's eating paleo as well, but she doesn't eat any meat or fowl, only fish, and still occasionally eats gluten free bread. I'm doing my best to preach the benefits of paleo to everyone I know. I've been strictly paleo for two weeks now, but I was on a diet to rid myself of Candida for several months before then, which is very similar in what you can eat but more restricted, so the switch to paleo was very easy. I'd love to get my dad and grandparents on board, as they all have minor health issues which could probably be resolved or improved through a change in diet.

I've already noticed lots of changes in myself. My energy levels are a lot better, my skin is really really smooth and i've already lost some weight (not sure how much as i'm ony measure bf%) I'm having problems with my skin breakouts at the moment (which is a side effect of the candida and being ill) so i'm really hoping that will clear up. I'm taking zinc and vit B supplements so hopefully a couple of weeks will see that gone.
    Aye, tbh most of them didn't really start doing it until I had such awesome results down the line and I didn't need to "preach it" they just kind of started asking questions or said "that's it I'm doing what you are doing" which was nice... though one of my sisters basically started when I did... but she wasn't overweight or anything

Energy levels being constant when sleep is in order is my favorite thing about it... hated feeling so tired randomly all the time whether I fasted or ate

Were you on GAPS protocol for candida or something? Heard a lot about candida on the podcasts etc

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 21, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.