Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Labour peer suspended after he 'offered £10m for capture of Obama and Bush'

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seems abit harsh to me..What do people think? is Barack Obama a war criminal?

Spoiler:
    Show

A Labour peer suspended from the party after accusations he called for a £10m bounty for the capture of US Presidents Obama and Bush has denied the claims.

Lord Ahmed is reported to have made the call after the US offered a $10m bounty for the conviction of the founder of a Pakistani-based militant group.

But Lord Ahmed denied offering a bounty, saying he was talking about "war crimes" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Labour Party said if the comments were true they "utterly condemn" them.

Lord Ahmed's alleged remarks, published in the Express Tribune newspaper, were said to have been made in response to an announcement from Washington earlier this month of a $10m bounty for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Hafiz Saeed, the founder of the Pakistani-based Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group.

The Indian government blames Mr Saeed and his organisation of carrying out several militant attacks on its territory, including the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

The international community is rightly doing all in its power to seek justice for the victims of the Mumbai bombings and halt terrorism”

Labour party spokeswoman

Lord Ahmed, according to the Express Tribune, said: "If the US can announce a reward of $10m for the captor of Hafiz Saeed, I can announce a bounty of £10m on President Obama and his predecessor George Bush."
    Labour investigation

The paper adds that the peer went on to say "he would arrange the bounty at any cost even if he was left with the option of selling all his personal assets, including his house."

The paper said the comments were made at a reception arranged in his honour by the business community of Haripur, Pakistan, on Friday.

A Labour Party spokeswoman told the BBC: "We have suspended Lord Ahmed pending investigation.

"If these comments are accurate we utterly condemn these remarks which are totally unacceptable.

"The international community is rightly doing all in its power to seek justice for the victims of the Mumbai bombings and halt terrorism."
    War crime allegations

According to Lord Ahmed on Sunday night, Labour party officials had not contacted him before announcing the suspension.

"They have suspended me? That's a surprise to me. I did not know," he told the Press Association.

Asked about the reported comments, he said: "I never said those words.

"I did not offer a bounty. I said that there have been war crimes committed in Iraq and Afghanistan and those people who have got strong allegations against them - George W Bush and Tony Blair have been involved in illegal wars and should be brought to justice.

"I do not think there's anything wrong with that."

He added: "If the Labour Party want to suspend me I will deal with the Labour Party. They will have to give me some evidence."

In 2009, Lord Ahmed was jailed after he was caught sending and receiving text messages at the wheel, minutes before he was involved in a fatal crash on the M1.

He was released after serving 16 days when the Court of Appeal decided his prison sentence should be suspended.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Pakistan’s Express Tribune newspaper said Lord Ahmed had made the remarks at a reception in Haripur on Friday"

So did he say it? He is now hotly denying it now.

Could be the old Muslim trick of Taqiyya.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ***I hereby offer £1 billion for the capture of David Cameron. Bonuses shall be awarded for Nick Clegg and Ed Milliband. Wanted alive!***

Does that mean I now go to jail?

LOL, politics. Them panicking over what was clearly a joke and could never possibly happen.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Either way hopefully now we'll be able to get rid of him. He's been promoting cultural relativism for ages. He is also known to support pakistani terrorism, particularly against India. He's trash, clearly.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.