The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Are there many free wifi services in Ningbo?

Hi, Is it easy to find free wifi services outside the campus in Ningbo?
Reply 1
"Ningbo" sounds like somewhere deeeep in Africa so I would guess no.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Sorry I meant Ningbo in China.
Reply 3
Don't take my word for this, but I think the same wireless networks run in Ningbo as on the Uk campuses.

You should be able to connect to UNNC-Secure quite easily; there should be an insecure network for guests/visitors. :smile:

I don't think eduroam operates over there, although now that I've realised, I might mention it.
Reply 4
I've taken modules there, there is a campus wide wireless network but out of campus there isn't any that can be used.

One thing for sure, the internet connection there will test you patience :tongue:
Reply 5
Thanks. How about getting free wifi services in public areas such as Wanda World Mall and Sunday Plaza? At least in the UK, we can gain access to the internet for free at McDonald's.
Reply 6
Original post by studenthp
Thanks. How about getting free wifi services in public areas such as Wanda World Mall and Sunday Plaza? At least in the UK, we can gain access to the internet for free at McDonald's.

You can get it in places like McDonald's, but it means filling out a form for the People's Republic of China, data collection. You get something like 30 minutes of free wi-fi then. If you're fine handing your personal deets over to the PRC, then sure; the same goes for other free wi-fi hotspots really.

You could get a mobile Internet plan when you arrive, but I'm not sure how popular/good they are in China.
It was quite difficult to find wi-fi outside of UNNC. If you really need it, get an android device that can tether it's 3G signal to make it into a wireless router. That way you can have wi-fi wherever you go. That's what I did, they gave us a phone with the internet package you have to get at the beginning that could do just that.

Is there any reason why you need to have wifi away from UNNC? I did the majority of my studying on campus. The wi-fi on campus before i left was in all class rooms and the library as well as the Robin Hood restaurant. There was wi-fi in the common room but it disappeared during the year. There's wi-fi in the international dormitory however you need that phone i was talking about earlier to use it. The internet situation is a bit of joke to be honest! Hopefully they have improved it by the time i get back!
Reply 8
Original post by sexbo
"Ningbo" sounds like somewhere deeeep in Africa so I would guess no.

What you've said is extremely disrespectful and unfortunately you weren't right. Ningbo is one of the China's richest cities with a population of over 5 millions, thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply